I'm stuck! Please advise

(Alec) #21

P-Bux
The lady who wrote that article has no clue about keto. Anyone who says that eating fat on keto could lead to a weight stall doesn’t understand keto at all.

Ignore that article, it is just plain wrong. Stick to the principles: 20g carbs, moderate protein, fat to satiety. You will win and feel great. If in doubt, eat more fat!
Cheers
Alec

Good to know, Alec. Thanks.

(Terence Dean) #23

Have you watched the documentary called “The Magic Pill”? That brilliantly explains why we should be eating more animal fat and minimum carbs. Wheat is your worst enemy! Just to quote a cardiologist on the doco , “The average supermarket sells 60,000 products, of those 59,000 of them contain wheat”. That did it for me, hello Keto!

Yes I saw it - it was awesome!! :slight_smile:

Alec, I don’t disagree with you about the principles of the ketogenic diet (20g carbs, moderate protein, fat to satiety), but I have read from several sources (not just Martina Slajerova) that eating too much fat could have an effect on one’s weight loss.

Here’s one in particular:

"Is it possible to eat too much fat? When you are keto-adapted, you become much more efficient at utilizing fat as fuel, and some studies show that slightly overfeeding on fat alone may not cause significant weight gain. However, keep in mind that fat is calorically dense, containing 9 calories per gram. Eating excessive amounts of fat can increase calorie intake to an extent that may prevent fat loss; too much dietary fat might keep your body from breaking down its own fat stores for energy. As with everything, keep the fat content of the diet in context—and don't binge on fat bombs or eat sticks of butter like candy bars! "

The Ketogenic Bible: The Authoritative Guide to Ketosis
By Dr. Jacob Wilson & Ryan Lowery, PhD
Amazon Link: http://a.co/0KmdXGz

So, by all means, eat more fat, but if you’re experiencing a plateau in you weight loss, you might try cutting back on some of that fat and see what happens.

(Rob) #26

It’s good advice in as much as if something isn’t working shake it up… but I think there are better n=1 experiments showing that the body can handle massive amounts of fat without weight gain. What happens to each individual is dependent on their metabolic situation and peculiarities but there is certainly no law that says excess fat calories must lead to stalls or weight gain. This is a good one from on of our own members… (over consumption of almost pure fat leads to significant weight loss in 5 days)… fascinating :thinking:

PS Just because something is called a Bible and Authoritative doesn’t mean it is! In fact anything that puts those words in the title is clearly trying to cover the fact that it likely isn’t either :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Alec) #27

Sorry, Darren, disagree. The principle is simple: eat fat to satiety. The reference above is clearly CICO thinking, and we know that is wrong and doesn’t work. If you encourage people to limit their fat because they are on a plateau you are essentially buying into CICO again.

Now, if the phraseology had been don’t eat more fat after you are satiated, I would not disagree with that. That makes perfect keto sense,

That whole article was based around CICO thinking. Not keto. That’s what I was pointing out.

(Alec) #28

Darren
I cannot see how the below is consistent with keto principles.

1. Added Fats

7 Keto Foods That Can Stall Your Progress

Keto and low-carb diets are typically high in fat. Generally speaking, low-carb diets contain more than 50% of calories as fat, and keto diets provides about 65-80% of calories as fat.

In recent years, the notion that increasing fat intake will promote weight loss has been circulated among the online keto and low carb community. However, this isn’t true. In fact, adding too much fat to your food can backfire.

In order to lose weight, you need to create a calorie deficit. Including large amounts of butter, cream, and oil in your diet will cause you to burn more fat—but it will be the fat you’re eating rather than your own body fat.

If you routinely add a lot of fat to meat, fish, avocados, and similar fatty foods, you’re likely to experience weight loss plateaus. Limiting added fats to a couple of tablespoons of dressing on salad and using a small amount of butter or oil for cooking may help you get the scale moving in the right direction.

Alec, keep in mind, the article is written to a general audience, and not a specific person. If one is obese, they have plenty of fat to burn on their own. They don’t need to incorporate a lot of fat into their diet to begin with.

Including large amounts of butter, cream, and oil in your diet will cause you to burn more fat—but it will be the fat you’re eating rather than your own body fat.

I don’t see CICO in the above quote. I see advice that agrees with the the quote I provided from The Ketogenic Bible.

What I’m simply saying is, give it a try and see what happens. If you don’t start losing weight, then up the fat content again. Try something else. That’s the beauty of the ketogenic diet. It’s adaptable.

