I. Am. So. Frustrated!

fasting
progress
experiment

Probably a dumb question but since I just went through this: it’s the same meter and the same batch of strips? I have pretty stable fasting and postprandial blood sugars, and when I switched meters I was getting readings that were about 20 points higher that usual.

(Paula Green) #167

Do you think this is a delayed reaction to your fancy chef meal? I know my body weight often reacts two of three days after over eating. Can blood sugars do the same.

Hope it settles down.

(Cathrine Helle) #168

I recently asked a question relating to this in the “Show me the science”-section. Apparently it’s somewhat of a mystery why insulin sensitive people gain too much weight. Whenever I try to search for articles/studies I find that they exclusively focus on the insulin resistant cascade, and just stating that obese people can also be healthy.

@brownfat replied along the lines as your own theory; that some people excel at making new subcutaneous fat cells, and that the energy goes straight to storage rather than being used (or so I interpreted it). This would somehow cause the same effect as too much insulin, as the body fat is unavailable and the brain starving. I would assume that the mechanisms behind hunger signals apply in this instance as well. Coupled with the fact that subcutaneous fat seems to be harder to lose, there really doesn’t seem to be an easy fix for this.

Please bear in mind that I have no science to back up my hypothesis, I have no medical experience or training. I’m just very intrigued by this, also being one of those that seems to store all my fat subcutaneously and never go beneath 25-30% body fat.

(Richard Morris) #169

Sure but you’ll be disappointed, I’ve been favoring my knee so my distance and speed is down from where it was before my knee blew up in December.

I followed you on strava - we also have a 2KD group on strava.

(Michelle) #170

My doc just put me on this same thing. Tests came back saying I have a hard time digesting proteins.

(What The Fast?!) #171

How do they test for that???

(Michelle) #172

Stool :poop: Not a fun test, but it told me soo much! I have very little "good’ bacteria in my gut, I don’t digest proteins well, and there is inflammation from food allergies. I don’t have any signs of leaky gut which was a good thing. Food allergy testing is next.

https://www.gdx.net/product/comprehensive-digestive-stool-analysis-cdsa

(What The Fast?!) #173

Yes!! I will do this for sure. Do I need a doctor to order it? Also, I wonder if I need to stop supplements for a few days (probiotics, magnesium, etc).

(Michelle) #174

Hi - Yes, I do think you need a doctor to do it. They sent the results to my doc before I could find them on line. This site, however, has it so you can order it. Not sure if it’s the same exact test that I did though.

Oh, and yes, you have to stop any probiotics and some supplements. It tells you exactly what you have to stop and when.

https://www.crohns.net/page/C/PROD/MET4125?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=MET4125&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7bzSy5v11AIVRB2BCh3AdgKREAQYASABEgIkaPD_BwE

(What The Fast?!) #175

I wonder if I’d be able to get a sample without all those supplements! Honestly Michelle…upping the magnesium and salt is the only way that I’ve been able to have a pain-free poo. :frowning:

(What The Fast?!) #176

@DaveKeto

Hey Dave. I meant to ask you a question - based on my numbers, should I be concerned? Am I in danger of anything?
Here’s a recap of my test results:

LDL-P 2299
LDL-C 289
Total cholesterol: 365
HDL 87
Trig 96
HDL-P 25.3
Small LDL-P <90
LDL size 22.3

I’ve been trying to read up on cholesterol and I don’t fully understand what each thing is, but I’m nervous about my results. I was super healthy (in terms of testing) before starting keto and I’m getting a little scared that I’m putting myself at risk for the sake of weight loss (that ironically isn’t actually causing me weight loss).

I know you’re not a doctor, but could you please help me understand these results? I’m hesitant to go see a regular doctor until I understand these results myself. Everyone talks about statins and stuff and I don’t want someone to prescribe something to me that I don’t need. More than that. I’m really kicking myself for doing this to myself.

I went Zero Carb almost 2 weeks ago and I just want to make sure that I’m not making it worse.

(KCKO, KCFO) #177

This video might help you understand your results:

(Dave) #178

Your numbers are extremely close to mine. At last average, I was around LDL-C: 270, LDL-P 2200, HDL-C 71, TG 81, smLDLp <90.

This too is something we have in common. Before Keto, my numbers would be considered “normal” save a slightly lower than range HDL (that no one seemed to care about). I share the concern that this choice may ultimately be a net negative once it is all said and done. As I often say, I was a concern level of 9 on a 10 scale when I first learned about my numbers, now I’m more like a 5, but I’m not a 0.

If you haven’t already – take the time to go through my Simple Guide series – http://cholesterolcode.com/a-simple-guide-to-cholesterol-on-low-carb/

Make no mistake, I don’t claim to know the answer on risk with this way of life. Rather, I feel confident I know why it can (and often does) lead to higher cholesterol, because it makes mechanistic sense. If our bodies are utilizing more fat for energy and that fat ride shares with cholesterol in LDLp, then the higher circulation of these particles are perfectly justified.

I also know there are bad reasons for cholesterol to be higher, such as in the case of an infection event or to repair an injury — but the higher cholesterol being associated with these things aren’t the fault of cholesterol itself, anymore than doctors being closely associated with people dying means doctors are causing their deaths.

So in short, I’m cautiously optimistic. I’ve learned enough about this subject along with my own data to feel confident the lipid system is far more dynamic and controlled than they believe. I likewise know there’s an enormous industry that relies on the lipid theory pressuring us to lower our cholesterol through medication. This isn’t to say they are certainly wrong, but it does explain why so many of these things I’ve found easily could be missed or even ignored so actively up to this point.

I wish I could give you a bro-science, “I’m 100% certain everything is going to be fine.” But I suspect you know I’m a bit careful about what I know is empirically true and what isn’t. And frankly, there’s a lot more that is claimed as a given in this field than there should be on both sides. All I can do is say that I’m confident enough for now that given nearly identical numbers as yours, I’m not taking any steps to lower my cholesterol at this time.

(What The Fast?!) #179

@daveketo Thanks for that very honest answer. Please keep me in the loop as your research progresses.
I’ve committed to a month of ZC to see if I notice any difference. I’ll also be testing 6 months after my initial test so I’ll let you know when I do that as well.

@collaroygal thanks, I’ll take a look tomorrow!

you did mention big changes in your allergies though, that a big plus!

(What The Fast?!) #181

Reviving an old thread with a quick update!
I just had a blood test done for insurance purposes.
Total Cholesterol down to 325 (from 365)
LDL down to 225 (from 265)
HbA1c down to 4.7 (from 5.2)
Triglycerides down to 91 (from 96)
HDL down to 81 (from 87)

I didn’t have control over what they tested but everything else is all in normal ranges.

For the past couple months, I’ve been doing a LOT of fasting and also cut down on coconut and MCT oil since I seem to hyper respond.

@DaveKeto I didn’t do your protocol but still had somewhat lowered numbers, I imagine it’s due to fasting so much more than anything else.

(Dave) #182

That’s very interesting, Andrea — thanks for sharing! :slight_smile:

(Doug) #183

Andrea, that A1C is looking gooood! Should be some pretty serious insulin sensitivity going on.

Triglycerides/HLD ratio continues to be excellent.

That is your gall bladder and bile ducts cleaning out stones. What you are doing has a net effect of being more healthy.

(What The Fast?!) #185

? What does this mean?