Keto diet, Protein gr/kg of body weight?

I’m using Cronometer to track food, it recommends 1.6gr/kg of body weight. Other calculators suggest less. I have lost 11lbs in 6 weeks on a Keto diet, may lose 5 more, but I’m now trying to lift weights to build some muscle. I’m 5’6" 151lb, 65 yrs old, what is a good amount of protein for me to eat on a Keto Diet.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

For what it’s worth, which may be nothing, I’m 74 (soon to be 75), weigh about 145 +/-, < 15% body fat. I eat 120 grams of protein per day. That works out to 1.8 gr/Kg total body weight; or, about 2.15 gr/Kg lean weight.

I always considered 1-2g/kg (lean bodyweight) adequate, the lower numbers for not active ones or people who have problems when eating more protein.
I do 1.5-3g/kg myself as it’s the lowest I am able to do and I never felt any problem with going over 2g/kg for longer. It’s just unnecessary for most and a noticeable burden for some, not for me and many others. I would aim for 1.5-2g/kg for lean bodyweight, most amateur and smarter bodybuilders liked that range. It’s okay on keto too and we don’t even need to fear from its effect on insulin when we eat little carbs…

(Cristian Lopez) #4

Yeah I feel great on 160-170 g of protein a day weighing 137-140lb 5 “6”

I have read or listened to several sources with info like,
" Eating Too Much Protein . … When you eat more protein than your body needs, some of its amino acids will be turned into glucose via a process called gluconeogenesis ( 2 ). This can become a problem on very-low-carb, ketogenic diets and prevent your body from going into full-blown ketosis .
That’s why I want to get protein intake into the the correct range for me.

(Doug) #6

Does this really happen, though? If one’s eating carbs, then no more glucose is needed - why would the body make more? If one’s eating ketogenically, gluconeogenesis is indeed occurring, but it’s the liver making glucose from fat - and not much glucose is needed, i.e. most of the body is running on ketones.

I think there is a fairly common opinion that “excess protein gets turned into sugar,” but in practice that is not true on a ketogenic diet, from what I’ve seen. It’s common to see people eat “a lot” of protein and have their blood sugar barely budge, or even not move at all.

I don’t know if it really happens, I just know I have seen it quoted several times, and I don’t know if I have seen a actual study. But, when I get some time, I’ll search. Putting a roof on my shed, need to finish before wind or rain.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #8

(Doug) #9

Ha! I certainly can understand that. :slightly_smiling_face:

Here’s a thread from the past with a pretty good discussion on it.