Is the “too much protein turns to sugar” a myth?

(LeeAnn Brooks) #1

Just want to hear something definitive on this.
I know there’s a debate on how much protein is too much, but I thought it was still a tenant of Keto that too much was indeed bad.
I’m sure I heard 2KD’s saying that one should eat the least amount of protein necessary as excess protein turns to sugar and thus fat of not burned.

Now all I’m hearing is this is a myth.

So I’d like to know what everyone’s take on it is. I don’t care so much about the debate over how much is too much, but rather whether excess protein turns to sugar through gluconeogenesis.

And if it’s a myth, why would it be necessary to stay moderate protein beyond controlling insulin.

Whoa! Dr. Phinney's take on protein...correct or incorrect?
Keto diet, Protein gr/kg of body weight?
Excess Protein Discussion

:policeman: 100% correct. Excess protein can be turned to sugar. I did a lot of research on this topic in depth. That is why it is recommended to add extra fat instead of extra protein if you desire more calories. Our bodies are amazing at what they can do.

I haven’t heard this before, I was under the impression that excess of any marco gets stored as fat not sugar, very interested in reading the responses by more learned posters.

Can you provide some links to the research you have done? Or elaborate on your answer.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #5

The premise of Keto is that sugar makes us fat, not fat. It’s due to the hormone insulin, not that the actual sugar converts to fat, but that the increased insulin triggers the body to store fat. While fat has very minimal insulin reaction so the fat is able to be burned. Thus why a high fat/high carb diet is the worst. Because it triggers the body to store fat AND you’re giving it excess fat at the same time.

(TJ Borden) #6

I’m curious to see what people come up with, but gluconeogenesis is demand driven, not supply diriven. It happens when your liver needs to produce glucose because you haven’t eaten enough for the systems that need it.

Yes I understand the premise, I was questioning the protein to sugar conversion in your initial question. If excess protein does indeed turn into sugar before being stored as fat then I would assume that that in itself would cause an insulin spike without even having ingested carbs.

This was my understanding too. Hopefully @The-Carb-Cop provides some science.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #9

So you would say that it is a myth?

(TJ Borden) #10

I don’t know. I know gluconeogenesis is demand driven, but I can’t tell you want happens with excess protein. I know that what @richard has mentioned several times on the podcast is that it’s better to err on the side of going over on protein versus not eating enough, and that the levels of protein that cause concern are WAY higher than most people could really eat even if they tried.

If you go to YouTube and type in “dr berg”, you will find it in one of his many short tutorials on this subject. Dr Berg is 100% keto knowledgeable. He will show you with diagrams, explanations, how the organs do this and that, with references to back it up, and on and on. He is so into knowledge about how our body works with keto that’s its almost scary with how much information you will get from him.

I can’t say I am not disappointed with your answer “watch youtube” is the depth of your research on a topic. I have watched most of dr bergs youtube already but I will try to find the youtube he has done on this topic and hope for the best.

(TJ Borden) #13

Dr Berg has a lot of good info, but he also approaches keto from a mostly vegetarian angle and had products to sell, so I wouldn’t say his opinion is infallible.

(Stacy Blanchard) #14

I don’t think anyone knows 100% of Keto; the science is still being done.

It was in regard to a question that someone had about why they have came to a stall for weight loss. But I will also try to look for it again later because I still have a visual of all the diagrams and charts he used, so I may find it easier. Then I will post the link back to you. Hope this helps a bit.

(TJ Borden) #16

We can ask @atomicspacebunny. I’m pretty sure she has all of Dr Bergs links bookmarked :joy:

I love his segment on mineral water. I buy two cases on every Costco run now.

I can live with that.:heavy_check_mark:

(Stacy Blanchard) #18

I like the science and the conjectures of Dr. Ben Bikman who is a metabolic researcher. He is doing ongoing studies and is very well antiquated with this topic.

I’m pretty sure that your right!

(Brian) #20

Ben Bickman and Ted Naiman are docs that are very pro protein.

While I was looking for it, Stacy posted an excellent video of Dr. Bickman. It’s a good talk and worth the 40 minutes or so.