I'm cold all the time!

(AnnaLeeThal) #23

It’s possible

(Michelle) #24

I learned early on (hence this thread) that I just wasn’t eating enough. I was still trying to get my head around CICO and doing Keto at the same time. Not good. I upped my calories, while keeping carbs <20g total, and that fixed my being cold issues.

(Guardian of the bacon) #25

Eat more fat.

(Brandt) #26

I believe like other similar comments you need to up the calories to avoid your metabolism slowing because of consistent deficiency in calories especially while fat adapting. Your body is learning how to run on the ketones and not sugar. Take advantage of this initial time period of transition and adaption to load up on the fat.

If your body comes to expect to be running on calorie deficiency amounts it will first spend it’s energy on maintaining all vital functions and will be less efficient to regulate your temperature so tightly. Before Keto I saw this all the time when I was eating low calories. I lost weight and was cold but eventually gained back slowly because my metabolism got slower which left me so little wiggle room on calories.

Be patient and get Keto adapted and your body will regulate. It’s a marathon not a sprint. Stay consistent and keto will help you regulate your hormones and soon correct this.

(Becky Searls) #27

What does CICO stand for?

CICO = Calories In Calories Out.

(Ben B.) #29

I had to learn this the hard way. I’m the frozen department manager at my Walmart and I have to eat a decent breakfast before work because I can spend hours a day in my below 0 freezer. When I don’t eat enough my hands and feet get cold really fast, it gets very painful.

(Maya) #30

I am so grateful for this forum exchange! I am pretty new to keto (just 2 months). I’ve lost 17lb and feel great, except for about a week now I have been feeling frozen …literally goosebumps from head to toes most of the day. I did wonder if I was eating too few calories? based on all your comments I will up that to test if that is the issue and will try eating more fat. thank you guys!! : )

(Michelle) #31

yes, worked for me!

I am also very grateful for this forum. I’ve learned so much!!

(Crystal C) #32

Can anyone help me I haven’t lost anything. I do shakes and string cheese I eat meats and drink water all the time also take N3XT OIL made from non gmo coconuts. I have the keto drink also please help please

(Crystal C) #33

Can anyone help me I haven’t lost anything. I do shakes and string cheese I eat meats and drink water all the time also take N3XT OIL made from non gmo coconuts. I have the keto drink also please help please me I don’t know what to do and where to go from here the amount of money for the keto drink is super spendy and I need the energy badly.

(Candy Lind) #34

It sounds like you don’t understand what a keto diet really is and what you need to do. I don’t know what these drinks/supplements are that you are taking, but the basis, the FOUNDATION, of this WOE (way of eating) is 100% Whole Foods. Eat no processed foods, no grain or grain-based food (no bread, no pasta, no popcorn, no corn, canola, or other grain-based oil), no high-carb starchy foods such as potatoes & other root veggies, no legumes (peas & beans) with a few exceptions, and NO SUGAR. Very few fruits are advised; only lower-carb berries, at least at first. The idea is to completely deprive your body of carbohydrates and replace those calories with fat. You want to train your body to use fat as its main source of fuel, and it takes a little time. You still eat protein in moderation, but it sounds like that is all you were eating.

I think you should start over with a clean slate. Set aside whatever shakes & N3XT oil and keto drink you were hoodwinked into buying. Start eating LOTS of fat in the form of olive oil, butter, meat fat (yes! BACON!), or coconut oil. Eat a moderate amount of protein, choosing high-fat options if available, and very little carb in the form of green leafy veggies (salad) or low-carb cooked veg such as broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, summer squash, etc. ADD FAT to all of it, squirt OO on your salad, put butter on your meat/veg, etc. Eggs & bacon are your friends. Eat when you are hungry, and don’t eat when you’re not, even if it is “meal time.” When in doubt on what to eat, CHOOSE FAT.

Read the HOW TO topic and go through the Newbies topic looking for questions you have, and search simple 2-3 word phrases for anything you don’t find there. After a week or so, In the HOW TO, find a link for a keto calculator and find out what it estimates your fat, protein, carb intake should be in grams. That should get you started. Please ASK QUESTIONS! This is a great forum & people are here to help. I just think your posts ended up in the wrong place & no one saw them. Good luck!

(Kimberly O) #35

Here’s my problem. Newer to keto, 14 days, down 12lb. I am almost certain I’m losing muscle mass not fat. I never hit my protein macro and I’m constantly cold too. But I always get plenty of fat (So I thought)… and I’m very RARELY hungry. How can I “eat when I’m hungry” if I’m like not ever hungry? (Being 5 foot and 220lb I never thought I’d say I wasn’t hungry!) But… that being said. I seriously could eat once a day and be fine. But that wouldn’t help me get my 100g protein. I’m not sure the question really… maybe it’s how can I get all these calories (1090 from pro, fats, ALWAYS under 20c) in one meal? :slight_smile:

(Candy Lind) #36

I don’t know where you got the 100 g protein number, but I doubt you need that much unless you are very active and a heavy lifter. I am 5-5 and weigh 240 and I eat under 80 g a day, most times closer to 60. If you’re not hungry, don’t eat. You’ll make up for it another day when you ARE hungry. But the important part is that you’re not hungry because you ate plenty of fat.