(Terence Dean) #30

Depends how you interpret satiety, if you check out the merriam-webster online dictionary:

Definition of satiety
1 : the quality or state of being fed or gratified to or beyond capacity : surfeit, fullness
2 : the revulsion or disgust caused by overindulgence or excess

I don’t eat fat to that level at all. Mind you I did go shopping today for some pork belly so I can cook this Chinese crispy pork belly recipe. So I may get satiated after eating that!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #31

Where do you find pork belly with skin on?

(Terence Dean) #32

I got mine from a supermarket but you should be able to get it from your local butcher. I used to buy Crispy Pork like this from a China town restaurant, all chopped up and wrapped in paper. Needless to say half of it was gone before I got home. I hope this recipe is as good otherwise I’m going back.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #33

None of the supermarkets near me carry pork belly. It’s a special order item you have to get from a couple specialty meat places.

I can also get in bulk from Costco, but none of them come with the skin on.

(Robert C) #34

I do not think the “fat to satiety” principle is that simple. If I create highly-palatable extra spicy high-fat meals and interweave courses with fat bombs for lunch and dinner after having a bullet proof coffee to kick off my day, I might be able to eat double my body’s need for fat that day before I reach satiety. Whether it is actually stored (which is, I guess, is unlikely without insulin) or runs through me - it is NOT going to allow what I want - the accessing (and therefore reduction) of stored fat on my body.

What “eat fat to satiety” is banking on is feeling like you have had enough BEFORE you consume more fat than you will use in a day (or for maintenance - about the same amount). Sticking with whole foods, cutting back on spices and maybe even completely dropping fat bombs (with artificial sweeteners) and bullet proof coffees will help ensure you are eating less fat each day than you will use. So, yes - the original poster should maybe think about “fat to satiety” but should also keep in mind strategies to keep satiety below their total fat needs.

This is in line with advice that Megan Ramos seems to give pretty often on podcasts - that when people stall, while still trying to get down to maintenance, they should drop bullet proof coffees and fat bombs and maybe reintroduce when at maintenance.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #35

Perhaps we give the wrong impression in our efforts to convince people that fat is their friend, but fat is not a magic weightloss substance. All it is is the macronutrient that stimulates insulin secretion the least, so it is the best source for making up the calories that we are no longer eating in the form of carbohydrate.

The author of this passage seems to have overlooked the science that shows how the body on restricted calories restricts the metabolic rate to compensate, so that it becomes harder and harder to eat few enough calories to perpetuate weight loss. By contrast, we also know that the body on an abundant supply of energy will ramp up the metabolic rate and, if we don’t give it any carbohydrate, will feel free to start burning its excesss fat. So fat is not magic, it’s just the easiest, most calorie-dense way to give the body all the calories it wants.

Personally, I love eating fat to satiety, because it takes all the guesswork out of figuring out how many calories to eat—as if I knew better than my body anyway! (And of course, high-fat food is much tastier than low-fat food, any day.)

(Ken) #36

It’s technically not pork belly, but if you buy a raw ham you can peel the skin off with a nice layer of fat attached.

(Ken) #37

Eating fat to satiety is fine for maintenance. However, once derangement is eliminated, you need a deficit to lose additional fat.

(Robert C) #38

Yes - fat is not a magic weight loss supplement but eating to satiety may not help weight loss either (might be great for maintenance).

Restricting calories is way forward though.

The detrimental way to restrict calories is to reduce daily calories and watch your metabolism slow and then wonder why eating fewer and fewer calories is keeping the weight on.

The advantageous way to do this is to eat at around maintenance (keeping metabolism high with adequate fat) most of the time but, drop 8 ounces of fat once in a while to get your body to burn 8 ounces from local stores or fast for several days to get a couple of pounds to stop interfering with using your desired belt notch.

This differs a little from what you are saying because it is not about regularly eating to satiety and then hoping that the genes you were born with will regulate satiety, keep metabolism high and keep body fat % down.

Instead, it comes from the paleo point of view - it assumes that in human history we could never continuously eat to satiety - so we maintained fat stores for times of famine. So now, the best way to get at those fat stores is to mimic periods of zero dietary calories that our ancestors were regularly put through.

I am not saying your way won’t work, I just think it might not work for everyone - but, on the other hand - I think just about everyone’s ancestors evolved pulling fat from local fat stores in times of famine.

(Alec) #39

Nope.

(Robert C) #41

Agree
Nope if you restrict calories regularly.
Yep if you count fasting as restricting calories.