In Praise of N=1 Is Glucose the Key Metric?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #1

Examining Glucose/Ketone measurements with differing variables
Basics for the Non-Technical - Understanding Why We Get Fat AND Hungry
(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

This is a really thought provoking presentation. We often think that n=1 minimizes whatever we discover about ourselves because it’s ‘not recognized science’ only what ‘works for me’. The findings of the studies discussed in the video I’ve linked above, show just how important n=1 may turn out to be. That we are all so unique as individuals our ‘best diet’ may in fact be the diet that ‘works for me’ but not necessarily for thee. This would go a long way towards explaining why so many folks report so many different results from so many different eating patterns. We’re all students seeking the facts to heal and maintain health over the long haul. I think it a huge thing if it turns out that aside from some basic biochemical processes shared by all each and every one of us is an n=1 fact. And what ‘works for me’ may not work for anyone else!

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #3

What works, depends a lot on what’s wrong in the first place, and how far along you are on your healing journey…

While understandable, I see so many people who want an overnight fix for what took years to break down. Many of these people just give up and choose to be sick and miserable.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #4

@OldDog Agreed, what works changes as you change in response. Some people give up because they read what other people claim to have experienced and don’t experience the same themselves. Instead of thinking n=1 and ‘I’m me and different’, they think ‘what’s wrong with me’ or ‘what am I doing wrong’ or ‘keto just doesn’t work for everyone’. Pretty much every day we see new posts by both newbies and not-so newbies asking the same things over and over. It all boils down to many people thinking everyone is going to experience pretty much the same thing and if they don’t, something’s wrong.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #5

BTW, this video has prompted me to purchase a continuous glucose monitor. This one which my local London Drugs has in stock. I’ve been thinking about it for nearly a year now, since I came to the conclusion that measuring ketones is not very useful for me. I don’t have any metabolic issues that necessitate maintaining a specific concentration of ketones. Based on the measurements I’ve done with my Ketonix and extensive reading about it, the concentration varies markedly and rapidly. So I’ve concluded that ketones are taking care of themselves well enough and don’t really give me useful info other than I’m in ketosis, or not. I’ll continue using my Ketonix to try to determine what I’m measuring with my new Lumen. But once I’ve figured out what info the Lumen is giving me, I’ll probably not use the Ketonix much.

Why monitor glucose? As the video points out, the most likely metric for metabolic health overall is changes in glucose, especially after a meal. The less glucose changes the better. In my case, in continuous ketosis, glucose should be low, stable and not change much after meals. Unless I eat something that spikes it for me. A continuous glucose meter will enable me to see exactly how glucose responds to various food/beverages. The nice thing about the FreeStyle Libre is that the monitor is pretty cheap at $55 so an easy purchase. While the sensors are expensive at $99 a pop, I only have to purchase one to monitor for 14 days continuously. Then buy a new one only occasionally as I decide to test something or other to record the effect on glucose. Once I purchase this device, I will start a new topic to track my use/results.

Mike's Excellent Glucose Monitor Adventure
Mike's Excellent Glucose Monitor Adventure