It gets easier

encouragement

(G. Andrew Duthie) #1

For folks who’ve only been at this days, weeks, or even months, don’t be discouraged if you are tempted by sweet treats or other carbage, particularly during the holidays.

I’ve been low-carb on and off for years, but keto for much of the last year.

I’ve had many a time where the temptation of sweets was too much, and I gave in. I’m thinking of Halloween nights where one piece of candy became nearly a whole bowlful (with the guilt multiplied by the fact that it wasn’t even really GOOD chocolate).

I’ve been surprised this year that, despite having some pretty stressful stuff going on, when my wife and youngest son spent a day baking various kinds of cookies, I’ve been able to walk past the containers of cookies without really even wanting one. That hasn’t always been the case, and it suggests to me that I’ve finally been doing this long enough, and consistently enough, that the old, bad habits and patterns have been broken. Or perhaps that the additional fat from keto was what I needed to get over the temptation hump.

Doesn’t mean I’ll never eat another cookie ever again, swearsies. But what used to be difficult is now easier. And I bet it will be for you, too, eventually. So hang in there, and look forward to the day when the cravings ease, and you make the better choice without much thinking about it.

(AnnaLeeThal) #2

Thanks for this. I really think fat is the key to resisting, and having a Keto friendly substitute to the carnage helps too. I can have a little 99% chocolate and feel totally satisfied if I feel the need to indulge.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #3

Agree completely.

The growth of really good keto recipes is a big help. Having the ability to whip up a batch of keto egg nog, or similar keto options for some of my favorites, makes it much easier to avoid saying “screw it, I want some egg nog,” and ending up in a downward spiral of sugar.

(Larry Lustig) #4

I’m in the office early, all alone, looking at this:

No one would know.

Not tempted.

(Wish they wouldn’t have almonds in the break room, however)

I must be cured, because looking at sugary snacks provokes the same response in me as looking at wax apples. My brain just goes straight to “pretty, but not edible”.

(Guardian of the bacon) #6

Carbage all of it, good on you for bypassing it Larry.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #7

Had friends over last night for dinner. My wife, who isn’t fully on board with keto (yet) has been baking like mad lately. Cookies, brownies, etc.

Did not have any of that. Made a pan of keto cheesecake brownies instead. Cream cheese, sour cream, eggs, more eggs, etc. While it’s probably better in the long run to get past the need for sweets, the keto version is still orders of magnitude better than the standard version. :slight_smile:

(Tom Seest) #8

Growing up as a Christian, this was one of my favorite hymns. I couldn’t always hear it, but I could read at the time. I’m not trying to “convert” people here. I’m saying that you can find that support friend or friends, and modify the wording for it.

I’ll post it here, but I’m going to say that the message is about dealing with temptation. In my case, I surround myself with people like you to help “carry me through”.

With a little creative editing, you can revise this song so that it applies to you, if you aren’t a Christian:

Lyrics
Yield not to temptation, for yielding is sin
Each victory will help you or some others to win
Fight manfully onward, dark passions subdue
Look ever to Jesus and He’ll carry you through

Just ask the Savior to help you
To comfort, strengthen and keep you
He is willing to aid you
And He will carry you through

Ask the Savior to help you
To comfort, strengthen and heal you
Oh, He is willing to aid you
Jesus will carry you through

Shun evil companions, bad language disdain
God’s name hold in reverence, don’t take it in vain
Be thoughtful and honest, kindhearted and true
Look ever to Jesus, He’ll carry you through

Oh, ask the Savior to help you
Oh, He is willing to aid you
Jesus, He will carry you through

All I wanna do is ask the Savior to help you
Comfort, strengthen and keep you
He is willing to aid you
And He will carry you through

I wanna just ask the Savior to help you
He is willing to aid you
He will carry you through

(Larry Lustig) #9

I heard someone say once “when it comes to temptation, the secret is not resisting it but avoiding it”.

(Tom Seest) #10

Yes. And over time, it becomes easy.

Now, I can walk through the sugar aisles at convenient stores and truck stops (We call them the Valley of the Shadow of Death), without any temptation. But, in the beginning, it could be difficult.

Now, those items just bring up bad memories of how I used to feel.

(Jake P) #11

I keep waffling back and forth in my head on whether or not I’ll take a “cheat day” for the holiday. I tell myself that I have had 40 years of cheat days and then it’s not so hard. Just in case I am smoking a brisket. Nothing can sway me if I have a brisket around.

@larry My office also has a dedicated treat cubicle, I haven’t even looked at it in over a month.

(Marc) #12

It sounds like you live in a similar situation to mine. My wife isn’t low carb and my kids, 10 and 13, eat what they want. My wife will keeps candy and other carbage around the house. I try to coax them into eating low carb, but nobody has really gone for it. For Christmas I’m having my diabetic brother-in-law and his diabetic son over. I try to tell them to eat low carb, but they know “better”. It makes it a little more challenging when everyone isn’t on the same page…

(G. Andrew Duthie) #13

We have brisket for Christmas day. I really need to either get a smoker or figure out how to smoke on my grill. I still get decent results, but I want to try an all-day smoked brisket, too.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #14

It does, but over time, things can change. Everyone liked my cheesecake brownies, so that was a win. And it doesn’t take many of them to start making progress. And while my wife and the boys sometimes have sides that I won’t eat, like rice or potatoes, more often than not, we all have green veggies.

(Guardian of the bacon) #15

I love smoking meats, I just have an elcheapo propane box smoker but it serves my needs fine. I usually smoke pork butts, haven’t done a brisket yet. My son did one along with pork belly for thanksgiving, it was divine.

(Jake P) #16

Nice. Brisket is the best,
I have an Ugly Drum Smoker I built myself from a 55 gallon drum. You can buy a kit at Big Pappa Smokers it comes with all the hardware and the drums are easy enough to find on Craigs List. I’m now making the best BBQ I have ever had.

There ya go! Best strategy ever. :+1:

(Karen Parrott) #18

Agreed!!! It took me a long time and a lot of experimenting with foods that kicked up my cravings, but I finally figured out that the EZ no brainers were all grains and most sugars (85% chocolate is okay for me, a little bit).

The harder foods that were causing me to go off course were emulsifiers like guar and xantham gums. That stuff is in many foods, even in full fat coconut milk (some brands).

It took 1.5 to 2 years for me to not have some over the top cravings after being a binge eater for 40 years. Plus, figuring out the emulsifier thing was very, very hard. Onward to all. Don’t ever give up. It does indeed get easier. Karen P.

(eljay716) #19

Wow I may have to check into this. Thank you for the info.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #20

I’ve had a very good Christmas, in terms of keeping focus on eating what I want, and not eating stuff that in past holidays would have ended up in my mouth by habit or default (family gatherings, for example).

Saturday, for example, I knew we were going to visit with family, and would not necessarily have consistent keto-friendly options. So I made sure to have a very solid breakfast (scrambled eggs with sausage bits, cream cheese, etc.), and also brought along a container of pork cracklins to snack on before we got there (2 hour drive). Brought along some of my favorite sugar free ginger beer, so I would not have to worry about what to drink (though water is always an option).

They had some brie in filo dough, so I dug out some of the brie on its own and had that. Also had spinach and artichoke dip. So between what I’d brought, and what was available, I kept solidly keto despite many things on offer that weren’t keto. And I skipped dessert entirely, knowing that I had some keto brownie cheesecake bites waiting for me at home.

For Christmas dinner, my wonderful wife made pot roast, so no problem there.

Not intended as a brag…just a reminder that one of the things we can do at the holidays is prepare…both mentally, and in terms of eating ahead of time to minimize hunger and temptation.

The other alternative, as @carl has suggested for travel, is to fast. I find that a little harder to do in social situations that revolve around food, but it’s a good option too.