IF and hunger

So…I felt like my weight loss had slowed to a crawl in March. I decided to start measuring myself on the first of every month (I had some old measurements I was using for comparison, but needed something recent and reoccurring.) Recap of me: PCOS, not diabetic, definite insulin resistance, and ~9 weeks keto. I had lost the first ~26 pounds with ease, but the next 5 came off painfully slow. I started IR fasting on Monday (20 and 4). I am feeling hunger, especially starting around hour 15 or 16. It’s not “awful” per say, but it is slightly distracting at times. I’m wondering if this is normal? The plus side is that I’ve already seen some weight loss so I’m very pleased about that.

Oh and I’ve decided on 20-4 during the work week and 2 meals a day on weekends at roughly 10am and 4pm.

(Evan) #2

Totally normal for the hunger hormones to kick in. Your body wants what it is used to and that food! One thing I have used to curb my hunger (currently on day 6 of a fast) is club soda. It will calm those hunger cravings and give you those electrolyte more bang for your buck!

The first few times you do any fasting it’s going to suck no way around it. You have learn to train that fasting muscle ( not really a muscle). It does take some time to get used to it. Over time it gets easier and easier.

Thanks Evan. I have been drinking water only during the 20 hours. I’m not a coffee drinker so I’m saving my diet dr pepper for during the eating window. Today did seem a bit easier. I did feel hunger but it didn’t stay with me the whole afternoon, which was great! I’ve lost 2.2 pounds so far this week; I’m thrilled!

(Evan) #4

One thing I would try is slowly pull out the Dr Pepper. This maybe giving you too much of an insulin spike even if it falls within your carb limit. The insulin response maybe doing more harm that good. Try the plan club soda which is just carbonated water

It’s diet so no carbs. I have read conflicting articles about whether it spikes insulin or not. I believe it was “doc muscles” that said the aspartame in diet dr pepper won’t spike insulin. Bottom line, I will remove them from my diet entirely if needed. I have considerably lowered the amount I drink down to about 8 ounces or less a day.

I will look into the plain club sodas though for sure. Thanks!

(Evan) #6

Adam is get wealth of info and have much respect for him and jimmy. Just keep and eye on it. If you don’t see much changes after a period of time try taking that out and see if the progress continues. We are all different and we react differently to the same substance.

Keep us up to date

Keep calm and eat some bacon :bacon: :+1:t2:

Oh yeah, I just ate bacon on a bunless burger! Yum! I cooked 2 pounds this weekend.

(eat more) #8

you could make your own faux dr pepper with soda and unsweetened food flavoring…they don’t call it dr pepper but we know that’s what it is

https://wizardlabs.us/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=914

you can get these other places i only picked wizard labs because they have most of the flavor companies in one place

(John) #9

I am on a 20:4 right now and it is a bit harder than I thought, hoping to adjust. The 3 day fast was way easier for me which is weird, might be worth a try.

(eat more) #10

i felt that way too…one thing said was that maybe the body wasn’t finished rebuilding from the last fast when i started the next fast.

(Nicole Anne Parlee) #11

I’ve been doing 20:4 too and so far so good. I like reading all this information about experiences. What do you eat for your meals when you eat?

Ooooh, are these like the MIOs?

I might try that, but I leave in a week to go see my baby granddaughter :smile: so I’ll wait to try that after I’m back.

I get off work at 4:30, so about 4 I eat 2-3 brazil nuts. Today I “splurged” and drank some keto hot chocolate left over from last night.For dinner tonight, I have made a fathead pizza! Yummmms! Other nights I’ve had pork steak, steak, and hamburgers. I’ve made keto hot choc a couple nights.

(eat more) #15

not really…they’re food flavoring for candy, frostings, vaping…no sweetener. you could just add whatever sweetener you’re ok with
they were super popular with medifast (liquid diet) ppl at one time to make their shakes less boring lol

Interesting! Thanks I’ll check them out.

So I ended 5 days of 20-4 intermittent fasting and I’m down 3 pounds. It did get easier on the hunger scale the longer the week went. Another plus was I drank plenty of water during the day. I’m going to do 2 meals today and tomorrow and go back to 20-4s next week. Next Saturday I’m on vacation for 9 days so I’ll fast when I can and just watch what I eat while I’m gone. My family is all on board with keto so I really have no worries about eating the wrong food. I also plan to teach them a few good recipes to try! :smiley:

(Nicole Anne Parlee) #18

Awesome!

I know I shouldn’t weigh daily, but I can’t help it. I was up .6 pounds this morning. I didn’t overeat yesterday, but I did have 2 good sized meals (3 scrambled eggs, bacon, and a piece of sausage for breakfast / 3 leftover pieces of fathead pizza from Fri night) and a few pecans (15 or so). I walked during the week, but not yesterday.

I’m used to the weight fluctuation, but just curious if this much in 1 day is normal? I’ll be going back to the 20-4s on Monday so I know I’ll go down again but just wondering if doing “normal” meals on weekends is going to derail me…

(Michelle) #20

I think it’s important to feast during eating windows. You don’t want to reduce your BMR. Weight fluctuations happen so often, don’t focus on that.