January 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(What The Fast?!) #285

Hey fam! Wrapped up my fast early by breaking it last night at 49 hours (I was going for 100 hours, but I wanted to work out today and had very little energy on my fast this go round). Had dinner last night, worked out this morning at 6AM, ate breakfast (bacon, eggs, cheese, avocado, olive oil, coffee w/1/2T MCT oil - super fatty meal) and started a new 48+ hour fast. I’ll do a bike ride this afternoon and I’ll break Friday either with breakfast or lunch. I’m traveling tomorrow so should be an easy day of fasting.

Happy fasting!

(KCKO, KCFO) #286

Planning on finishing up January and starting Feb. with a 36+hrs fast I had my last food, a chocolate fat bomb, at 9PM last night.

yayhowfun, good idea eating when no energy. Hope the longer fast goes well for you. And enjoy the skiing trip.

Justin_Jordan, hope the rest of your fast went well. A couple of podcasts have mentioned the body releasing stored glucose during extended fasting.

KCFO

(Justin Jordan) #287

It did! No problems, not particularly difficult.

I’ve been a type 2 diabetic for a loooooong time - I was diagnosed something like fifteen years ago, and I was pretty definitely diabetic for years before that.

So I’m not necessarily expecting super fast results. And to be fair, my blood sugar is under pretty good control. It’d be totally normal if I were back on Glipizide.

(What The Fast?!) #288

Thanks! Next time I’ll just try supplementing with some fat. By my calculations, I need some added fat in order to not reduce metabolism for extended fasting. Can’t wait for the ski trip!! I love it because we do IF - coffee and avocado for breakfast and then straight thru to dinner. I find a can have wine and some carbs and still maintain ketosis because we are so active all day!

(Jennifer) #289

Going on 72 hours, and feeling good. I have been taking my blood glucose and ketone readings trying to get my Glucose Ketone ratio in the therapeutic range of one and finally hit it today. Going to go at least one more day, maybe two…

Here is more info on the GKI…

(Jun Yutuc) #290

Gurus, can you share me your ideas on this.

I am attempting to do my first ever EF. I am on my 23 hour fast at the moment and will go the gym in a few hours for 30-45 mins cardio and moderate whole body workout. I am planning to do 72 hours.

My question is do drinking soup can break my fast? We Filipinos have a famous dish called Sinigang or I think called Tamarind soup. Since that’s served for dinner, I had a half cup sip of it, hoping it did not break my fast so that I can still continue it.

“Sinigang w/ Salmon”

(KCKO, KCFO) #291

@fait, you should have bone broth not a regular soup that has meats and possibly sweeteners. The Sinigang I have had would have too much other things besides the broth in it to keep you in fasting mode.

That being said, if you are fasting for something besides weight loss, you would probably be ok with such small amount when you feel you really need something to help you feel better. You could also do something like coconut oil in tea.

KCFO

(What The Fast?!) #292

I would imagine that Sinigang has sugar, as tamarind is a fruit. When I feel like I need something, I heat up water and add salt and NoSalt. It tastes like broth (to me anyway) and has no calories, carbs, protein. A lot of people use bone broth while fasting but I prefer to avoid protein.

(Jun Yutuc) #293

@collaroygal: Thank you so much for clearing that in my head, been wondering about that for days already.

I am doing IF so that I can maximize the fat burning while in ketosis. I haven’t pulled off a more than 24hr fast yet as I am not ready not until today, unfortunately had a half cup of that soup already. I don’t know if I should end it and just try another attempt next week and this time, will just be water or greentea.

(What The Fast?!) #294

Keep going! You’re already 24 hours in, see how far you can make it - just stick with water/green tea or whatever else you feel comfortable with.

(What The Fast?!) #295

Y’all. I’m SO hungry today! I put 2 tsp of cream in my coffee today (have been drinking it black on fasting days recently) and I’m not sure if that’s why, but I want to eat my leg.

…As I type this, I realize I also did a double workout yesterday, which is the more likely cause… I did a kettlebell class in the morning, followed by a very hearty keto breakfast and then a 15 mile bike ride in the afternoon.

In fact, sorry for the whining, it’s all making sense now. :slight_smile: I have energy though, not feeling lethargic like the last fast, so I know I can push through. :smiley:

(Jun Yutuc) #296

@KetoLikeaLady: Thank you for the encouragement! I was walking back and fourth in our corridor awhile ago thinking if ill break my fast already or not, even my wife was bothered what was I thinking so seriously. Lol! Then, I told her ill just eat and do my attempt of EF next time but your message came in and telling me to go on. So that is what I did! I am now on my 29th hour (except that I had a half cup of soup earlier).

Since this is my first attempt to do EF. How will I know if I have to eat already? What are the signs and symtoms that I can not continue further and have to break the fasting.

(What The Fast?!) #297

If you have lots of body fat, you can fast a very long time (people have done 10, 20, and even 30 day fasts), but you don’t have to. Set a goal for yourself and at the end of that time, if you’re hungry, go ahead and eat! Usually signs that it’s time to eat are: nausea, very cold hands/fat, or just not feeling well in general. If you get light-headed, just put some salt on your tongue - that’s a sign that you’re low on electrolytes, not that you need to end the fast.

(Jun Yutuc) #298

@KetoLikeaLady: one thing is for sure, i still have lots of body fats in me. I will take note of those signs. Coz right now, it is 2am in the morning and I just got home from the gym (moderate lifting and cardio) but couldnt go to sleep yet. I dont feel hunger but I keep swallowing my saliva and little bit of putting pressure on my molars but not griding.

(Phil Gilbert) #299

Right at 96 hours with only water and coffee. Was doing great but really started to get some cravings this afternoon. Thought I was over the HUMP on day 2. Does salt help with this? Had some salt just a bit ago after reading that it could help combat some lightheadedness.

(KCKO, KCFO) #300

Salt for sure to get over those humps, for both you guys. And lots of water. Are your other electrolytes good? Enough potassium and magnesium? They are all key, salt (sodium) helps keep them all in balance, but you need to be getting all three. Have you tried Brenda’s ketoaide? It can help with any fast that is over a day long.

(What The Fast?!) #301

Hi all! I was RAVENOUS today! We are traveling to Vancouver and have been in airports/plane for the last 6 hours…we are with friends so that’s fun. :slight_smile: We usually cocktail in the airport lounge but I knew I’d need to break my fast if I wanted to, so I decided against it. I’m just about 36 hours now, waiting on our (delayed) plane from LAX to Vancouver. The good news is that as soon as we land, we’ll go to sleep, so I’ll make it to 48 hours at least before breaking the fast! That will be two 48 hour fasts this week before 4-5 days of feasting and skiing!

(Jun Yutuc) #302

Shall we continue our discussion on the new topic created February 2018 IF/EF chat?

(Liz ) #303

New Feb thread!

(Robin) #304

@Justin_Jordan I am also type 2. I have been doing intermittent fasting for a few days each week for about 4 weeks now. When I first started, I had no change at all in my sugar levels. I have only really seen my levels go down about 10 points in the last two weeks. I think it just takes time. I also hear that zinc and the amino acid L Arganine also help with insulin resistance as well. I think I will check those out and see what happens.