In search of low carb chia pudding

(Brenna) #1

I am trying to make a low carb chia pudding recipe. the problem that I’m coming up with is a good low carb type of milk. I tried heacy cream, and that didn’t work well for me. and I’m sick and tired of coconut milk. I’m running out of ideas to try.

Almond milk?

Try milk kefir. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kefir

(Alex) #4

this recipe may be a bit more carb-laden than is ideal, but it sounds tasty and uses almond milk! has good reviews also. could always cut out the raspberries to lessen the carbage a bit too of course. let me know how it is if you ever decide to try it out :open_mouth:

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #5

(Khara) #6

Did you try heavy cream thinned with water? That’s my usual way.

(Brenna) #7

@KBG, no I didn’t. I think I’ll try that. Or maybe half n half.

btw, I’m deathly allergic to almonds so no almond milk. And I’m not sure if rice milk is even allowed. I’m guessing its too high in carbs?

I always thin heavy cream with water for chia pudding/porridge. Only cream is to fatty for me in this dish. I use 1/3 heavy cream and 2/3 water. I do the same with full fat cocounut milk too.

(Brenna) #9

At this point I am so done with all the coconut lol.

And also, coconut milk just doesn’t give me the right texture of pudding to me.

Chia seeds and a Vanilla Atkins shake in mason jar. Refrigerate 8 to 12 hours. Comes out like tapioca pudding.

(Brenna) #11

thanx. I’ll look into it. What liquids did you use?

The Pre-made Atkins Vanilla shakes are the only liquid you need. You can add in some stevia and vanilla extract if the flavor of the shake isn’t sweet enough for you. For one shake, you’ll need about 2 1/2 Tablespoons- to 3 tablespoons of Chia seeds. Use more for a thicker pudding, less for a thinner one.

Mix it in a pint sized mason jar, shake it up, and refrigerate over night. I make 2-3 at a time, and just nibble when hungry.

(Brenna) #13

thanx. I will try this as chia pudding is my FAVORITE way to eat sweets without eating sweets.

(Ethan) #14

Macadamia and hemp milk

(Running from stupidity) #15

No…

(Brenna) #16

no, like a bad idea?

(Running from stupidity) #17

Absolutely. Do everything you can to avoid stuff like that.

(Brenna) #18

is it too high in carbs?

(Running from stupidity) #19

It’s too high in all sorts of crap you really don’t want to be eating. Real food FTW.

I know they are not the greatest thing to eat, but it was a matter of speed and convenience for me when I concocted the “pudding” a few years back. And, I’d been on Atkins for a few years- on and off. Got hooked on the stuff, I guess. I’ve experimented with coconut milk, almond milk, cashew milk, etc. over the years—but popping open the shake, dumping it in with chia seeds … well, what can I say? it was easy. Reforming my mindset to eating more whole foods versus tinkered with foods has been a challenge. So, I’m working on it.

Having said all that, full-fat coconut milk, heated, and sweetened with stevia and vanilla would work well too - and is likely, way healthier. I don’t recall the exact ratios, but it was likely 8 or 12 ounces of the coconut milk, to 2-3 Tbs of seeds that I began with. Its a good place to start, if you’re going to go the cleanest route in making it.