And WHOA - 1090 calories is NOT enough. I think you need to back off what some calculator told you to eat and go back to basics. It sounds like you are on a high-carb, maybe high-protein, low fat eating plan. It’s a common beginner mistake (I made it!); you want your body to use YOUR fat instead of what you eat. Unfortunately, it must be TRAINED to do that by following the high-fat, moderate protein, low-carb eating plan WITHOUT REGARD TO CALORIC INTAKE at first, because your hormones get so screwed up eating carbs.

Could you lay out what you’ve eaten (in detail) for the last few days? Maybe we can see something you could tweak to feel more confident (or maybe we’ll say you’re on the right track!). We WILL find you some calories, regardless. :wink:

(Kimberly O) #37

Totally. :slight_smile: Thanks for the help! I log everything through cronometer. I’m def in ketosis my breath test read at 0.14bac :). I used ketogains calc cause they teach that if your body is already high fat all you really need is low carb. They use .9g protein to each lb lean muscle. My body scale calculates my muscle out at 109lb. Technically the same macros they provide in “ketogenic dieters” group on Facebook. 100p/66f/20c I’m only 5 foot even (technically 4f 11.5i) 220lb - I’m not on high carb at all, never over 20 daily, not low fat. My fat is easily 70-90g, which according to the macros above is “over” :slight_smile: I don’t count calories at all because I know for sure I’m not getting near enough right now. My cronometer measures me out at under 1100. Not on purpose I’m simply not hungry. I’m just starting so I know I have a lot to learn. I know the macros seem odd cause they’re lower in fat but my body is high in fat. And I think they bump the protein up to cover the lack of such high fats to keep you from being hungry? :slight_smile: Hope this all makes sense, sounds open minded not rude or wise. Sometimes text is misleading. I’m very grateful for all help and advice. :heart:

Yesterday:
2 Wendy’s grilled chicken patties plain. 49p/4c/7f
1/4lb beef patty 20p/0c/13f
1/2 can jerky chew 4.5p /0/0
1 cup cooked broccoli 4p/6c/.5f
That’s it: I wasn’t hungry. . 79p/10c/20.5f 590kcal

Day before:
Avocado whole 3p/3c/21f
Shredded cheese and trky pepperoni
chs - 39p/6c/52f pepp - 5.4p/0/0
2 turkey franks 10p/4c/14f
Monster energy drink zero 0/4c/0
Daily total: 57p/17c/87f 1100kcal

(Candy Lind) #38

Well … if you’re really not hungry, I’m not going to tell you to eat! As long as you’re feeling OK, & keeping the carbs low, I say keep doing what you’re doing. I doubt you are losing significant muscle mass, especially in that short a time. If anything changes, you can always ask about it here. And if you get hungry, add fat! KCKO.

(Mark Rhodes) #39

@richard Consider Iodine deficiency. Iodine is one of the key regulators of thyroid which in turn helps to regulate body temperature. The W.H.O. recognizes the cognitive aspects of iodine deficiency and has estimated 30-40% of the world’s population as being deficient.

According to John Douillard
Symptoms of Iodine Deficiency
Mild fatigue
Blood levels of TSH greater than 2
Intolerance of cold
Cold hands and feet
Foggy thinking
Increased need for sleep
Dry skin
Thinning hair
Occasional Constipation

I started taking iodized salt rather than my Celtic Sea Salt during fasts to alleviate my coldness and it worked, mildly. I bought J Crow’s Iodine Drops online and supplemented some iodine along with my trace elements (electrolytes) in my fasting water during extended fasts up to 7 days. These drops eliminated our feeling of cold in toes and fingers. We live in SE Wisconsin and it does get cold in this part of the world. I suspect that when fasting I empty my reserves of iodine quickly.

Anyway, this is our experience and I thought I would share it with you and the others to investigate.

(Candy Lind) #40

WOW! So much of this applies to me! I’m going to look for an iodine supplement today! Thank you.

(Richard Morris) #41

Yes good call. A shortfall in available energy can be hormonal as well as substrate driven.

In my case I am probably not iodine deficient because several times a week I’ll have 5 roasted Nori (seaweed) with cheese and vegemite on it as a snack :slight_smile:

(Kimberly O) #42

Thanks! Always learning. :slight_smile: