Incredibly tired at third day

(Marji) #1

Hello! I am new here!

I have had experience with IF and OMAD from reading Dr. Fung’s material. I also did a few all day fasts and a 2 day…and at one point I tried a 7 day fast. At day 3 I felt incredibly lethargic and sleepy. My body seemed to move slow and I kept wanting to take naps. I decided to wait it out because I assumed I would get more energy later but day 4 went exactly the same so that night I broke my fast. That evening I also found out my period started. So I chalked it up to that and decided to try again another time.

Recently I found out about the Snake Diet and have been giving that a go this past week. It’s been going really well, I did a 2-day fast while drinking only his recipe for “snake juice” (basically water with potassium chloride, pink salt, baking soda, and epsom salt stirred in). I even tried some light jogs on the fast and all went well.

After refeeding keto-friendly foods (chicken lettuce cups I made, half a sweet potato, maybe a quarter cup of black beans) I went right into a three day fast. Again, I felt great the first two days but as soon as I hit day three I became lethargic and sleepy again. And this time it was definitely not my period!

I’m wondering what’s going on? Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks for feedback, I look forward to digging through the forums for info in general!

(Susan) #2

Welcome to the forum, Marji =).

Sweet potatoes and Black beans are not Keto foods -I don’t know where you read that they were, but this might be your problem.

Keto is less then 20 grams of net carbs a day, no sugar, adequate protein and healthy fats, water, and get enough Electrolytes --you are probably not getting enough of them so that is why you are so tired and feeling ill.

Fasting is great, but you need to keep your Electrolytes up. We generally suggest that people initially do 3 meals a day - below is a sample menu you could try – it is breakfast, lunch and supper, with no snacks between.

This is a sample that I made for another new member a little bit ago, so it is just a guideline, you can switch the foods around as long as they are Keto. There are a lot of good recipes here on our recipe section too. It is great if you can avoid snacking totally between these 3 meals, drink water and/or electrolytes between:

If you can do 12 hours at least (fasting( from supper to breakfast, that will give your body time to burn fats, and to help your insulin levels, so this helps you lose weight and for your body to heal from all the SAD eating.

Best wishes and if you have any questions, just ask away, we are all here to help you succeed!

(Katie) #3

Two things:

1. From all that I have learned about fasting, days 2-3 are the most difficult and once you get past those days, it is easier.

2. I am not the keto police, but sweet potato and black beans are not keto-friendly, unless you are having very very small amounts. Perhaps that could be adding to the lethargy because it was too many carbohydrates to start a fast? I believe I heard from Dr. Fung’s practice that people find success ‘fat-loading’ before an extended fast (someone please correct/verify).

(Marji) #4

You guys are right those are not keto friendly! Sorry about that, I think my brain was thinking the lettuce cups were and then the other side of my brain said “Hey mention the sweet potato and black beans that might be important so they have all the information.”

I’ll see how I feel on ACTUALLY keto foods, thanks for the sample menu!

I forgot to mention Imade some fat bombs with cream cheese and kerrygold butter (and a splash of vanilla extract) and I ate two of those that night too. I also had sour cream on that potato.

I’ll try to up my fats tho! I did have a very yummy panera sandwich (with no bread of course) that was basically steak, eggs, and white cheddar cheese and a side of avocado for breakfast.

What’s a good carb ratio to stay under? Would 20 carbs a day be a good limit?

20 grams is the goal for most to stay under :blush:

(Katie) #6

There is not a ratio for carbohydrates (it is not a percentage of your total intake). Typical recommendation is below 20g total for the day.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #7

Just to be clear any food is neither ketogenic or not ketogenic. What makes a food ketogenic is portion amounts that allow you to be in ketosis. You could just eat steak and butter and white sugar if the sugar is in an amount that allows you to stay in ketosis. Not wise but true. Black beans and sweet potato could be included if the amount was small, but is it a worthwhile expenditure of your carbs?

Getting burnt out could be a couple of things. Did you eat enough and give your body adequate recovery following the first fast? Maybe not. Do you have enough extra body fat to do that much fasting. Are you diving deep into fasting too soon before becoming fat adapted? Just some possibilities to consider. :cowboy_hat_face: