I don't understand how to Keto

I’d like to try Keto, but I don’t understand two things:

Fat Sources:
Currently, if I’m hungry, I can have a piece of bread and I’m not anymore. I understand that extra virgin olive oil, flaxseed oil, macadamia oil, etc are high in fat, but they’re not going to fill me up, like the bread can. Where’s that 80% of fat coming from, if I’m going to be in ketosis? Am I supposed to ask my local butcher for all the beef fat they discard, then garnish it with 15% meat and 5% carrots? (I’m really frustrated with this, in case you couldn’t tell.)

Protein:
A lot of the images I’m seeing of keto foods include a lot of ground beef, eggs, and salmon but not much, say, plain lard. How is eating all that meat 1) keeping you at only 15% protein intake, and 2) not putting you into gluconeogenesis, as you burn protein, not fat, for fuel?

Much thanks…

It’s really not hard to see, once you start looking into meals. Yes, at first a lot folks wonder, how they are supposed to eat that much fat, how to do this, etc. … But it’s not just the fat you’re thinking about, but that works too…

Couple examples: Take a Hamburger, even if it’s lean (which you really don’t want) but it doesn’t matter if that’s all you have to work with. Add some stuff to add fat. You can add mushroom, which can be cooked in loads of butter and heavy whipping cream, creating a creamy sauce. Add cheese and maybe some full fat salad dressing or mayo. Now that burger is no longer lean by no means! - Scramble some Eggs. Add some Heavy Whipping Cream to them and cook in butter, and again add cheese.

Instead of thinking just to look at foods with fat, look for ways to add fattier stuff to your meals. But yes, if you read these threads, people look for fattier cuts of meat, and buy fats to add. You will hear mostly of Butter, Olive Oil, Sour Cream, Cream Cheese, Yogurts, etc. There’s a lot once you start looking. … But it’s also in other foods that you will find to be good in fats by themselves. And once you do, you can start incorporating them into your meals to meet whatever needs you are shooting for.

You may have said this in a joking way, but YES, there are quite a few post I’ve read on here that say exactly this! People do ask, and there’s nothing wrong with that. You just don’t think this way when eating an SAD diet. … But this is a different WOE (Way of Eating) and you will find other stuff you find strange, like hearing those say they are pan frying some chicken skins, yes just the skins, no meat! (Which was purchased) Eating butter straight as a snack, meaning just chowing down on the stick of butter. etc. (Also, as a bonus, most of your fattier cuts of meat, hamburger, etc. are also usually cheaper, so you will even save money, eating better!)

Just wanted to give some examples.

(Sarah Bruhn) #3

Is it possible you are confusing grams of protein with grams of meat? for example 100g of beef contains only 25g of protein…

(TJ Borden) #4

So much to cover here. First I’d say don’t focus on percentages. Keep it simple:

• 20 grams or less of carbs
  • moderate protein scaled to lean body mass
  • fat to satiety

To answer some of your questions more specifically:

When you’re a carb burner, bread is what your body wants, and it will fill you up, but usually not for long, especially depending on how deranged your metabolism is. Once you become fat adapted (which for metabolic issues is really the goal of a ketogenic way of eating) then the fat will be very satiating.

Probably because lard doesn’t photograph well :joy:. Lard and Tallow are fantastic healthy fats, and I cook with them all the time.

Your protein goal is based on your lean body mass. It’s a range, and it’s based on the amount needed to maintain muscle. It’s better to go over than under.

Gluconeogenesis is demand driven, not supply driven.

Keep reading, and check out the 2ketodudes podcast. KCKO

(Sarah Bruhn) #5

Very true, chill out and keep it simple- start with eating less that 20g of carbs and adding more fat, you can even figure out protein later as the recommended numbers fluctuate so much. Start out with the aim to get fat adapted.

(TJ Borden) #6

It looks like @Robert_Johnson has been typing a while. This is going to be a long one :rofl::rofl:

(Consensus is Politics) #7

Look at the nutritional labels for the types of foods you are seeing here. Here’s mine for example, I’ve recently been buying up a lot of pork bellies. There’s a joke hidden in there I think (what’s that got to do with the price of pork bellies?!?) but I digress… here’s the nutritional info on pork belly

Nutrition Facts
For a Serving Size of 16 oz(453.33g)
Calories 1280
Calories from Fat 1008(78.7%)% Daily Value

• Total Fat 112g-Saturated fat 37.3g- Cholesterol 240mg-
    Sodium 1866.7mg78%
    Carbohydrates 0g-Net carbs 0g-Fiber 0g0% Protein 69.3g

Pork bellies got some real nice ratios of fat to protein. It’s also got the extra salt needed. Pretty much carb free to boot!

Note that is for a 1 pound slice of cooked pork belly. If I were to include the fat that rendered off while cooking. ThT would be about another 1000-1500 calories. Very filling. I can barely finish a 16 oz slab of belly.

(Consensus is Politics) #8

:cowboy_hat_face:Hey! That was mostly editing time on my copy and paste using an iPhone. Copy and paste on an iPhone is a real piece of work.

Yeah, this :arrow_up:

Fat has more calories than protein or carbs so the % of fat calories is higher even if the weight ratio is the same.

Also, just cut carbs (or net carbs) to less than 20g. Don’t worry about tracking protein, at least until later if you need to.

(Raj Seth) #10

This. Simple.
Just limit carbs. Eat real fatty foods and the macros will work themselves out. If you eat real fatty foods, enough protein will come with it. Protein is a flexible goal. Fat to satiety is the true operative strategy

(LeeAnn Brooks) #11

So this is actually a misconception. Fat will end up filling you up much more than carbs. Though I wouldn’t suggest taking a swig of oil. There are lots of ways to get your fat. Pick high fat meats like pork belly or chicken thighs. Add mayo based sauces to high fat fishes like tuna or salmon. Enjoy cheeses, avocados, bacon and eggs… cook in oils or bacon grease.

You will soon find you can be satiated on fat much longer than your bread.

(Auden) #12

Just listen to the 2ketodudes podcast from the beginning! They created this forum. The podcast explains all of this. Good luck!

Pork belly is my favorite cut of meat!

This is what I did! I must admit one thing though, the lack of concern about alcoholic consumption at the beginning really troubled me. It was addressed in the later podcasts as a possible cause to stall weightloss and I’m still not caught up on the podcast so maybe the view has changed more, but it’s the one thing I can’t wrap my head around.

An occasional social drink or beer on the weekend - okay - but every night? I suggest not. For anybody - not just ketoers.

(Auden) #15

I think it’s like an n=1 thing. If you meet your goals while drinking alcohol/eating cheese/having cheat meals, then that’s ok. If you’re not meeting your goals, then it’s time to look at some of those things and think about changing them.

Yeah for sure, I’ll just never understand (and I’ve said it before) the “good God don’t eat vegetable oil it is devil juice” but drink a low-carb beer or some hard liquor every night as long as you don’t stall and your golden. Or let’s do low carb to heal our fatty liver and then poison it with alchohol.

It’s not that I care what others do, im laid back, whatever works for you. I just don’t understand it.

That aside, I love the 2kd podcast. I actually came here not knowing the two were related - I found them separately.

(Consensus is Politics) #17

I agree. I don’t drink. At one time I kept some whiskey around for medicinal purposes (really :cowboy_hat_face:) as a muscle relaxant when going to bed. But that was years ago. I have a memory form bed that took care of that issue.

I lived up close and personal with alcoholism. My father and grandfather, and a couple of uncles, and many many friends and coworkers. I knew I wanted non of those problems, so I never really picked up that habit. Can’t stand the taste of beer. Horrid. Some brandies I found tasted ok. But I never developed a taste for it.

I became a father during those years as well. I just couldn’t understand how anyone could get drunk and leave their younguns alone like that. I say alone, because even in the same house, your kids are without any real supervision if you are intoxicated. And personally I consider one drink intoxicating. If it effects judgment in anyway. So basically, every time there was some type of social gathering, I was the sober one. The designated driver. The wingman. The body guard. The baby sitter. I even earned a little respect from the Korean mob when I was stationed at Osan AB, Korea. But that’s a lengthy story… :cowboy_hat_face:

Though I’m sure a fascinating one :star_struck:

(Raj Seth) #19

Magnusdog - that sounds a little judgmental, no? What works for one, may not work for others - and what doesn’t work for one, may work fine for others…

Yes I admit it is a judgemental view of society itself, not of any one person. I It would be interesting to see as many scientific studies about the effect of alcohol on ones body as other things related to diet and health such as artificial sweeteners and grain-fed cow butter.

To argue against myself, I guess it’s generally accepted that alchohol consumption has no bearing on a ketosis based diet specifically so it’s not relevant to this forum; where different foods are?

Again, I don’t care what anyone does - just sharing my personal thoughts listening to the beginning of the podcast. Which may not be relevent at all?