WARNING: Starbucks' "Sous Vide Egg Bites" are carbage

restaurantsurvival

The Gouda and bacon one is POINT 9 carbs, so, less than 1 carb for the pair, the egg whites are 13 carbs. So, the bacon ones are actually really good for the diet.

(christa) #32

I just saw this message and got really excited! But I double-checked, and no, unfortunately it’s 9g, not .9g according to Starbucks’ site.
Here’s the link to the nutrition info, and a screenshot: https://www.starbucks.com/menu/food/hot-breakfast/sous-vide-egg-bites-bacon-gruyere

(Dawn) #33

It BROKE.MY.HEART! I ate them for 4 days when I first started keto because I thought they fit my macros. It wasn’t until I started really looking at the breakdown in MFP that I realized that was where most of my carbs were coming from. They are sooo good. It really was disappointment. I think it is best (especially when just starting or you have alot of weight to lose) to just cook your own food and leave the fast/convenience foods alone. They just can’t be trusted. And who wants to fight with the teen-ager behind the counter to try to get a glimpse at the nutrition labels?

(Andrew) #34

I fell victim too, but 9g is ok over a low carb day.

The Cheese and Bacon one sure was tasty. I wish they didn’t add the starches.

(Ken) #35

If you’ve done keto for more than two weeks, that small amount of carbs is insignificant. Five per cent of a 2000 calorie day is 100, so you’d be fine.

Keto doesn’t have to be self flagellation.

(jketoscribe) #36

I posted this recipe here but it requires a pressure cooker (you could probably cook them in a rice maker or steamer). Instant Pot Psuedo Sous Vide Eggs IMHO, it tastes a lot like the Starbucks egg bites and it’s keto.

(Jacob Wagner) #37

I made the basic Anova recepe yesterday. They are wonderful. I am going to experiment with different flavorings.

–Jacob

(Cooper) #38

If you’re on Keto, 9g without any fiber is quite a lot!

I haven’t been inside a Starbucks since I started keto but I went today with my sister. We saw these and I instinctively say, yes, bacon, cheese, egg… I’ll eat it. I saw it was 9g after we scarfed them down. They are so so good. I’m not going to eat them every day but I will treat myself on rare occasion because I just want to enjoy my life :wink:

(Tyler Howell) #40

I’m glad I checked this, because I just saw an add for these things and thought, “oh I can actually eat these things for breakfast since I pass 4 sbux on my way to work…” Well never mind to that idea.

(Hillary ) #41

Kinda off subject… but don’t you guys agree that Starbucks should have a larger sugar free flavor selection?

(David Eirescott) #42

They also contain carrageenan (inflammatory) and maltodextrin (carbs) 9g is a LOT for two tiny dumplings that are supposed to be made from very low carb ingredients.

(christa) #43

YES! They used to carry more flavors; they’re cut back to just sf vanilla and sf cinnamon dulce syrup at the shops near me. :frowning:

(Ken) #44

You do realise that 9g is only 46 calories? To think that somehow this small amount of carbs will have any significant effect on lipolysis is preposterous. An excellent example of what I call “Nutty Keto”.

(Jacob Wagner) #45

Different people have different carb limits. People with extreme metabolic derangement need to take extreme measures. Some people need to keep carb intake to 20g/day to stay in ketosis. Many need to stay under 50g.

When your goal is to get enough energy by eating 2000kcal/day and these two egg bites take up 9 of your 20g of carbs then you may have trouble finding nutrient dense food to eat the rest of the day.

Also:

• 2 Large eggs: 1.2g
  • 1 strip of bacon 0.1g
  • 1oz Gruyere: 0.1g
    For a grand total of 1.4g carbs

So, if they have 9g then what exactly are they adding to get the other 7.6?

In conclusion, @240lbfatloss i am genuinely happy for you that you can stay healthy and let 9g of carbs be not a big deal. Some of us can’t. For some of us – because of our metabilic durengement – dietary carbs are a poison that needs to be minimised. For some of us, an extra 7.4g of mystery carbs in 2 eggs defeats the whole purpose of eating eggs. if that makes us nutty than so be it. Better nutty than dead.

–Jacob

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #46

That is not the recipe. They are not 2 large eggs alone. They are actually a majority dairy product, in Starbucks case, roughly 50% cottage cheese. The cottage cheese acts as a binder, so I’m not sure why they add rice starch, except to dry it out a bit.

I make homebrew versions: 50% egg, 25% goat cheese, 25% HWC. I don’t cook the protein in, as 'Bucks does, because it messes with the texture. You could use anything in 50-50, with eggs… HWC, Whole Milk, Philly, goat cheese, cottage cheese, etc. Mine is a better keto product than 'Bucks, but I don’t have to worry about customers beyond myself.

(Tara) #47

I also tried the Egg Bites at Starbucks a few months ago and they were very delicious. Thank you all for pointing out all of the facts about these. I definitely will not order them again.

I also can’t rationalize spending that much on what felt like only 1 egg. :confused:

(Ken) #48

A very dogmatic response. I suggest you try them while monitoring your blood glucose and ketone levels. I think you’d be surprised. (My hypothesis). It’s better than speculating. I’d also like to see the results, even at my most deranged, that small amount of carbs (eaten only occasionally) never caused a significant change as in overall hormonal secretion pattern. IMO, it only causes a very brief suspension of lipolysis.

(Candy Lind) #49

Blood glucose is not the point. Displacement of 40% of my “scheduled” nutrient-dense carbs with carb :poop: is the point for me.

You can go to Sbux and buy AYCE Sous Vide eggs and I will be happy for you. They won’t work for me (and apparently several others) on a well-formulated ketogenic diet. You do you, I’ll do me.

(Ken) #50

You’re missing my point. I’m not advocating either way. I’m simply pointing out that eating them is fairly insignificant within the wider biochemical context of lipolysis.