Instant Pot Psuedo Sous Vide Eggs

(jketoscribe) #1

I’ve been traveling the past few weeks and sometimes Starbucks sous vide eggs were my best option for hot food despite the bad ingredients (rice flour, for one). But during a long drive home I thought how this might be made in the IP. I started by looking for an egg custard recipe and came upon this: https://shecookshecleans.net/2014/12/20/savory-custard-with-bacon-and-cheese/.

The ingredients looked similar to Starbucks but I didn’t want to bother with heating the milk and tempering eggs. Another similar
recipe suggested blending the ingredients together in a blender, so that’s what I did. And the results are delicious with the same soft texture as the sous vide eggs. I didn’t have to buy a $130 sous vide to do it!

Ingredients (4 servings in 6-8 ounce ramekins)

1 1/2 cups cream and/or half and half (I used canned coconut milk)
1 clove garlic, smashed and sautéed until soft (or 1/4 tsp garlic powder)
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
dash ground pepper
dash ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (optional)
7-8 ounces grated cheese (I used a Gureyere cheddar blended cheese from Trader Joe’s)
2 slices bacon, crisped and crumbled (divided) (I used turkey bacon, can’t eat pork)
(Recipe adapted from
https://shecookshecleans.net/2014/12/20/savory-custard-with-bacon-and-cheese/)

Directions:

Cook the bacon up crisp and crumble into 8 oz ramekins (I used 1/2 pint wide mouthed canning jars).

Add all the other ingredients to a blender and blend until very smooth. The mixture will be thick. Pour into ramekins and leave 1/2" or more for expansion. Cover each ramekin loosely with aluminum foil.

Add 1 1/2 cups of water to the instant pot and use a steaming rack. Place the ramekins on the rack and seal the pot. Steam at pressure for 8 minutes and allow NPR for 10 minutes. Remove from the pot carefully with oven mits and uncover. Cool slightly and Turn them over carefully onto the serving plate.

You can lightly brown these under the broiler.

You can store them in their jars in the fridge until ready to eat. Reheat gently!

WARNING: Starbucks' "Sous Vide Egg Bites" are carbage
(outlawpirate) #2

Thank you so much!! Those Starbucks sous vide bacon and gruyere egg bites have also been a best option for me when working in the road. I have been trying to figure out how to make them at home without special equipment. I love the creamy texture. Thank you for figuring this out! I can’t wait to try your recipe.

(Beth) #3

I don’t know what these Starbuck’s eggs are, but this recipe looks great. My husband grew up eating a quiche made with gruyere and he’s always after me to make it and I’m not into it because of the crust. I know I could make it crustless, but I’m sure I’d get a big eyebrow raise. I’m going to try making this and hope that it’s close enough but not too close, you know what I mean? Thank you for creating this and sharing!