Ideal weight?

So just to give a brief synopsis about myself. My doctor highly recommended I adopt a keto lifestyle. I am quite overweight, have Type II diabetes, & take medicine for high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Needless to say I am a bit of a mess lol. My doctor told me he has had several patients that have adopted a keto lifestyle and have been able to get off of diabetes medicine as well as the blood pressure and cholesterol medicine.

With tall that said my wife & I both began on the keto lifestyle a week ago. We both saw amazing losses our first week! She lost about 4.5 pounds (she has far less to lose than I). I lost 12 pounds. I fully understand the majority of the weight is water weight and my weight loss will slow down as I move forward.

My question is I have NEVER been not overweight in my life so I have no idea what a final goal as far as ideal weight should be for me? I am 6’3" currently weighing 360lbs. I uploaded a picture of myself I took as of this morning. Any ideas on an ideal body weight for me? Looking online it says around 190lbs but I have a much larger skeletal structure than most so that seems awfully light for my bone structure. Any thoughts/info would be greatly appreciated :).

(John) #2

190 is about right for that height, if you have average musculature. For now, though, don’t focus on long term goals, just on the daily journey. I’m 6’ 1.5" and felt my best when I weighed 180, though that was in my early 30s. I had at one point been around 170 in my 20s when I ran a lot, but that was a bit thin for my frame.

Side question: Are you intentionally distending your stomach in that pic for your “before” shot? I have always wondered about that when I see people’s posed “before” photos, since I can do a pretty impressive “before/after” combo just by slouching, relaxing all muscles, and distending my stomach, and then standing straight, tensing up my muscles, and flexing.

Thanks for the info. Agreed that focusing on a ‘goal weight’ can put the cart before the horse. But I enjoy setting short term and long term goals. The first goal is to break into the 340’s then go from there.

Sadly that is my stomach all the time. The VAST majority of my excess weight is in my stomach. Makes me know that I will probably battle quite a bit of excess skin. But I would rather loose skin than I would to continue to be so heavy & limited all of my life.

(Robert C) #4

For now, ignore the scale.

Keeping with keto will take care of that - measure carefully:

• Your waist, hips, arms, legs etc.
  • Your blood numbers.

Those will be your best indicators of improvement.

Also, look at your right arm.
Your legs (due to the workload) will likely be pretty muscular.
That will go away as you lose weight.
But, your arms will not magically become bigger - avoid becoming “skinny fat” by starting some sort of strength routine.
I am not suggesting exercise for weight loss (does not work).
I am instead thinking of how this same picture might look a bunch better in a year.

Thanks for the info! I am pretty fortunate that a buddy of mine from college is a personal trainer. He has set me up on some cardio (for endurance) and strength training (to gain muscle, he says this will help fill out some of my loose skin as it appears). Both are set to push me some but not overly as I continue to lose weight and adopt this healthier lifestyle.

As a bonus I must say just in a week I feel way better!

(John) #6

A little while after I started this healthier way of eating, I decided I needed to start exercising some. I started doing a few situps, which was not easy when dealing with the gut in the way.

At first I could do about 10, while lying in bed, just to the point where I could raise my head and look at my feet. It was a start. I kept at it as I was losing weight, and after a few months I got to where I can do a set of 50 real situps, on the floor, not the bed. Which still surprises me - situps were always a challenge even when I was much younger and fitter. It may not make you lose weight faster, but it makes you look and feel thinner to have toned abs, even if they are still hidden under some fat layers.

So keep that in mind as you progress. It might help out some.

(PSackmann) #7

Scale goals are great, make sure to add in lots of NSV’s as well, for when the weight loss slows, stalls, or even reverses as it sometimes happens. That will help keep you on track better than a fickle number on a scale (at least, it does for me).

You’ve gotten great advice so far! I would add a few notes:

• resistance training is fantastic, and cardio can be helpful in general, but as you transition away from burning sugar I personally would keep cardio to some fairly simple low-level activities (lots of walking, for instance). You’re asking your body to adjust to a totally new fuel source and it’s better in the beginning not to also add the stress of new exercise, especially aerobic exercise;

• your ideal weight will become clear once you get there, and rather than one long-term weight goal, I would set your next immediate goal (dropping the first 20 pounds or the first 3 inches off of your waist). Celebrate that one, and make the next one. There are a few people on here who have all of their intermediate goals mapped out, and they get lots of successes on the way to their ideal size;

• and another vote for taking measurements. Take them today! Then take monthly measurements and photo. You’ll be so glad that you have them.

It’s so great that you have the encouragement of your dr and the company of your wife on this journey, and it sounds like your head is in the right place. Good luck and welcome!!

(Mel Simpson) #9

(Mel Simpson) #10

Kudos to your amazing first do no harm in dr.?

(Carl Keller) #11

I think once you arrive at the weight that your body prefers, you will know as long as you lose the weight in a healthy manner and get your hormones behaving properly. If all goes well, you will likely reach a point where your body is not inclined to give up any more fat (I’m not talking about a stall that leaves you half-way to a healthy weight) and if you feel great, move well and have healthy stats, then go with it.

I do strongly encourage you to look at keto as a permanent way of eating and not just a diet. A diet usually implies a temporary food plan and it’s typical to only get temporary results from those.

Welcome to the forum,

It’s a great forum, stick around, plenty of people here have lost tons of weight and beaten T2D so it can definitely be done.

If you’re asking “ideal weight?” To calculate protein macros and all that … then yes you can go down that road.

