JANUARY 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Jane) #162

81 hours in and finally hit that surge of energy this evening everyone always talk about while fasting!

Got a 2-mile walk in with my work buds this afternoon.

Now I understand why they say don’t chase ketones. For that matter my glucose is more puzzling to me compare to my readings at lunch. Only had black coffee with pink salt and water. Why would my blood glucose go from 52 to 85 between noon and 10 pm with no calories consumed?

Our bodies sure are complex!

BG: 85
BK: 5.0
GKI: 0.94

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #163

Right. :slight_smile:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #164

That is why I love Gretchen Rubin, the Author of “better than before” about habit change.

It is really just a “know yourself better” questions.
“are you a moderator or an abstainer” there is no right or wrong way, it’s more of a “find out how you roll” so you can make things easier for you.

I am an abstainer, it is easier for me to have no [spoiler]cookies or insert your guilty pleasure here[/spoiler] at all ever, than having one, once in a while because that just sets my mind to making exeptions all the time.

Fighting/discussing over it will never come to a conclusion, because people are different.
But yeah I am trying to go more and more “don’t let perfect be the enemy of good” still abstaining from things that just don’t make me feel right.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #165

just past 30h. had a mean hungerpang during my lunch time.
its just passing, drinking my black coffe americano.

Maybe I’ll have dinner with a friend tonight (around 36h). I was at one of my go to places not too long ago and saw cool things on the menu
(always just go for drinks, never food)
[spoiler]they have snack portion meatballs and you can order coleslaw and a sourcream filled avocado on the side.[/spoiler]

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #166

Dr Fung says that around .5lbs/day is the max fat loss per day while fasting. Could be less if supplementing with [spoiler]broth/fats[/spoiler]. If you are taking a lot of salt you won’t see as much water loss. Also, I just learned that Motrin shuts off natriuresis. So meds could be an issue too.

:astonished:

Ooooo - this is my mantra! I’m going to check her out. Focusing on how much better I am now than this time last year or 5 years ago is really satisfying and motivating :blush:

Just passing 34hrs. Had a good day yesterday. Rode out the hunger waves by thinking of them in a positive light and also online “window shopping” for clothes - lol.

I read how a GKI between 6 and 9 is good for weight loss so I was already in the zone yesterday.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #167

I looove her podcast “Happier with Gretchen Rubin” I started at the beginning and have listened to every single episode. And Gretchen is a fellow ketonian herself.

(back and doublin' down) #168

It’s been a few months since I fasted…was good to read thru the thread this morning and catch up. Finally, completely unplanned, dropped into a fast starting Tuesday lunch cause the food I ate just tasted off, my stomach felt off and decided to just not eat for a few days…and Wow…Doug said it best:

Completed 58 hours before breaking fast last night. Now wish I’d powered thru for a third or fourth day. Fasting felt really good. Carbage over the holidays (yes, a month ago) set me back into a pattern of heartburn. Now any bite of something with carbs causes it to flare. Sticking mostly carnivore and resuming IF 18:6 as of today. May have to do these longer fasts more frequently to get this heartburn thing back under control.

Something that might have helped me continue this fast was doing AccuDetox at about the 36 hr mark. Have a colleague working on her certification. It’s an accupuncture treatment our agency uses for cravings of drugs and alcohol…maybe it helped with any food cravings I might have had?

Trust your endorsement and headed to find this. Podcasts keep me on track, keep my mind firing on positive food choices. 2 Keto Dudes, Human Performance Outliers, some of Tim Phariss’s guests, This American Life and Hidden Brain. Those are my fav’s.

Keep Calm Fast On!

(Shanda) #169

Broke with breakfast this morning at 30 hours. Woke up feeling really hungry and had a slight headache. My goal was 24 so I’m happy with the outcome. Starting weight 212.0 ending weight 210.6, expecting most of that to come back over the next couple days.
I think I will take today and tomorrow to refuel and aim for 48 starting sat night.
I was kinda scared of fasting, wasn’t sure I would have the will power. But, now that I’ve popped my fasting cherry, I’m excited for the next one.

(Heather) #170

Thank you for your response, Lisa. I’m doing all of those things, with the exception of the bone broth, so if need be, I will utilize that. I believe most of it for me is psychological hunger, not real hunger. I’d just like to have the will power to get to that 5th day. I can do it! :muscle:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #171

I Seriously love it, has not much to do with keto, but all about healthy mindsets, making stuff in life easier, re framing, and knowing yourself better.

I love the four tendencies she created and all the tips she gives on how you can set up your life, health and habits according to your tendency and make it work for you rather than against you.
Also, since the two sisters are rather different it always gives you more than one perspective and idea about things.

(Jane) #172

You did great! It gets easier the more you fast.

(Jane) #173

94 hours in. Going to have a BPC soon and then eat lunch with a friend in a couple of hours. Last readings from my Keto Mojo - gotta save those $$$ strips for my next EF.

BG: 60
BK: 6.6
GKI: 0.51

KCFO fellow fasters! Hope everyone has a great weekend.

I plan to be joining back in after this weekend. I’ve eaten enough already! :smile:

I mostly did TMAD after getting out of the Hospital just to help the system re-boot so to speak, and then mostly OMAD all this week. …So I’m ready for some Fasting already! :crazy_face:

Gluconeogenesis. Your body needed some glucose. Your liver provided it, especially since your glucose level was getting low.

(back and doublin' down) #176

our bodies are really quite intelligent!

(Jane) #177

Thanks. I was listening to Fung’s Fasting Book on the way home this evening and he mentioned that very thing. It explained how my blood glucose could rise 30 units on water. He said it was normal and not to think you were doing anything wrong. Was re-assuring.

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #178

Coming up on 58hrs (black coffee/tea, water electros, seltzer and ACV). Starting feeling mentally good yesterday. Really good :star_struck:. Productivity and energy are good. Hunger not too bad. 2 big waves, but I immediately started making a to do list. It passed without me even noticing since I was cleaning windows or something :joy:. Sleep was ok, but got up a bunch to deal with that 3rd seltzer and ACV.

Usually the Fri evening driving has me looking for the food coma, but I had a plan in place. Walk in the door, feed the kids and straight into a hot epsom salt bath. It was perfect!

Ketones: 2.6
Glucose: 81
GKI: 1.73

I’m wondering if GKI under 3 is my ticket to mental wellbeing. Tracking…

(Heather) #179

At 58 hours myself. Getting ready to do some strength training and kettlebell workouts. I’m finding this -16 degree weather is very depressing. I can only watch so much Netflix and play so many games with the family before going stir crazy :crazy_face:. Stupid Wisconsin winter :angry:.

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #180

4th day “water” fast. Not feeling my best today. Resurfacing of old issue. Hope it’s a healing crisis and I’ll come out the other side feeling better than ever! I’ll see how I feel tomorrow morning. Plan is to break the fast with broth tomorrow.

(Heather) #181

Almost to 85 hours. I think I’ll be able to make it to the 5th day. Super excited! I’ve always caved on day 4 in the past. Feeling good. Took the day off from exercising today. Trying to take it easy.