Is all oil considered junk food?

(Luza Hazel) #21

The oil can be considered keto but I wouldn’t consume it because it is rancid.

I remember watching a documentary years ago and they were talking about how the Egyptians fermented sesame seed flour/paste into edible food; like how milk is fermented into cheese.

What kind of nuts are you eating?

Baking lard is the only type of lard I’ve seen in a local grocery store and it has added BHT/BHA synthetic antioxidants. Do you render your own lard or do you purchase it from a local farm?

(M) #22

i’m eating pecans.

I was eating walnuts, pecans are doing better with me. all nuts are raw and unpasteurized.

when I ate pasteurized walnuts that was the worst.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #23

I’ve rendered my own tallow, but not my own lard. I supposed I could, but it is readily available in one-pound blocks from the local supermarket. It depends on the brand, whether it is additive-free or not. But with or without BHT/BHA, I’ve never seen any that was called “baking lard,” so I was curious.

Leaf lard is often prized in baking, but myself, I can’t tell any difference in the result.

My data says 11g net but 23 doesn’t seem a problem either, who does eat sesame seeds galore? (Me in the past when used it as flour in sesame muffins :smiley: Even so, 12 sesame muffins had 19g carbs, quite low considering I only ate a few.)

And of course, everything is keto in the right amounts and this right amount is extremely rarely zero (maybe for some people, who knows, people tend to be sensitive to odd things). Sometimes the amount is so crazy it makes no sense, see watermelon but sesame seeds seem quite fine to me. I was careful with cashew but I didn’t like snacking on them anyway so I could use as much as I wanted.

Vegs are way way more dangerous for keto if you ask me. But of course, if one can eat only a little bit (or a bit more if they are fine with the lowest-carb kinds), it’s fine.

Another thing. So you say palm oil isn’t so bad? That’s great as I mistakenly bought something with it… I won’t again but it’s good if it’s not among the worst ones.

Is that a thing? I am very clueless, I only eat walnuts I collected and broke myself…
How can pasteurizing mess up a walnut for someone?

Wow. I looked at supermaket lard in the past, I have found milk once and I don’t remember more but supermarket lard is NASTY! I used to buy mine from a farm but now I just render it myself, better for several reasons. Lard from frying fatty pork? The tastiest ever :slight_smile: IDK how the nasty very white supermarket lard is made, normal lard is the other product when scratchings are made so it’s yellowish and tasty when one buy it from a farmer (or make it themselves). I am not very sensitive to the origin of the pork but I can buy some meat from a local pig farm too. Not much, too few porks get butchered compared to the demand, they mostly sell wonderful smoked stuff.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #26

Sesame seeds just a sprinkle … but I do use a spoon full of tahini in my homemade chocolates!

Palm oils issue is production that destroys rainforests and biodiversity.

Doesn’t it make it bitter? Though I am extremely sensitive to bitterness so maybe it’s just me…
I use cashew in my handmade chocolate :slight_smile: That’s sweet, balances out the barely-bitterness of cocoa powder and coffee! Sometimes I try to snack on (roasted, salted) cashew but I only can handle one (usually eat a half), too sweet! But good in desserts. I suppose. Only ever used it in chocolate.

(Kilua) #28

I believe junk food isn’t just fatty food. Because if it was bad for you to eat just a lot of oil or fat, you wouldn’t eat vegetable fats like nuts, peanuts, avocado and coconut oil.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

Whole, real food is the solution to a lot of problems.

(KCKO, KCFO) #30

My hubby looks at me funny when I do that same thing.

I also use avocado oil, coconut oil, and tiny amounts of roasted sesame oil (some dishes are not worth eating without it. and I don’t use it often.)

(David Cooke) #31

I no longer make lard since I found out about Omega 6. However, it is easy to make (a bit smelly) and we were getting through 2 - 3 Kg a week. Coconut oil costs about the same here so we use that.

(M) #32

These people seem to think all oil is junk food and “disgusting”

I’m just finding it really difficult as a pescatarian on keto diet to get enough fat without oil of some kind.

Also what if you can’t tolerate the vinegar in whole olives? not to mention a good majority of them are treated with lye.

(Chuck) #33

I stay away from vegetable oil, I only use coconut or olive oils along with butter, bacon grease and real lard.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #34

OMG!!!
2:52 ‘’ people think it’s sugar that causes insulin resistance, when it’s actually eating fat’’

3:10 ‘‘oil causes diabetes’’

Fat is bad bad bad x100 !!

I never figured out what logic people see in it… Not like I know, like, anything about Chemistry, always was my weak point, I picked up tiny things on forums like this but that’s it… But it still makes no sense to me… Oh well. It never was even a remote possibility for me to eat little fat :smiley: Not like I ever would listen to anti-fat propaganda but it isn’t successful here anyway, nearly everyone eats high-fat, what else? Not the right kind but well, still better than sugar (of course people eat that galore too).

(Doug) #36

“𝐼𝑡’𝑠 𝑎𝑐𝑡𝑢𝑎𝑙𝑙𝑦 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑓𝑎𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑖𝑠 𝑐𝑎𝑢𝑠𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑖𝑛𝑠𝑢𝑙𝑖𝑛 𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑖𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑛𝑐𝑒.” That video is nuts. :smile::grin:

(Chuck) #37

I swear that the food, health, exercise, diet, drug industries want everyone sick, obese and diabetic so that can make their billions of dollars.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #38

Since refined sugar and industrial seed oils both entered the food market around the same time, it is difficult, if not impossible, to distinguish their effects by epidemiological means.

That said, however, there is a clear mechanism by which sugar and other carbohydrates cause insulin resistance, hyperglycaemia and insulinaemia, and Type II diabetes. The effect of seed oils is necessarily more indirect.

One of the concerns with the industrial seed oils is the large quantity they contain of polyunsaturated fatty acids previosly unknown to the human body. They are incorporated into cell walls and other locations and have negative effects. My understanding is that their connexion with diabetes is tenuous at best, with all due respect to Chris Knobbe and Tucker Goodrich.

In any case, the human body is not harmed by eliminating or restricting sugar, carbohydrates, and industrial seed oils.

ETA: It would be interesting to do a study comparing high intakes of sugar, saturated fat, mono-unsaturated fat, and polyunsaturates from seed oils. But I doubt such a study would pass an ethical review, since we “know” that arterycloggingsaturatefat will kill people.

(M) #39

Paul, I am wondering what is a large quantity of polyunsaturated oils? I am trying to add olive oil back in my diet and it does contain some polyunsaturated. What would be considered too much? I do not and have never eaten (as an adult) any oils except for coconut and olive. Any other added fat was kerrygold butter.

I have no particular favourite, but often opt for olive oil for convenience sakes.

But I try to rotate cooking use between these (depending on temperature). Not junk food!:

…and I have a bottle of this, but I only occasionally use it now, and never in cooking…just in bullet proof coffees and my own matcha green tea cocoction.

…and I use real proper butter too from grass fed local produce.