But by far and away the most important thing to get right is the 20g carbs.

Guys like Dr Eric Westman are using 20g Total Carbs to make sure people really get into ketosis first time every time (otherwise the somewhat weaker 20g Net Carb limit, may work for you as well?)

But after you get into ketosis then you can “eat to satiety”, stop eating when you’re full-ish (obviously not thoroughly stuffed and beyond). But eat if your hungry. With keto you get an automatic hunger suppression, you don’t feel like eating much. And your taste changes. I can’t believe I’m somehow living without pizza.

Cheers

(John) #13

If you look at my profile (you may have to click “expand” and scroll down), I set myself a series of smaller goals along the way. Usually between 5 and 20 pounds per goal marker. That way you get some satisfaction from achieving each goal, and then just have to focus on the next one in front of you, not the long term goal that may take years to achieve.

You can go with non-weight goals too, like waist and chest measurements, or appearance in photos, or fitting into a booth at a restaurant, or not having to ask for a seat-belt extender on airplanes.

You look to be young, so your skin is probably still pretty elastic. If you can get your weight down over time, and keep it down, your skin will tighten up somewhat, so it may not be as bad as you think, though you won’t look as slim as someone who never got big in the first place. Sometimes you just gotta take what you can get.

Exercise is good an’ all. But get the diet right first.

You can’t lose weight by exercising (and keep it off). It just does not work, “you cannot out run a bad diet”.

Once the diet is sorted out, you’ll have more energy, you’ll probably be more active naturally and not carting around all the spare baggage will definitely make you feel much better.

Yep keto is very good and well worth the effort. Just nail the 20g carbs. That is crucial.

(Charlotte) #15

Granted I am a woman, but I have the same problem. I also have a large skeletal structure and so for me from experience a size 6 is when I’m roughly 150lbs which is 20lbs more than what the standard blanket recommendation is. So 150 is my goal.

With that being said, taking bone structure into account, IMO the best way to do this without knowing what YOU consider your ideal weight is, I would find a number that you feel is attainable. I would guess like 220-240 (because your omg tall) and just go until you get to a point where YOU feel good and YOU are happy with how your clothes fit and how you look, not necessarily what the scale says or what some blanket website says you should be. Don’t think about the number on the scale. When you get to the point where you hit your magic number then switch to maintenance and stay keto to keep the weight off. That’s just my two cents.

I sincerely appreciate all the insight everyone has given me. Yes I have been keeping my net carbs at 20g or less daily. I struggle with cravings some (mainly sushi & pizza lol) but for the most part haven’t had any issues (plus I found a keto friendly pizza recipe that helps). I was amazed how by like day 3 I was significantly less hungry. Also was very impressed about how my portion sizes decreased dramatically when eating a keto lifestyle and still felt full versus my old crappy eat junk lifestyle.

I fully agree with everyone’s comments about setting small goals. My first small goal is to break the 350 barrier.
I also travel for work some so another goal is not have to use a seat belt extender on flights.
My wife LOVES roller coasters and sadly I let myself get so heavy that I couldn’t fit. Another goal is to be able to fit and take her to an amusement park so we can enjoy it together :).

I really appreciate all the help and insight on this forum!

(Heather Meyer) #17

For reference… i am 5"11 female. At my highest weight i was 320. For my height and weight and body structure…i was told 175 was a good weight to hit.

Being 6’3 I am guessing that coming in around 200 lbs is a good goal to aim for.

I understand the cravings. When i started…i craved everything! Your body does adjust. But reality is-

"Choose your hard!"

Being sick is hard! Being obese is hard! Exercise is hard! Changing lifestyles is hard! Pick your hard!

I dont think anyone is going to say this journey will be easy. But i know you have what it takes to do this! Believe you can do this because you can!
Sure there might be blips…but thats all it is… keep on going.

If you dont already have one…try starting an accountability blog on here! Be honest with yourself and with others! Let others help you help yourself in your goals!

@juice this guy can give you a kick in the pants or two if you need it!

Point is… You can!

PS… your’e not a mess. And you are not beyond hope!

(Jill F.) #18

I am a petite built 5 ft 4 woman and my “ideal” healthy weight is supposedly in the 120 to 130 range. I know how I carry my weight that if I dare dip below 140 I will look like I am terminally ill! So for me my goal weight is a bit higher at 140.
I think with as much to lose as you have on your journey setting a more realistic goal like 200 or even 220 is maybe more doable than 190. I think if we feel our end goal is unobtainable then we look focus.
I think for now learn how to set small short term goals like when I get into the 350’s I will buy myself 2 pair of smaller pants or other non food related rewards. Set small goals to reward yourself.
Also think of it this way, I am tired of being tired, I am tired of being disappointed in myself, this journey is for me. No one else. I can prep, I can plan ahead, and I can leave the old me behind. I can do this!
Take measurements, take pictures often, and look for those non scale victories to keep you going. You’ve got this!

(Running from stupidity) #19

It’s just ONE of my superpowers.

(Windmill Tilter) #20

I try not to think in terms of ideal weight, I try to think in terms of ideal waist. I started out with size 40 jeans at the start of the year, and I’m gonna KCKO until I’m comfortably in size 34. I’m in it for the long haul as long as the bacon holds out. :grin:

When you’ve settled into a rhythm a bit, and you find yourself interested in exercise, take a look at Body by Science. It’s a really simple way to ease into heavy resistance training using machines, and it only takes about 20 minutes a week. I’m really enjoying it and I’m really pleased with the results. :slight_smile: