If you struggle to keep carbs low

(Merete C) #21

There is a lot of wonderful vegetables you can have, even you may have to limit quantity depending on your goals: here is a good link from dietdoctor.com
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/vegetables

The less insulin resistant you are, generally the higher your carb tolerance due to the lower amount of insulin produced for the same amount of carbs (or protein). Only you will know that exact level by testing yourself over time.

(Lisa) #23

Thank you for both useful information and sympathy. :blush:

@kairos @carolT Iā€™ve been using the cheap urine analysis sticks, but folks keep talking about the blood meters - itā€™s probably time to spring for one.

@meretec Thatā€™s a nice pictorial carb range depiction. I didnā€™t realize :eggplant: was that low carb. And itā€™s been a while since I had a zucchini.

I hate liver. I have bowel issues over the past two years, eating nutrient dense veggies equaled a healthy gut for me. Iā€™m thankful for those doctors who arenā€™t afraid and are promoting greens. I feel much healthier with a rounded low carb diet.

(Adam L) #26

Iā€™m not a religious person bit I feel truly blessed to have found this site/forum. My profile summary says Iā€™ve read 6.7k posts in the last month & it has been absolutely eye opening to have read so many testimonies from so many different people who thrive on things that cause others problems. It seems that one persons cure can most certainly be another persons poison. Great to have this resource with so much information helping people to make informed choices & find what works best for them.

(Samuel Ashford) #27

BTW, Lisa: Iā€™ve heard for some time, on many podcasts - by many folks - that the Precision Xtra sticks will cost you $5 each. I donā€™t know about you, but if Iā€™d never used a blood ketone meter and someone told me testing would cost me a minimum of $5 a finger prick, I wouldnā€™t be too happy with that.

BE ENCOURAGED! Let me assure you, they are easily available on eBay for much, much less. I recently bought a 30-pack from a wonderful seller, ā€œanneecakesā€ (100% positive feedback on 1448 sales). I got the pack for $64, which is $2.13 a stick.

Thirty strips will go a long way to tracking your progress. This was so helpful to me over the weeks I used them, because for me, there are so many aspects of ketosis that benefit me, and just knowing that Iā€™m in range lets me know that the ā€œinputā€ (my behaviors that cause favorable gene expression, the foods I eat, etc.) are producing desirable results.

(Lisa) #28

Thanks for the advice, I had heard the strips were crazy expensive but I never thought of checking eBay.

Where can I find your pictorial carb range chart?

(Kathy L) #30

Is this what youā€™re looking for?

(Kathy L) #31

THANKS FOR THE TIP!

Can you direct us to your cheap source? I havenā€™t found any cheaper than mentioned aboveā€¦

I set-up a search with email alerts on eBay and after a few weeks figured out the lowest price; I made sure it was a from a seller with a high rating and high number of sales.

(Kathy L) #33

Do you donā€™t have a seller name to share?

(Arlene) #34

This is so comforting. Most of the time I eat zero carb, but 2 days ago I was out of town with my daughter. My best choice for a restaurant lunch was chicken caesar salad, and a lettuce-wrapped turkey sandwich for dinner. No grains or added sugar, yet I craved sugar all day yesterday. Either veggies cause me sugar cravings, or there was some sugar in the caesar salad dressing. Didnā€™t taste like it at the time. For me, itā€™s easier to keep veggies to low or none for easiest living.

This is what so many people forget when they are bossing you around! What works fro them may not work for you. It can be such a fine balance. When you find what works for you - when you are healthy and happy - you must stand your ground. n=1. Anyone who thinks they know you and your body better than you do can FUCK THE HELL OFF

Thatā€™s perfect. Thanks! I love avocados, but have been limiting them due to the higher total carb content, however, this website uses net carbs for calculations which brings the carb count down quite a bit. I will listen to the video of Dr. Fung to see what his take is on the carb idea. Ultimately, how you feel following eating is just as important, if not more, when deciding to use Total vs. Net in carbs.

(Kathy L) #38

Ahhh -thought we were talking about precision xtra ketone strips, but now that I think about it -guess we were talking in general :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Donā€™t have that meter.

Yes sorry Nova Max is what I use - in the long run itā€™s cheaper as far as I could tell.

The majority of carbs in avocado are composed of fibre. So, from a net carb perspective, avocado is low in net carbs, while providing very high fat, relative to other fruits.

I get mine from Universal Drug Store online @ $2.30/strip