In ketosis?

(softail925) #1

So Ive been eating keto for 10 months. I have lost approx’ 14 pounds. I dont keep exact track of my macros, but am very conscientious of them and follow this woe. I have used the keto urine strips and they have shown me in ketosis. But Ive also read after awhile those strips arent accurate for a few reasons. Sooooo, my question is this: How does one know they are still in ketosis? (I have my own thoughts on this, but just want to read urs, as well)

(Mark Bousquet) #2

You want to throw away those Ketostix, they are highly unreliable. Especially after you become fat adapted
and your body starts utilizing the ketones more efficiently.

Personally, I use both the blood test strips and the Ketonix breath acetone analyzer.

Blood ketones (bOHB) over 0.5 mmol/L will indicate you are in nutritional ketosis. These strips are expensive in the U.S. Google “Canadian pharmacy blood ketone strips” or “Australian pharmacy blood ketone strips” to find less expensive strips.

The Ketonix is a reusable breath analyzer that tests for acetone. The maker of this found that the level of acetone is not correlated with blood ketones, however it will give you a ballpark idea of whether or not you are in ketosis or not.

(softail925) #3

Thank you! I am also looking for how to know ur in ketosis w/out any of the tests? (If possible)

the urine strips are an OK tool if you understand how they work. You will always spill ketones into urine. How detectable they are depends on hydration more than anything else. They are also a “lagging indicator” meaning they describe what was going on 4 to 6 hours in the past.

to truly know what is going on you need to test your blood or breath

(Guardian of the bacon) #5

If you are staying within the macro guidelines after 10 months, you are pretty much assured of being in ketosis a good majority of the time.

(softail925) #6

Ok, crap - typo error… I have been eating this way for 10 weeks. (Saw that I typed 10 months)

(Guardian of the bacon) #8

2 1/2 months should still be plenty long enough to be fat adapted.

The pee sticks are OK when youa re starting out - a cheap option that show most people when they start ketosis. They are really unreliable though and pretty useless later on.

Breath and blood testing is perfect as @Mark_Bousquet says. If you don’t want to or can’t afford the kit for testing though, don’t worry. You can pretty well guarantee you are in ketosis as long as you keep your net carbs <20g. Unless you have some very specific issue (highly unlikely) you WILL be in ketosis at that level of carbs.

If you want to test your carb threshold or suspect certain foods of kicking you out they are very useful.

(Ross Daniel) #10

Ok, so one thing I notice, and it may be TMI but as a male I notice my pee foams/froths a lot more while in ketosis. The last time I was out of ketosis due to alcohol, the next morning this did not happen. So, I’m thinking if you pee into water and it foams more than you’re used to, that could be an indicator… Or, I could be crazy and making this up and there is no correlation! :sunglasses:

Lol! No you are not crazy. This happened to me at one point and I asked about it and the general consensus seemed to be that it was protein pee! I am not sure that there is a definitive answer. If it is happening consistently as a male you need to get it checked out BUT I think it is just something that comes and goes TBH. I don’t think it is an indicator of ketosis though.

(Mike W.) #12

Really? Mine always has. When I ever I have a urine test it shows as “trace” protein.

(Ross Daniel) #13

I’m not saying it is a ton of foam, it just more than I typically remember seeing. I’ve never had anything come up on a urine test or anything. I was thinking more along the lines of it was acetone or acetoacetate being expelled, not protein. There is more of a distinct odor, nothing strong just a different smell. If I get kicked out of ketosis, then I don’t notice it really.

Possibly then. I don’t know TBH.

(Ross Daniel) #15

I need to schedule my annual physical soon anyway, so I will see what a test shows. I don’t have a keto doc so who knows what they will say if they ask what my diet looks like… lol

Just tell doc you are eating real healthy food, no sugar or processed foods.

(Kerri Hines) #17

It’s true the strips are not accurate but this really means that the level they reflect isn’t exactly accurate or they can show a negative result when someone is in fact in ketosis.
They are not inaccurate in the way of showing ketones when none are present though. So if it’s showing ketones, then you have them. And that’s all you need.
I’ve seen comments sometimes where people think they can be getting a false positive and that’s just not possible. A false negative is possible though.

Also, the idea that the longer you’re keto the less likely they will show ketones doesn’t seem to be true necessarily. I actually haven’t talked to anyone yet in keto for over a year that has said they show negative or consistently lower than they ever did. Not saying it can’t happen but I don’t think it’s as common as is often stated.
I’m almost 2 years in and they’re almost never lower than moderate. I drink plenty of fluids so it’s not likely due to hydration. I don’t drink beyond thirst though. I don’t aim to drink a certain volume.

(Human) #18

I’ve been Keto for a few years and sometimes use the stix to see if something has knocked me out or not. I’ve noticed that I can only get up to the dark purple colours if I go out of ketosis and back in again. It seems as time goes on the body’s ketone engine becomes more efficient at making ketones “on demand” and therefore ketone levels while resting are lower.

When in ketosis, and I drink a cold glass of water, I detect a subtle metallic-like taste.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #20

My pee smells like nail polish remover sometimes. TMI? Too bad. Lol

(Mark Bousquet) #21

Get copies of Jimmy Moore’s books ready for your doctor to read! :slight_smile: