Inconsistent success on omad lchf

macros
lchf
omad
keto
fasting

(Dave Corbett) #41

Amen to this!

My kid brother was always skinny as a rail and struggled to gain weight.
I was always “husky” as a kid and then downright fat as an adult.

I think the calories he ate somehow magically transferred to my body. :joy::joy::rofl:

The same reason why some people are athletic and others klutzs… Why some folks are brilliant and others are challenged… Why some people are good looking and others are loved for their personality…

(Jamie Hemken) #43

So the podcast about OMAD is throwing off my confidence. Amy thoughts on omad vs Keto with a focus on daily macros?

Here is my perspective. OMAD is a functional daily maintenance tool once you are at or near goal weight. As a weight loss tool, it may not be the best for the average person who has a long way to goal. During my first few months of ketogenic/low carb eating, I ate on average about 3 meals per day. Once I hit the “fat adapted” stage around month 5, I was less hungry, and my weight loss continued. At month 9, I shifted to two meals per day of around 500-600 calories each with a daily 18:6 fasting regimen. I still do that with an occasional 23:1 thrown in to switch things up. From time to time, I’ll even throw back in a 3-meal day—again, to switch things up. (Fung and Ramos are pretty clear about how we have to change practices from time to time because our bodies adjust to one protocol if we keep it the same.) The real questions are these: what are your goals for fasting, and how long have you been eating consistently low carb? Do you want to track macros, or do you prefer to just eat optimal foods with less attention to tracking? And finally, how is OMAD working for you?

(Jamie Hemken) #45

I’m starting with a reasonable goal of 20 pounds, although overall I have 40 to lose.
I think that at the moment I need macros, because my tendency is to overeat. I found it hard to stay within my macros when I’m eating all day, and I tend to overdo protein. When I do practice a two to three meal a day regimen, I do not see any weight loss (I’ve been varying between two meals a day and snacks, and either 20:4 or 16:8 for the past month to six weeks).
This week I got really intentional about my macros and went to a strick omad plan in order to do that. I’ve lost about 5 pounds in five days. While this new drop is encouraging, I don’t want to crash and burn… I want to develop a sustainable weight loss plan and then work the plan. I tend to dive emotionally when my diets aren’t effective and I’m fearful that this may be the case with omad…

(VLC.MD) #46

Emotions happen. Just dont fall off the wagon and overeat carbs. You can have emotions. But I dont see Binging on carbs as a legitimate outcome of your emotions. Keep those negative emotions in check … YOU GOT THIS !!!

Get to your goal weight and slowly increase them and monitor the effects.

Carbs aren’t a reward, they are the punishment, and you deserve better.

OLD you : I tend to dive emotionally when my diets aren’t effective
NEW you: I used to dive emotionally when my diets aren’t effective. Now I KCKO.

Jamie, macros aren’t a bad way to go in the beginning, especially if you feel that you need to develop more awareness of concepts like portion control, caloric intake, eating to satiety, etc. I think the key there is to use them as guidelines, and don’t get uptight if you go over or under a bit. I always remind myself and others that those numbers are not “magic.” One easy solution is to divide your daily macros by the number of meals you plan to eat in order to get a ballpark range for each meal. Or, you may decide to make one meal “heavier” than the others because it benefits you more.

(Renee ) #48

Some clarification…so you’re saying that after you’ve been on keto a while and stopped losing weight (if you’re not over eating) than the remaining far has become insulin resistant and to fix that, you just continue eating keto?
Also, how/why does that happen when your eating keto?

some background, I only want to lose 20-15 lbs.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #49

Actually, @richard wrote that the fat tissue becomes more insulin-sensitive, not -resistant. This means a greater propensity to store fat, of course, if insulin levels return to the carb-laden high that got us into trouble in the first place, but if we keto on, insulin stays low, and the fat tissue is free to fulfill its main role as the fly-wheel of the metabolism, taking in energy while we digest our food, and dispensing it again between meals.

This also helps with insulin regulation, since as the adipose tissue becomes more insulin-sensitive, the pancreas can ramp down its insulin production. But as with many bodily systems that become badly disregulated, it can take quite a long time for this system to re-regulate itself, assuming that is even possible by the time we start eating keto.

The big rush of weight loss some people experience on keto is the result of low insulin allowing the previously excess store of fat to be released and metabolised. But as you might expect, the lower the reserve of fat, the less likely the body is to be willing to part with it, so weight loss slows as we approach normal weight. This is why the last 10 to 20 pounds come off so much more slowly. Because our evolutionary experience included frequent periods of famine, we have evolved to be cautious about depleting our energy reserve too quickly.

(KCKO, KCFO) #50

IDM’s Megan Ramos recommends OMAD for those in maintenance, not a regular thing for those trying to lose weight. She explained it in this classical 2dudes podcast:

(Not a cow) #51

This I can use !! Thanks!