Is there a disadvantage to training LCHF then racing while carbed up?

(Ross) #1

Has anyone run into issues having trained wholly LCHF/KETO but then on race day carbing up?

I would think if we’ve regained our metabolic flexibility, there shouldn’t be an issue…but I don’t want to ass/u/me! Long term keto training should boost mitochondrial density…so then firing those buggers up with a little extra sugar could be an advantage?

My fear is about half way thru the race I’ll crash and have a slight delay until I can plug into my ketones.

(Carl Keller) #2

@screenack is probably twice the age of most carb-burning marathoners and when the race is over, he goes home and does chores while the carbies go home and die (a little).

(less is more, more or less) #3

Of course, @CarlKeller exaggerates, but it sure is fun to read.

If you’re fat adapted, you’ll be more than fine. You don’t have to trust my word. I ran an 8 miler two weeks before my first half, well into being fat-adapted, and was astounded at the difference in my body’s energy levels. On carbs, I’d limp over the 8 mile mark. No longer.

Speaking of not taking my word, Phinney and Volek have studied the matter. You have science, not marketing, behind you on low-carb.

(Ross) #4

Hi @Screenack & @CarlKeller,

Thanks for the input. I’m 4 or 5 years into this and have done several 2 to 5 mile swims, both front crawl and fly, without carbs. I either swim fasted or eat a bit of bacon and heavy cream…and that works great!

What I’m wondering is if there’s an advantage to training low carb and then going high carb on race day? Has anyone here tried that?

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #5

Hey Ross

Check out Thomas DeLauer on Youtube, he lost a shitload of weight on the Keto diet and has a lot of videos about carb cycling, fasted workouts and everything inbetween.

(less is more, more or less) #6

I haven’t, nor plan to. I hear good things about nutrient cycling, but my body simply doesn’t handle carbs well. I am an old man and this is good enough for me.

According to Dr Peter Brukner it really depends on the person. Quite a few professional sportspeople do it that way :slightly_smiling_face: