In ketosis?

(Mark Bousquet) #22

Mine was smelling like as-pee-rah-gus the other night… TMI TMI TMI :wink:

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #23

:mask:

(Guardian of the bacon) #25

I thought that smell was in my imagination, glad to know it’s a thing.

(Loraine Hansen) #26

How do you test your macros? And is it necessary? I like knowing things, but I’m impatient when it comes to details. I would prefer to just experience what happens to me, but if it’s necessary and would be more effective to KNOW if/when I’m in ketosis, or eating macros (what are they anyway), or how many carbs I’m specifically eating (I have a ballpark figure), then I will consider doing the tests. it will annoy me, but I will do it. I just don’t know what to buy or use.

Macros refers to the three major categories: carbohydrate (also called carbs), protein and fat.

It is suggested for someone going into ketosis for the first time to aim for 20 grams or less carbs per day. Some people can get away with more that that (like 40 or 50 grams), but as a newbie, the suggestion is start low and test your upper carbs limits later.

The suggestion is to eat moderate protein level. That is approximately 1 gram protein per kg of your lean body mass (I.e. What you would weigh in lean form).

Eat fat to satiety. No restriction on amount of fat as you start on your journey to get into ketosis.

The macros ratio shown above will help your body to stop being a glucose burner, and begin being a fat burner (ketosis).

There are a variety of tests you can perform that can confirm whether or not you have switched to ketosis mode. They consist of urine (pee) strips, blood test and breathalyzer testing. At this juncture, as you are new to this, perhaps testing for ketones is not necessary and possibly just frustrate you. Just watch your macros (carbs, protein and fat), and eventually your body will switch to ketosis. Learn how to do that first before running ahead with other details.

Hope this helps.

(Marie) #29

I test occasionally with a Ketonix, but I can tell when I’m in ketosis because I feel alert, waaaay less hungry, my breath is yucky (bad taste in mouth), and I feel more energetic. I always know.

I know by how I feel. My hunger pains are far weaker, fewer, my mind is clear, I feel better, mentally and physically

(Brandon Bowie) #31

I have recently noticed this as well! Especially restarting keto and this time dialing in protein. After a couple weeks I boom foam!

What now?

(Wendy) #33

U were about to get me really worried…haahaa…6 days for me

(Guardian of the bacon) #34

Approaching 3 years keto pee sticks still work and correspond with my blood meter.