I Have Just Joined Your Keto Family

(Patrick L Anderson) #8

Yes, the salt is something a lot of people overlook due to the “salt scare” out there. Yes we probably have an excess when eating a lot of refined foods but once you cut those out you may find it hard to get enough. I drink a glass of water with Pink Salt and a little ACV usually twice a day. It’s also essential if you decide to start fasting. And, it’s great for lessening the effects of keto flu to get your electrolytes balanced out.

(Jeanne Wagner) #9

@David_Stilley I couldn’t agree more!

@KSOM Ashley you are having carb withdrawals (often called keto flu, but I prefer carb withdrawal because it is an addictive substance) and with the sudden stop of eating processed food, you are not getting enough sodium most likely. You don’t have to exercise during this time period, in fact feel free to not exercise until you get fat adapted or at the very least over that withdrawal time. You can feel very heavy in the limbs and run out of energy very quickly. This is because your body has not yet made the transition to burning fat, and is running out of carb stores. If you must, think about walking. You can exercise, don’t get me wrong, but it may be a very different experience than what you are used to because of the transition you are going through. It will go back to normal over a few weeks’ time.

The withdrawal can last a couple weeks to a month depending how low on the carbs you go. When I started, I think I was still around 50g carbs per day and it took a month of enduring low grade headaches. I was only gluten free at the time and had no idea about keto yet, but I remember it very well. If I had ingested more sodium I believe the symptoms would have lessened greatly. Seeing as I had suffered from frequent migraines since I was 7 years old, the low grade headache was almost a relief… except for how long it lasted.

Great start, I hope your symptoms clear quickly, and remember to up that salt intake.

(Ashley) #10

Thank you for the responses. How do you feel about those “electrolyte powders” you can add to water? Is salt added to a glass of water more potent?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #11

Some use them, I never have. I supplemented magnesium starting out but I haven’t done it in a while. Correct sodium levels will balance potassium and magnesium levels as they are interconnected and regulated by your kidneys. It’s up to you but I think money is better spent on good steaks! :cut_of_meat::cut_of_meat::cowboy_hat_face:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #12

You need more salt than you used to, because eating a lot of carbohydrate causes the kidneys to retain sodium. Cutting the carbohydrate lets them return to their normal, faster rate. Ten to fifteen grams of table salt is a healthy range, and that does include the salt already in the food. Getting enough salt also keeps your potassium, magnesium, and calcium regulated, since the mechanisms for keeping them in balance are interlinked.

(Susan) #13

Welcome to the forum Ashley.

Try and get your carbs down to 20grams or less, NO sugar at all, enough protein and healthy fats, and lots of water, and enough electrolytes. You do not have to worry about doing exercise at this point.

(Marianne) #14

Pretty much all I drink is salt water - you get used to it.

(Natasha) #15

My thoughts are that you could need more salt. I definitely needed to eat more than just what I put on my meals. You could measure out a couple of teaspoons onto a small plate and eat it throughout the day. Maldon do a really nice smoked salt (can’t find in Uk supermarkets near me) but amazon sell it. It is very savoury tasting and makes it easy to get a good amount in. The other thing I thought is that until you are properly fat adapted, make sure you are getting enough (but not crazy excessive amounts) fat in.

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your keto journey!

(Karen) #16

Welcome! Our keto family is pretty nice, but there is that one weird uncle. JK

(hottie turned hag) #17

@David_Stilley we’re looking at you

(Full Metal KETO AF) #18

@BlueViolet I’m not your weird uncle, I’m your sick daddy. :joy::joy::cowboy_hat_face:

(hottie turned hag) #19

There are locales wherein one may be -and often are- both, at once! :laughing:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #20

@BlueViolet Like South Dakota. :grin:

Welcome!

(Shelly) #22

Hi Ashley, I have to take electrolytes everyday or get terrible muscle cramps and irregular heartbeat. It’s the one downside to keto for me. I use Ultima or KetoK1000 or KetoVitals in water. I hear many people complain about not getting enough potassium but for me it’s magnesium and sodium that I have to be diligent about. I
eat an avocado everyday so maybe that helps with the potassium… I need 400-800 mg of magnesium and at least 3000-4000 of sodium to avoid cramps.

(Susan) #23

I was thinking maybe @BeefCake

Okay, so a few unique gentlemen around here, hehe.

(Ashley) #24

Thank you all for being so welcoming and supportive :slight_smile:

I took some salt in water last night before bed and it did help a little and allowed me to get some sleep.

I have just woken up and don’t feel as good so I can imagine my salt levels have depleted over night.

I’ve just started my day with a coffee and full fat cream and will be looking to get more salt into me as soon as possible.

(Scott) #25

Hi Ashley

The first week or two kind of suck but just power through it. After that you get more of a “hey this is really not that bad”. When some pounds and inches come off you think this is awsome! Don’t get cought up in thinking this is a diet or you are punishing yourself. This is a lifestyle and you can come or go at you’re own choosing. Me, I am staying keto, it just feels right. Stay strong and keto on!

(Diane) #26

?

:rofl:

(Marianne) #27

Great comment.

Keto has been so good for/to me that I don’t want to corrupt it by ever thinking of it as a “diet.” “Diets” are so destructive. Sadly, prior to this, I didn’t know there was any other way.