JANUARY 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Jane) #121

How’s everybody doing so far? Anyone else still fasting?

43 hours in and hunger gone. Slept good last night - don’t always when I am fasting.

Jane, I seldom sleep well anytime, but fasting can make it more dicey.

I broke my last extended fast @ about 100 hours as I recall. (Maybe 95-ish) And now I’m focusing on just eating better in my normal deal which is 20-4 Intermittent Fasting.

Stan

(Jane) #123

Creeping up on 48 hours and so happy so have made it to this point as it gets easier now.

BG: 74
BK: 3.3
GKI: 1.25 :star_struck:

(Bob M) #124

20-4 is significant. I find that difficult to do, especially since I get home so late a few nights per week.

(Jane) #125

What about moving your 4-hr window to the morning? It is supposed to be better for lower blood sugar spikes from what I’ve read.

Thanks for the reply, Bob.

I suppose 20-4 is a pretty significant fasting window, but I don’t happen to struggle much with it most days. (Some, for sure…) And to be honest, I’m still in a state of flux, as to how to manage this new and improved body.

(A BODY that is on loan to me. When the time comes, I’d like to return it in better shape than its been for 5 decades…since it is a temporary, borrowed unit, wink wink)

I’ve never water fasted beyond 11 days. And I was pretty…um…OVER fed at the time. Now that I’ve shed half of former self, I usually do *dirty fasting for a few days at a time, and call it good.

*(some Healthy Fats added)

And @Janie, if I eat early, I GRAZE all day long.

PUH-thetic.

(Jane) #127

Oh, that’s not good! At least you recognize the pattern.

I still get upset at the advice to “eat 6 small meals a day” by standard dieticians. And wondered why I was hungry all the time and couldn’t lose weight on 1000-1200 cal/day. :rage:

Hell, I know now that is why I stalled out on Atkins back in 2005. I was eating protein ALL DAY. So even though my carbs were low I was still keeping my insulin elevated. And then without the fat to make the food delicious (was still buying into the low-fat bullshit) I got sick of the food, wasn’t losing weight so said [spoiler]fuck it[/spoiler] and gave up.

(Bob M) #128

That’s how I also started IF and longer fasts, as even though I was low carb, I was still doing the 5+ meals per day.

I think if you’re eating low fat and have insulin/blood sugar issues at all, you’re going to be hungry with the meals you have to eat.

Interesting thing though ( @ctviggen and @Janie ) there is a woman on another forum I frequent, who TOTALLY SWEARS by the 5 or 6 small meals per day protocol.

And she’s been pretty successful. :neutral_face::neutral_face::neutral_face::neutral_face:

I can’t understand it, knowing what I know about Insulin and metabolic syndrome. Professor FUNGmeister (and Co.) have totally changed my world. I used to be 333#. (173 today, but often under 170)

Care to guess what my life was like SQUEEZING my sorry behind into 52 inch pants, panting and wheezing whist prancing all about my backshop, pretending to work like I did in my 40’s??? Then sitting, moaning in my recliner for an hour or more after a big day, before I could relax??? Think I was happy???

Think again…

I used to “HURT all over, more than any other place.” And that was only after a normal day in the shop.

I can do 14 or 16 hours now, if I need to.

I will allow, however…that there is room for individual variation in people. WE ALL BEEZ a little different, I s’pose. If 5 or 6 meals works for you, I’ll shut up.

(Jane) #130

True - all different, but no need to shut up. All we can do is report our own personal experiences even if they vary all over the map. It might help someone else who has a similar body makeup/responses to food.

I could get away with eating 5 or 6 small meals when I was in my 20’s…but I hadn’t had kids yet which screwed up my hormones because I couldn’t lose weight after that very easily.

Good Lord I wish Dr. Fung had written his book The Obesity Code in the 80’s and I had read it!! It was like a huge light bulb went on above my head and all my struggles made sense! Others might look at my overweight body and assume I ate nothing but junk, closet ate, couldn’t stick to a diet, etc but I KNOW what and how I ate and that wasn’t the case.

Just grateful I discovered keto and fasting before I did any more damage than I already have.

Maybe a summation on my part? But I would probably venture to guess that she probably has been able to do this for a long while now and probably never had a big weight problem? - I know a few folks that could not only eat what they wanted, but could damn near eat nothing but junk food and still not hardly gain weight! … But I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who has gotten over-weight, that could then use the 5 or 6 meals a day to help them lose that weight again. - (Again, just my assumption) but if so, it truly just wouldn’t make much sense? I mean, if you have a body system that allows storage of fats easily to become an issue, how could it then utilize a multi-meal a day method for loosing all this stored fat? Again, not saying impossible, since we’ve all seen things that shouldn’t be able to happen, but somehow still do. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

(Jane) #132

56 hours in and feeling pretty good. On fasting cruise control now.

