I'm really disappointed with myself today

(Sara Lamberto) #21

Thank you all for your encouragement! In all reality, it’s probably my propensity to beat myself up that partially led me to be overweight…I mean food doesn’t judge you, right? So that is something I’m working on. I will probably have a little bit of a fasting day today b/c something I ate yesterday has angered my body! Jelly beans? Lower carb cheesecake? Who knows…keep calm and keto on though :slight_smile: Have a great Monday!

(Becky Searls) #22

Wow, impressive! :slight_smile: I know when I slip up it’s nearly impossible to fast the next day because I’m hungrier! But if you can pull off fasting you go girl. Just don’t do it as atonement or anything - you did nothing wrong. You were a human and we all do stuff we wish we hadn’t, and then we get better. #progressnotperfection <3

(betsy.rome) #23

When I got up today, the first thing I did was start beating myself up for having some real homemade pie yesterday at an Easter potluck. It tasted wonderful but gave me nasueous indigestion last night at 3 am.
I sat down with my morning coffee and looked at this topic.
Thank you all, I needed to hear this advice!
I especially liked Stacy’s comment “You should say three Hail Kerrygolds and throw a pinch of bacon grease over your shoulder for good luck.”

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #24

I wanted to share something with you from the perspective of someone who’s been doing this for a while. And for a while I mean over three years.

Although I feel for people who have families and small children and there are treats around their house, I do have six grandchildren and I am definitely exposed to sugary treats. I got to say it gets much much easier as the years go by. There comes a point where you just don’t even consider or think about those carby foods because your way of life is just so set. Matter fact when I had my grandchildren over last week I didn’t even consider stocking their favorite foods in my home this time. Instead I did some thinking and decided that they could make individual pizzas on Joseph’s low-carb tortillas and I could make them some whipped cream with fresh berries. They thoroughly enjoyed that! So my grandchildren had fun, I felt good about it, and my son liked my fortitude.
Just keep moving forward, it really does get a lot easier when it becomes a way of life.

(David) #25

As someone new to this, I appreciate this window on the future. It is good to know that this way of eating can be sustained, unlike others I have tried (Ducan, SW, WW, South Beach etc, etc). My biggest fear is diet fatigue and that slow slippage back in to the way of eating that got me here in the first place.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #26

Yes. One way is to find recipes that satisfy and help you feel like you aren’t deprived.
Here’s one to get you started.

If that seems too weird, start with this one. Have fun with it!

(Sara Lamberto) #27

No, not punishing myself :smile: just trying to correct. I am surprisingly not that hungry today. I definitely feasted yesterday, but pretty much all keto-friendly except for the things I mentioned in my original post.

(Marshelle) #28

Really? When does it affect fat adaptation? After beginning in Jan 2017, I ended keto to join the Daniel Fast for Holy Week. I would love to know when fat adaptation ends.

(Beth) #29

Something @betsy.rome said made me realize I have a question for all of you experienced ketonians… she mentioned not feeling well at 3am after eating non-keto pie. That’s how it works for me, too. I don’t immediately feel awful when I eat something with real sugar/gluten/too many carbs/drink red wine. It always hits me hours later in the middle of the night. Since it’s not until hours later, I seem to have a hard time remembering. It’s getting easier, and I suspect that will continue, but I’m wondering if others get quicker feedback or if you’re all just a lot smarter than I am!:blush: Any thoughts on how I might get smarter about this?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #30

NOT smarter.
Sometimes I eat too much of an artificial sweetener and it can have the effect of regular sugar. I wake up with a headache, then I know I overdid it. I cannot eat much. Even a few teaspoons of truvia(erythritol/stevia blend) in whipped cream can make me ill. Ask me how many times I’ve repeated this “experiment”? Lol

Who’s smart now…

(Beth) #31

Well, at least I’m in good company, @Brenda!

(betsy.rome) #32

@bee I don’t know why it tasted so good going down! yet hours later, I felt honestly sick to my stomach. It was blueberry pie, with a very flaky homemade crust. It tasted like it had very little sugar in it, which is how I like it best. I started with a bite, and kept coming back for more.
I theorize the 3 am bit has to do with something I once read in Dr. Bernstein’s book about gastroparesis, delayed stomach emptying, that diabetics can take much longer to process food.
I had also drank some gin over ice earlier in the day, as a keto-friendly choice, but the combination with the pie at 3 am was not fun. I’m gonna try to remember that next time.
Re: getting smarter: I have a mantra I usually listen to - if something is really tempting, have one single bite, remember more bites would taste the same, and stop there. I guess it would be better to not have any, but we are human.

(Mary 🌹 ) #33

Yes👍I have been really asking myself…“what do I really need?” and “what just happened to cause this upset?”

(Karen Parrott) #34

Being a former compulsive overeater for 40 years I had to stop and retrain my brain for automatic eating while cooking and making my daughters lunches.

It took a lot more effort than I ever thought it would take to stop my self from automatically putting food in my mouth.

Onward and give yourself time to retrain your hardwiring brain. You’ll may be surprised at how often the automatic/compulsive eating wants to come back but you can retrain yourself.