JANUARY 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Jane) #182

You can do it!!!

And it will feel so good when you do :smiley:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #183

16h inā€¦ I really would like to hit the 5 day mark once more. but getting to 72h would also already be niceā€¦
My horrible roommate is moving out mid-week, I really wonder how this will affect my mental state and productivity

(Brennan) #184

Been away for a while, fell off the wagon after the holidays ([spoiler]mostly booze kept to keto food[/spoiler]). Just doing a course correction now, 65 hours in was planning a 5 day. Honestly this time it just feels so easy to fast I might make it 7 days.
Just a little bit of salt every so often makes all the difference in the world.

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #185

Day 5 feeling much better. Pain is mostly gone. No hunger. Iā€™ll see how it plays out in terms of broth or nah.

(Allie) #186

Fasting today for the first time in a while. Iā€™m cold. Iā€™m grumpy. Iā€™ve got a headache despite sipping on salted water.

And Iā€™m wondering why Iā€™m doing this today :joy:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #187

20h headaches are subsiding slowly. Allie we can do this!

(Allie) #188

23 hours already and Iā€™m pleased this is only until tomorrow morning :grimacing:

How long are you aiming for Claudia?

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #189

72h i think (still have the breaking the 100h mark in the back of my mind though). 48h minimum tough. That is when fasting starts to become funā€¦

(Heather) #190

106 hours in! First time Iā€™ve made it this far. Iā€™m feeling great! Did some strength training and kettlebell swings this am. TBH, this fast has been a little ā€œdirtyā€ ([spoiler]BPC coffee[/spoiler] and [spoiler]egg[/spoiler]), but Iā€™m still counting it :grin:.

(Jane) #191

:clap:

(Heather) #192

Thank you very much!

(Allie) #193

Iā€™m just doing today and breaking with a fatty coffee tomorrow morning before a birthday lunch with my BF (his not mine) tomorrow, then Iā€™ll be back on it for an undecided amount of time. Just trying to negate any damage caused by the off plan meal Iā€™ll be having tomorrow.

Finally! ā€¦ Back to doing a Fast! This is the first time Iā€™ve Fasted since having to go into the Hospital a month ago. And Iā€™m really looking forward to it. - I was already getting some tummy grumblings today, which is actually a little early in for me, but I donā€™t mind at all. Been looking forward to it. :slight_smile:

Forgot to mention, just over 22 hrs. in. :slight_smile:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #195

29h going to bed now.
Had a great workout, I am picking up more speed on the treadmill, that is fun.
Body pump after nearly ā€œkilled meā€ but I feel good and my instructor told me sheā€™ll see me tomorrow, so there is no way I can skip :rofl::rofl:

So nice to be fasting happily, being productive and allā€¦ I really missed thatā€¦

(Brennan) #196

So I just tested my BG at 78 hours and Iā€™m down at 3.0 mmol/L (~54 mg/dl). I donā€™t know BK as Iā€™m out of strips and thereā€™s a winter storm outside so Iā€™m not driving to get more. Iā€™ve had low BG fasting before 3.6 -3.8 mmol/L during my Dec fast. This is the first time Iā€™ve seen anything this low.

Iā€™m going to break here as this is into hypoglycemia range and I live alone so if something happens to me thereā€™s nobody around to help. I feel fine, normal even. I can always fast again in a few days or weeks, Iā€™m going to err on the side of caution.

ā€œAlthough 3.3 or 3.9 mmol/L (60 or 70 mg/dL) is commonly cited as the lower limit of normal glucose, symptoms of hypoglycemia usually do not occur until 2.8 to 3.0 mmol/L (50 to 54 mg/dL).ā€

Has anyone here experienced readings this low before? *Iā€™m not on any sort of medication.

Happy fasting!

This :point_up: ā€¦ Always the BEST call! ā€¦ Iā€™m not one big on the numbers themselves, so canā€™t speak on that or answer your question. But Iā€™m sure some here probably can.

(Jane) #198

I know they say that but I hit 52 last week at 3 days in (72 hours) and felt GREAT. Blood ketones over 7, which is ā€œstarvationā€ mode but I was hardly starved. I felt energized and not shaky at all.

I went on a short 2-mile walk after those readings and my glucose was in the 80ā€™s by bedtime with nothing but salted water to drink. So my body made additional glucose it needed from my adipose tissues - it is smart. Trust it!

The ONLY time Iā€™ve had low blood sugar episodes where I was in danger of blacking out (tunnel vision) was when I was a carb-burner. I always carried granola bars in my backpack just in case. Now I just carry pepitas (pumpkin seeds) just to munch on. No ssues since keto.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #199

I think if I remember correctly Dr. Fung did discuss that in one of the earlier ā€œfasting talkā€ episodes.

What I remember them saying is that the BG value itself is not that relevant for the effects of hypoglycemia to hit, it is more the sudden drop in said values.

So someone that always has a bg around 160 has a sudden drop to 100 can have a severe reaction, while someon who is normally around 70 and steadily drops down to 54 can be perfectly fine.
Especially since your body is used to producing the BG you need.
He pointed out listening to your body and going by how it feels is the best way to figure things out for yourself.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #200

Hitting 36h feeling fine. Woke up 20 minutes before my alarm. A bit of a headache but a lot less than when I started my fast.
Still trying to figure out what caused my lymph nodes to swell, I didnā€™t have a lot of gunky vegetable oilsā€¦ :thinking::thinking:

(Allie) #201

40 hours, not long woken up and feel fine. Did well in the gym last night despite being fasted, normally I really struggle but not so much this time - I did skip cardio though and opted for a longer meditation instead (Iā€™ve made evening meditation part of my gym routine as a way of helping me stick with it).

I feel like I could easily keep going but will break this morning as planned due to the BFā€™s birthday lunch in a few hours, then itā€™ll be back to it.