BG: 69
BK: 4.0 (highest measured so far)
GKI: 0.96 :heart_eyes_cat: :star_struck: :tada:

Since my goal is autophagy I feel like I have met it.

(Bob M) #133

We had high carb (two vegetarian females and their family) with us over the holiday, and they ate all the time, ate high carb, and all of them are thin. The family does eat meat, but the dad (meat eater) made about 1 pound of sausage for 8 people. I of course, ate well over that of my own meat by myself. Also, the sausage he made was sweet. He added some type of sweet sauce (ketchup?) to it. As someone who basically never has anything sweet and specifically tries not to have anything sweet, I was shocked. But I have a problem with sweet, and they don’t.

I finally made it 36 hours, with weight lifting and a HIIT workout this morning, though shorter than normal since I’m at the end of a cold.

Even though I’ve been IF and longer-term fasting for almost 2 years now, to me, fasting like this is never easy. I almost broke multiple times yesterday.

My goal is to add two days per week of 36 hours or so.

The good news is that I was not that cold. I have been taking iodine, so that might help. I have also been eating and not fasting, so maybe that helped.

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #134

I know this was ages ago, but :hugs:
This was me all day yesterday. Nice to have company? :laughing:

LOL Also me right now, but I am am really focused on ending this pattern.

:raising_hand_woman: OK, not still fasting, but restarted. Black coffee/tea, water, electros, seltzer and ACV. IOW the tried and true fasting liquids protocol. I’d like to do 4 days of this then back out of the fast with some[spoiler] broth and fat tea/coffee[/spoiler] for a couple of days.

Is there evidence that higher ketones = autophagy?

Glad I found this thread again! Support really helps. Could have done with some last night!

(Jane) #135

Not ketones, but GKI under 1.0 so your blood glucose has to be very low also. It is the protocol for cancer patients, so that is what I aim for. I can only get my glucose down that low and ketones that high with extended day fasting.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #136

Yeah, My moodswings were spectacular lately. I am getting back to my workout routine which is helping a lot.

x-mas season and everything around is always a huge challenge for me, not because of the food though. It’s when I miss my grandpa most (I know it has been 18 years, but still), All my social meetups and groups go on a break, everyone is busy with their families and yeah the cold, grey weather is also never helping… ( I am a summer and sunshine person down to my bones)
I really have to make sure I am out of the country next year around that time… (somewhere warm and sunny)

Currently getting to 8h. I am planing on 36 - 48 h for the time being. a bit tired, looking forward to my zumba class after work, and maybe the body toning class after, because I have to skip body pump tomorrow.

(She had one feck to give and that feck is gone.) #137

I had to look up GKI. Perfect Keto has an article I’m going to read in a minute. I used the calculator though. Yesterday afternoon’s numbers:
BG - 100
BK: .9
GKI: 6.17 :grimacing: Not exactly under 1.

Coming up on 12hrs…

This is the lancet I used yesterday. It drew enough blood for ketone and glucose testing. Morph does not support laundry folding…apparently :unamused:

(Jane) #138

69 hours in and feeling a bit cold. Sitting in my office with a light jacket on and getting strange looks since I am NEVER cold LOL. Except when 60+ hours fasted

(Central Florida Bob ) #139

I’ve had moments of doubt, but my wife talks about actually checking her car’s odometer to make sure she wasn’t getting up sleep walking and then sleep driving somewhere for something to eat. I never went that far.

When you’re fastidiously watching your CICO and it Just Doesn’t Work like they say, naturally you doubt yourself. In my case, I was 20 or 22 (so 150 years ago) and my doctor had given me a 1200 calorie a day diet. Now it’s completely understandable: your metabolism slows down and you stop losing, but back then was the first time I ever tried this. Of course, my doctor told me it was my fault it wasn’t working and that I must have been cheating.

I eventually gave up and stopped seeing that doctor.

Five or six years later, I found Atkins (late 70s) and lost what I needed to lose. The biggest mistake of my life was falling for the low fat mania in the mid 80s and abandoning Atkins.

Obligatory fasting content: I’m either going to do ADF next week or do a single three-day straight fast and I don’t know which one to do. The results of my 5 day fast last week are a little hard to understand. I seem to have lost a couple of pounds, but far less than the 3/4 to 1 lb/day I expected.

(Jane) #140

Going to Pendery’s World of Chilies and Spices here in Ft Worth on my lunch break. Founded in 1870 and similar to Penzey’s Spices but cheaper.

My husband said it might be detrimental to our checkbook to go to a spice shop while fasting!! :laughing: