Inconsistent success on omad lchf

macros
lchf
omad
keto
fasting

(Jamie Hemken) #1

I’ve been dabbling with omad lchf for over a month and I️ haven’t lost any weight. I started out just eating whatever was Keto with no regard to calories. Last week I worked really hard to stay low carb but I got sick. I didn’t realize how much sugar NyQuil contains and was shocked to see another week of no loss. Not wanting to quit, I nailed down my macros and calorie expenditure and have eliminated ALL diet soda, and stevia. I’ve been on this more rigid omad lchf for three days and while I’ve lost three pounds, day three has been riddled with hunger. Why haven’t I gotten fat adapted yet and what am i doing wrong?

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #2

Without know what you’ve actually ate, it’s gonna be hard to answer your question. Everyone’s body is different and I don’t think anyone can actually become fat adapted in 3-days. I still question if I’m fully fat adapted after 2 months.

(Donna ) #3

Congratulations for committing yourself to this healthy way of life! Yay!

If you are really hungry, eat some fat. Eat straight butter and see if it helps.

I believe it may take a few months to become fully fat adapted. Ketosis and fat adapted are two different things. But, you can still lose weight and become healthier while your body adjusts and becomes fat adapted.

For colds, I don’t use any liquid cold meds as they will have sugar. I use pills: Sudafed, Zyrtec, and Mucinex-D.

KCKO

(Mark Rhodes) #4

Early on we didn’t create energy deficits. We worked to become fat adapted. This meant 20g total. and eating 1 to 1.5 gram of protein per LBM. I ate more than that, often 2x. When we entered our first stall we went through IF and then EF. I had no major hunger and my wife did. What I realized is that although she had ketone levels of 3.2 she wasn’t using them…these buggers were just circulating. I tested with a urine strip and yep they were there too, which really, they shouldn’t be if your using them.

So we IF ed for a couple more weeks working on her insulin sensitivity. The next two fasts have been losers for her, 8 on the first and 5 on the second. keto then keeps the fat off.

Hope this helps and glad your here.

(Dave Corbett) #5

Remember that the fat macro is a limit, not a goal. If you aren’t losing weight, dial back the number of fat calories.

Every calorie you don’t eat is one more that your body will have to burn from body fat.

(Mike W.) #6

I disagree 100% with this. That’s not how weight loss works. The more you put in the more you will burn. I would dial back protein and see what happens. We need a lot less than any calculator recommends.

(Bacon for the Win) #7

if you’re talking about this

then I agree. That’s old school CICO thinking.
Must be because we have similar profile pictures :sunglasses:

(Dave Corbett) #8

Well heck… If that’s not how weight loss works, where did those darn 45 pounds go?

(Jamie Hemken) #9

Thank you for the quick response. I ate an avocado and pushed through the hunger! I appreciate the support. I really just needed to hear someone tell me to suck it up and Keto on!!!
Much appreciated

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #10

Great attitude. You’ll do fine. Just don’t get discouraged to quickly

Jamie, it’s just me, but I think for ongoing weight loss in the early stages, OMAD is not the best route to go. I’m a big fan of eating 3 meals per day for the first 6-8 weeks, especially if you are hungry. Some people simply take longer to hit that fat-adaptation place—dunno why, but I see it often in LCHF/keto circles.

If you enjoy fasting, perhaps try an intermittent 18:6 or 16:8 rather than OMAD. However, you don’t even have to fast right now—it’s not mandatory—just another tool some use. It’s okay to just go a few months being consistently ketogenic and training your body to this new way of eating.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #12

This is the most SOLID advice I’ve seen all day. Very well worded.

(Bacon for the Win) #13

keto doesn’t cause you to lose weight by calorie deficits. It keeps insulin low, which causes your body to burn fat instead of store it. Your body will use fat as fuel in the absence of glucose either the fat you eat or what is stored on your body.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

This is why Dr. Phinney stresses eating fat to satiety. Our bodies will tell us when we’ve given them enough energy. Dr. Phinney estimates that in the initial adaptation phase, people spontaneously consume somewhere around 1500 calories, the remainder of their energy needs being met from stored fat. As body fat is metabolized away, people eating fat to satiety gradually and unconsciously increase their fat intake to make up for the lack of stored fat to metabolize. In the maintenance stage, we get all our energy needs from our diet, so the percentage of fat in our diet can be as much as 75% of our calories, because it’s all being metabolized.

(Dave Corbett) #15

keto doesn’t cause you to lose weight by calorie deficits

So if you ate 6000 of fat calories in a day you’d lose weight?

Some deficit is needed in order for the body to draw from reserves.

(Bacon for the Win) #16

I’m not sure I understand what you’re asking. Do you not understand how a keto diet works or are you just being obtuse?

(Danial Ficek) #17

I would suggest reading Keto Clarity and Obesity Code. The first does a good job of explaining Keto while the second does an excellent job of explaining insulin and it’s impact on weight gain.

(Dave Corbett) #18

I’ve read the Obesity Code and it’s primarily how I lost 45 pounds.

(Dave Corbett) #19

I’m not being obtuse. I’ve been doing Keto for 8 months and have lost 45 pounds.
You’d have to admit that’s fairly empirical evidence I know how it works.

I’ve also reversed my Type 2 diabetes, cutting my A1C from 13.5 to 4.9 and am now off all medication.
So clearly I’ve managed to leverage my understanding of how insulin works to real-world results.

Ask yourself why @Carl_Franklin, @richard and others are so big in intermittent fasting which is the ultimate version of calorie deficit.

Because calories matter. Yes, fat calories have a lower glycemic index and stimulate less insulin. But the body will metabolize ingested energy before stored energy. It’s just more efficient that way. Once the food is digested, then the body will resume burning stored fat.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #20

The body seems to be able to burn both. What you’re leaving out of the picture is that when the body is assured of enough energy, it increases the metabolic rate and even wastes energy, whereas if you restrict calories, it will respond by lowering the metabolic rate and shutting down the less-essential processes.

Again, this is why Dr. Phinney stresses eating fat to satiety, so that the body is assured of an adequate supply of energy. Do you really think we could actually eat six thousand calories mostly of fat? Of course not; you’d lose interest in your food long before you consumed that many calories.

We are not denying the existence of the laws of thermodynamics here, but the body is a complex system, and how the food we eat gets partitioned is more relevant than the actual number of calories for determining whether we are going to store that food or metabolize it. Gary Taubes cites an early study of the LCHF diet, in which the participants, all obese, were allowed to eat to satiety. They all lost weight at more or less the same rate, but the amount of calories they ate varied considerably among the participants, and one of them, he says, lost weight even while consuming 3000 calories a day.

So it’s definitely a lot more complex than simply saying calories in, calories out. We can’t control our bodies by adjusting our intake or our output; the only way we can exercise control is by altering the quality of what we eat and by altering how we eat in order to work with our natural internal processes instead of against them.