I. Am. So. Frustrated!

fasting
progress
experiment

(Dave) #146

I’ve suspected this as a component as well. @KetoLikeaLady is definitely a very interesting case given the excellent insulin control, dietary quanity, and the activity level. Typically, one of these three is in play as the show-stopper if there isn’t another underlying obstacle like thyroid (we addressed that earlier).

The biochemist theorizer in me wonders if there’s a mechanism like “adipose hyperabsorbtion” or some such. Maybe it’s endocrine-based on the hormonal side. Somehow the subcutaneous fat is actually more practive than average at binding in trigs on a per-LDL ratio, which likewise reduces its availability to muscle tissue. But again, this would be a subtle difference.

(Dave) #147

@KetoLikeaLady – how do you feel about your recovery time with regard to both workouts and injury? Anything unusual?

(What The Fast?!) #148

@daveketo So the fun thing is, my b/f works for Polar, the gold standard in heart rate, training, and recovery. I track all that stuff pretty closely. My recovery time is pretty standard. I did have a few injuries (from Crossfit) last year - pulled hamstring and something similar in my tricep area. (That’s why I switched to the other studio that offers more lower intensity stuff.) It took awhile to heal up, but no longer than it would for anyone else (I’m pretty sure).

@richard - WHOA!! Thanks for all that info. I agree, I don’t think I’m resistant at all. And you’re right - I’m very happy but also even more perplexed than before.

I think the next step for me is looking at digestive issues. I only “go” like 2-3x/week and I suspect my body may not be absorbing nutrients properly. (I take LOADS of salt, magnesium, even softeners, and Aloe.) I JUST started (3 days ago) taking digestive enzymes and hydrochloric acid and I think it may actually be making a difference! Fingers crossed and I’ll keep you updated, but I’ve had three days in a row on the squatty potty, and THAT does NOT happen to me. So WOO HOO! My Dexa Scan lady actually suggested that I may have low stomach acid and recommended those supplements (she’s keto 6 years strong).

So, now…I think we wait and see. :slight_smile: Oh, and KCKO.

PS Just finished a quick 15 mile ride this morning, powered by the rack of lamb I made last night after a 24 hour fast. Feeling fab!

(Dave) #149

To be sure, it isn’t uncommon for an ketoer to go every other day. The bigger question is whether it is characteristic of constipation in the bad ways. If you’re feeling the need to go, attempting to, but ultimately failing repeatedly – that’s a sign. Also the characteristics of the stool itself can indicate a lot (and I’ve definitely confirmed this with my own experience). For me, I found I need almost 2.5X the water I originally drank before keto. That and more salt seemed to be the biggest factors.

(What The Fast?!) #150

With ALL Those supplements though - aloe and stool softener especially, I should have been going more. And…if I don’t take all that stuff, I’m going even less and it’s basically pooping rocks/bowling balls/stone bananas. I’ve had very lengthy threads on the forum dedicated to this issue and have taken everyone’s recommendations. :slight_smile: I went and got a colonic last week and talked about it with my colonic lady as well (she’s keto too).

(Dave) #151

That sucks!

FWIW, I likewise had a few bouts early on in the diet. My go-to solution as Magnesium Citrate, but only if I tackled it immediately upon finding the problem was progressing.

One of the more frustrating things about this problem is the sheer anxiety and powerless you can feel. Sorry to hear you’re struggling with this.

(What The Fast?!) #152

No worries. It’s nothing new for me. :slight_smile: The only time I was even close to being regular was when I went vegan…but when I did that, I was CONSTANTLY bloated and gassy. IMO, that was worse. :joy:

I drink keto-aide daily - or I just take a couple swigs from the bottle randomly throughout the day…because that’s how I roll.

I have really high hopes for the digestive enzymes and hydrochloric acid.

(Dave) #153

Oh! I’ll bet that is probably relevant to the larger mystery!

I assumed your above issue was just a common keto outcome (as is typical for many just starting), but having this throughout your life definitely speaks to a larger metabolic situation. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess if we can solve that one non-chemically, we might go a long way to resolving the other mystery. Damn – I have to work now… your case is an interesting puzzle, Andrea.

(What The Fast?!) #154

If you have any non-chemical suggestions, please let me know! :smiley:

(Richard Morris) #155

Caloric overfeeding has a precise definition, it requires that you establish the caloric amount to (in theory) maintain body weight, then increase that by a set amount. I say in theory because when researchers try to do that in a metabolic ward, they have serious trouble getting people weight stable for any period of time - because well we know why … human metabolism isn’t that simple.

