Is all oil considered junk food?

(Luza Hazel) #1

I recently did an experiment with consuming full fat coconut milk and didn’t experience the typical loose stools I experience after consuming coconut oil.

How many of you consume oil daily? Even olive oil, avocado oil, etc.

(Allie) #2

Likely the MCT’s in coconut oil causing that issue. I only use coconut or ghee for cooking, occasionally lard / tallow when I think of it. Coconut oil daily in coffee. Olive oil here and there but don’t really like it.

(Pete A) #3

I eat 2 teaspoons of coconut oil and 2 teaspoons of ghee everyday. Eat cooked veggies with butter too.

I only use coconut oil sometimes, when I run out of lard/schmalz or the food is for my SO as well (and not pork. even he understands he can’t complain about lard when it’s pork already). I consider coconut oil perfectly fine but I barely eat any anyway. I try to avoid using added fat in general but sometimes it’s needed.
We consume a tiny olive oil left after we ate out the fish/cheese from some Italian edible gift. Very little per year.
We are sturdy so we don’t feel the difference, merely know about it. I mean, cornflower oil vs whatever we eat now. Cornflower oil is the number one cooking oil in Hungary, by FAR. Mom only used that if I remember and it’s a very successful brainwashing, she was a smart one born in a peasant family… In her life, cooking fat changed drastically. (She still often ate pork fat - the fat tissue I disliked without meat so only she ate it, nice dinner for her. with bread, of course - but she cooked with that inferior thing.) I was born into conflower oil being the only valid option for cooking. It took a long time to change that but it went quickly, fortunately coconut oil just arrived and got popular in some circles around that time. Who knows, maybe without paleo getting popular I still would cook with cornflower oil…? Maybe not.

(KM) #5

In my opinion the difference between junk oil and oil that’s acceptable is how it’s processed. I don’t eat anything that requires high heat and chemicals to squeeze the oil out of it. So basically olive, coconut, and avocado are okay to me. I also tend to avoid seed / nut oils because they go rancid, and I prefer not to cook with olive oil because it changes chemical composition at high heat. So it goes in salads for me.

(Doug) #6

Olive and avocado oils regularly. Shots of olive oil are tasty and (don’t tell my wife) if the bottle is almost empty I’ll just finish it off with a few big swigs.

(Chuck) #7

I cook my bacon then use the bacon grease to cook my eggs. My wife will cook up a lot of bacon at times and save the grease. She makes her own bacon bits for salads and even adding bacon bits to scrambled eggs. Depending on what we are having we use butter, bacon grease, olive oil or coconut oil to cook with.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #8

I use Ghee, Butter and Fats from Meats. Plus Olive oil but thats usually as a dressing not for cooking.
… And one I forgot. I often marinate with yogurt and cook in the fat from that. if that counts?

1 Tablespoon of Coconut oil: 14 grams of fat. With coconut milk, there is a huge difference between brands.
I have seen labels of 4 grams of fat up to 57 grams of fat per cup. Big difference there.
Oil is a product that you need to start off small and increase over time. Olive oil, coconut oil, MCT and butter. I do not overindulge in the oils, except for butter on my wife’s sour-dough rye bread 1x week.

(KM) #10

Gross! Just kidding, each to his own. I can consume half a stick of good butter using my fingernail.

(Doug) #11

:slightly_smiling_face: Butter - just nick off a little corner to eat. Yum, that’s good! Another little piece… Yes, the butter stick gets pretty small.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

The objection is to highly processed seed oils (soybean, canola, corn, sunflower, safflower, cottonseed, etc.). The fruit oils (avocado, coconut, olive, and also palm oil) are okay, because they require very little in the way of processing. But watch the smoke point and don’t overheat them. Better to use them on your salad and to cook with butter/ghee, bacon grease, lard, or tallow.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #13

Prior to Keto I used Sesame seed oil quite often. In small amounts but has a nice flavour in stir frys.
I know sesame seeds are Keto but what about the oil?

(Luza Hazel) #14

I’m fine digestive wise consuming MCT/liquid coconut oil but eventually develop a skin rash.

I can consume a whole can of organic coconut milk without gums and with 67 grams of fat no problem. I’m thinking it’s because of the vitamins and minerals in the coconut milk help my body process the fat the same way a whole food does. The same way the vitamins and minerals in butter help our bodies process the fat.

In theory, is isolated fat without vitamins and minerals causing an imbalance?

(Luza Hazel) #15

Where do we find non-baking lard?

(M) #16

I feel like it does cause an imbalance. Anything unnatural really doesn’t feel good to my body and digestive system. I continue to try coconut oil though because I get so bloated eating too many nuts, or too many avocados, and being pescatarian I need added fats. I have found some olives online that don’t have vinegar or lye, and are just cured in sea salt. Not sure how I would do with them. Im also doing a tablespoon of salmon oil but the tocopherols and processing make it taste like medicine to me. EV cod liver oil did not go over well yesterday. Avoiding canned cod liver due to PCBs… Eating feels like a really big challenge anymore since my surgery.

Problem with coconut oil right now is reflux. Coconut flakes don’t do this to me so much but I don’t like sweet stuff. Perhaps I can learn to tolerate the sweetness. Is organic coconut milk basically unsweetened shredded coconut blended with water? Why are they adding water? I see one brand that is canned that has no added ingredients, but does the canning make it acidic tasting?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #17

I’m not so sure about that, since 100 g of sesame seeds contains 23.4 g of carbohydrate (source: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Food Data Central site).

And the oil has to be extracted by the same industrial refining process required by the other industrial seed oils. It’s not so much that these oils are “not keto,” since they contain very little, if any carbohydrate. The reason we don’t recommend them is that they are as unhealthy as any other processed food; in particular, they contain a high quantity of polyunsaturated fatty acids that we did not evolve to handle well. Furthermore, these PUFA’s are easily oxidised, even in the bottle, to say nothing of when they are heated.

(KM) #18

The oil is keto too, but it tends to go rancid.

(KM) #19

I have to edit what I said because I was totally wrong. At least I’m humble! Coconut Water is the liquid inside the coconut. For whatever reason, it’s not part of coconut milk. Coconut milk is traditionally made by grating the white inner flesh of mature coconuts and mixing the shredded coconut pulp with a small amount of hot water in order to suspend the fat present in the grated pulp. Strange that they don’t just heat the coconut water and use that, it would add a lot of flavor.

A fresh coconut is really something.

opening a coconut.

And there’s actually another layer outside the brown one, I believe.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

What kind of fat? There are saturated fats, mono-unsaturated fats, and polyunsaturated fats. The latter we need in only a very small quantity, though a couple of types are esssential. Saturated fat helps raise HDL, and mono-unsaturates are used for energy, with or without vitamins and/or minerals.

If you have any doubt about a fat source, however, be sure to eat it as part of a whole food, or as one of the cooking fats the human race has been using since pre-history. That way you can be sure your body will use it properly.

What does this term mean? Lard is the rendered fat of pigs. Leaf lard, from the fat around the kidneys, is particularly prized for its flavour and texture, but any lard can be cooked with.