I'm disgusted and could scream!

conversationstarters
keto
newbies
fasting
food

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #31

@MG1 There’s a lot of very good stuff in this video:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #32

@MG1 I just posted a video as another topic here. The comment at 17:46 of the video made me think of your trials and tribulations:

There’s a whole lot in that video you will likely find helpful.

(Mg ) #33

Thank you! I agree I’m almost 55 with a bad right knee.
Not making excuses… Really I am not.
However, losing that massive 80 and my body going back pretty well after being that massive…, kinda leads me to believe I can do it without it. I have massive desires which I achieve.
My shrink said it’s better psychologically not to do it if I know deep down… I won’t continue.
It’s much better to be honest than to fail.
I’ll tweak this last 20-30 if it kills me. Then I can help all those millions who struggle with the same feelings about physical excercise.
Lots of women and men struggle with this… Push because it’s ingrained psychologically and fail which sends them into not pushing forward with good healthy clean living and losing weight.
I was one of them.
I would rather see folks lose weight than to try to do something they detest and fail at both.
It’s kinda why a good doctor will tell you to pick quitting smoking first or weight loss first but do not attempt both at the same time.
I left that ship a long time ago which is why I’ve excelled to the level I am with health and weight loss.
I ain’t kidding myself anymore.
Been there done that.
Excercise is amazing however it’s not for everyone. No one should ever be ashamed of that.
Be true to thyself. :purple_heart:
Thank you for your post.

(Mg ) #34

You do know… You’re amazing right? :heart:

(Mg ) #35

Metabolic flexibility?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #36

You could start here if you’re interested:

The ability to flip flop between fuel sources without all the hell. Eat Fat, burn it for fuel. Eat Carbs burn them without feeling like you’re hungover afterwards. Realistically they way we should be.

You’ll find many mixed ideas on it (here) but it’s pretty popular and should be. Purists think it’s all about being able to cheat without the carb hangover, but it’s not at all. We talk of how our metabolisms are so screwed up that we can’t burn fat for fuel anymore which is the case for most of us when we start. But then we do super strict keto and keep carbs out for so long that we recreate the exact same problem just with carbs. Our metabolisms are designed to have multiple fuel sources, so why it’s ok that we always have to have one of them basically damaged is crazy, at least to me. Took me a while to think of it that way, I was at one point a card carrying Keto cult recruiter.

What’s different when you’re flexible aside from the obvious is If I eat near keto all week, then my kid wants a pizza, I used to either eat something else or eat my own homemade concoction or a fathead or something, clearly not even remotely as good as the real thing. But the “payback” wasn’t worth it. I’d feel hungover the next day, retain tons of water aside from the glycogen reload etc. Now If I do that I eat the pizza and that’s it. No payback, no pain, no water, no nothing. The next day I’ll be making ketones again once I burn it off. Not some drawn out long term thing waiting to get “back into ketosis”. It just happens. If I eat a super fatty meal there’s no upset stomach or an hour on the toilet, my body just deals with it.

I share some of these problems. My lack of energy has progressed to the point I’m exercising a lot less than I used to. I jog, instead of running. Today I started to jog and fell so weak, I went back home to take my bike, because cycling is easier than jogging. I’ve never felt so weak in my life. I get off the couch and my heart races like I’m going to faint.

I also struggled with severe muscle cramps, but I’m much better now, since I’ve tweaked my food.

I hope you find solutions to your problems.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #39

I understand this and you’ve been very successful in your own right, doing it in a way that works for you. For me, exercise hatred is mental. It’s based in this idea that it’s all or nothing (I put the clothing on, I commit to a time frame, I follow the heart rate recommendations, etc) and I’ve always been a teenage rebel at heart. Don’t tell me how to do it, I’ll figure it out myself.

As for doing things I think I may fail, if I didn’t I would still be an opiate addict, or eating beloved donuts daily or too anxious to go to the store. That’s me, though. I get where you’re coming from.

I had a hospital event last weekend involving my liver. Now I have fear as a motivator and it proving to be more hearty than vanity and I’m thankful for that. Do let us know how you tweak and make it happen.

(Mg ) #40

Bwaha thank you so much.
I started uping the carbs because I was disgusted!
It’s my addictive personality… Can’t get what I want so I take a tantrum… I’ll show you! :rofl:

Stupid I know but self awareness is key in my opinion.
I guess I stumbled on “flexibility” by accident. However I’d never do it as an experiment. I think it sucks myself.

