Is all oil considered junk food?

(KM) #41

I keep thinking that I know plenty of people who would sign up to be guinea pigs as long as they were representing their own pet WOE, “ethical” or not. I mean, if someone said to me hey, I’ll give you $ and I’ll provide you with all the organic pastured-animal fat you need for the next six months (or six years) as long as you limit yourself to this fat only and keep a food diary, I’d be signing up tomorrow.

(And I’m guessing if you gave the same deal to a vegan, substituting olive oil or even soybean oil, they’d be delighted too.)

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #42

Here is a comparative graph, laying it out visually. The table is sorted by saturated fat content, but that happens to put most of the high-PUFA oils at the top of the list anyway:

Olive oil looks favourable, based on current health understandings; a happy medium…but I would still like to vary fats on occasion.

Lard is not bad either, which is good for us this side of the pond given the recent olive crop failures and collapse of the porcine industry in all but real terms…lard is very affordable; pence not pounds.