You can’t really overeat consistently in an ad-hoc manner because eating more for your first meal will change satiety for subsequent meals.

Given studies showing overfeeding raises MBR I suspect that eating just a little past satiety regularly will reset a famine signaled metabolic slow down. But I’d like to see someone do a study on that in a controlled environment.

Other ways to raise MBR, build muscles, use muscles (exercise), take stimulants, sleep hygiene.

@carl did that following advice from @meganjramos on how to Feast and Fast.

He didn’t specifically test his RMR. But that would be an interesting experiment.

Get an RMR done, then eat normally for a week and get a second one to establish a baseline. Then fast for 3 days, and get an RMR at the end of the fast. Then eat to satiety for 3 days, and get another RMR. Then go through one more cycle of each.

I’d love to see the data from that.

(Crow T. Robot) #156

::cough:: Kickstarter! ::cough::

(What The Fast?!) #157

@DaveKeto I was pondering something today…well, 2 things actually. 1) when I first started keto, I lost 4-5 lbs, but the weight came back…does that mean the weight I gained is real weight, or is it just water weight coming back? And 2)…I feel like I was less strict in the beginning about carbs, like I would have a slice of sprouted grain bread or a bite of risotto and not worry about it…is there a chance that I may need slightly more carbs in order to lose? (That may not be a real thing, but just thought I’d ask if you or anyone else has seen that experience. I believe LeAnn Vogel practices this.)

(What The Fast?!) #158

Interesting thing that happened today…
My BG is always 65-75 in the morning and stays that way most of the day. I had breakfast today (I’m switching it up since I usually IF til 12 or 1pm) and I had a weird inkling to test my BG. I tested it about an hour after breakfast (smoked salmon, labne, eggs, guacamole) and it was up at 95. I just tested it again - about 2 hours later - and it was up to 110.

Hmmm…self experimentation time. Couple things out of the ordinary that it coud be - I had more protein than usual for one meal (I’m trying out the KetoGains macros, using higher protein and slightly less fat than usual), I sipped on a cup of almond milk after breakfast, I recently started taking digestive enzymes and hydrochloric acid with meals to see if that helps my digestion issues. I think one of these three things is the issue…

So, I went and read the ingredients and…lo and behold - my hydrochloric acid pills have maltodextrin in them! I’m going to eliminate the variables and test each of these things separately to see what caused the spike (I don’t usually go over 100, even after meals).

So anyway, that’s my fun project for Monday. :slight_smile:

(Michelle) #159

I would get your progesterone, estrogen, testosterone and adrenals checked too. I have a friend that is in her twenties, has a great figure, and worked out all the time. Her adrenals were so taxed, her hormone levels were at zero for p and e, and at 8 for test. T should be around 60 for females. She was so low, and maybe that’s what’s happening with you too?

(What The Fast?!) #160

I had that test done too. Cortisol high, progesterone a little low. But, they say that keto re-balances your hormones right?
My shark week has been ALL over the place since starting keto, so I imagine that has something to do with it.

Not a bad idea to re-test, I’ll see if request-a-test has that.

(What The Fast?!) #161

Hmmm…it’s now ANOTHER hour later and I’m still up at 112. VERY interesting…I usually drop back down to 70 shortly after a meal.

(Michelle) #162

I didn’t see your FSH. Do you know that? Your TSH looks good, you want that number to be on the low side. Your T3 is 3.1, which is also kind of low (to me it’s on the low side, but I’m no doc). Typically, if your TSH is in order, and your T3 is low, then something is not functioning properly. Your TSH is telling to produce, and it’s not getting up to optimal levels.

Keto regulates hormones, but I think if you have a bigger problem going on with your endocrine system, then it may not be able to fix that. It’s good at regulating insulin, ghrelin and leptin, that’s for sure! Not sure with all the reproductive hormones.

(What The Fast?!) #163

Hmmmm…my BG has been up over 100 ALL DAY! I wonder what’s up with my body today. I haven’t eaten since this morning; all I’ve had is water with salt in it.

It’s so odd. I feel like it must be something non food related.

(Jackie) #164

I don’t have a link or reference but I believe I read/heard that T3 drops a little on a keto diet. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong…

Did some research after first posting this reply and found this.

(Jackie) #165

This is the brand of hydrochloric acid my functional medicine doc has me take. I don’t see any dextrose in the ingredients. I definitely have problems when I don’t take it.
https://www.amazon.com/Thorne-Research-Supplement-Digestion-Capsules/dp/B00LDFI10C/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1498518789&sr=8-18-spons&keywords=hydrochloric%2Bacid%2Bwith%2Bbetaine&th=1