I much prefer the structure and accomplishment of losing and feeling physically so good.
I kinda don’t with this extra weight I still need to lose.
So knowing I guess I have this flexibility is amazing, however I’d never choose to utilize it for any reason if I still need to lose. No way… Glad I didn’t gain but trying again.
I’m down to around 30-35 a day and feel incredible I’m back on and structured.
I do well with rules and structure today.
Thanks for the insight

(Mg ) #41

I am down to around 30-35-37 now for about 2 weeks give or take.
Haven’t lost one pound.
Not one.
Was easily up to around 80- topping out at 100.
Not sure how I haven’t lost one pound.
It’s insanity
Thank gosh I am equipped to enjoy the food, and prep. It’s like breathing.

Since I am adapted… There is NO question about that…gonna just keep going at 30-35 perhaps dropping to 25-27.
I believe it’ll come off, just gonna be slower is all.

Been doing it this long, why not just keep going.
I enjoy it and feel accomplished at the end of the week.
So… I think because I’m adapted it’s gonna take longer. I will not exercise so gotta stop the foot stomping and just be grateful I only have me to feed and I enjoy the lifestyle

Thank you so much for your post

(Mg ) #42

Ok you described my first year doing ketosis. I picked one.
Ketosis no exercise.
Still felt horrific. I stuck it out for about six weeks.
STOPPED!
Up to 30-35 feels amazing but obviously no ketones. Which really makes S L O W
Gotta be in for the long haul if you’re doing it without ketones.
That much, I do grasp, however it really stinks.
Lifestyle… That’s mentally where I stay.
You know exactly how it feels. It’s awful

No, it isn’t. Very low-carb doesn’t guarantee fat-loss, why would it? Many of us don’t automatically lose on keto even if we have fat to lose.
People experience even gaining way lower, there is nothing odd about that either.
If you can’t lose fat even after several weeks, your eating must be off (or your body, possibly but it still takes a good woe to fix, usually). It’s not all about carbs.
Change something else.
And be patient, 2 weeks are almost nothing, you can’t necessarily figure out if you lost some fat or not.

(Edith) #44

I get muscle cramps when I haven’t had enough salt, mostly at night.

I believe you and @MG1, really need to look into electrolytes. There are many discussions here on the forum. Many. :laughing:

Thank you, Edith.

Unfortunately, tweaking electrolytes helped (a lot!) with the cramps, but didn’t solve the problem of my feeling weak.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #46

If you’re feeling weak, how much protein are you getting?

Also, how long have you been eating keto? The return of endurance generally takes six to eight weeks, but for some people it can take longer.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #47

@Corals Just throwing this out and if it helps, great! If not disregard.

4 years on keto and 99+% of that time in ketosis. Fully fat adapted, but very thin and don’t have a lot of BF to work with. So rather than just start self-burn seamlessly when the exogenous energy is gone, my metabolism tells me very gently that it’s time to eat. I don’t have normal hunger/satiety signaling. The signals I get to refuel are feeling cold, tired or weak. If I ignore those signals or just don’t bother to eat, my energy level returns to normal within the hour as endogenous fat burn takes the load.

Feeling cold, tired and/or weak suggests that your metabolism is not switching to endogenous fat burn when you run out of ingested energy. That in turn suggests you’re not fat adapted. That in turn suggests that you’re not consistently in ketosis. You can certainly burn fat without being in ketosis, but it’s not as efficient. In my opinion, ketosis is the best place to be. In and out not so much. You don’t get the full benefits of continous ketosis, but still get the negative side effects of transitioning to/from carb burn.

I appreciate, @amwassil.

We’re all different and something that works for you (WOE) may work differently for others. I think this WOE fits you to a T, but isn’t totally adapted to me as I’m doing it now. I think I’ll eventually, by trial and error, find ways to tweak it better for my needs. I try lots of things. I’ve tried carnivore, I’ve tried 30g of carbs, I’ve tried switching veggies, etc. I’ve tried eating right before exercising, then 1h before, etc. Eventually, I’ll try something that will work for me. I keep trying.

I think it makes sense to eat when weak/cold. However, I’ve tried that, too. I eat to satiety.

About 1 year keto.

Protein varies, around 110g/day. Fats, about 130g/day.
110x 4= 440 Kcal
130 x 9 = 1170 Kcal.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #50

Have you weighed/measured to determine where ‘satiety’ occurs? Maybe it’s no more reliable/useful for you than for me. If you’re athletic/muscular your ‘satiety’ signal may be kicking in too soon.

PS: Yes, keto was the best thing I ever did for myself. :sunglasses: