I <3 Mayo

(Ron) #7

Your macros are wrong. Go into account settings on your Cronometer account and set the weight goal setting to “maintain weight”, then go to the Macronutrient Targets and set it to “Hi fat/Ketogenic” setting and on the “Rigorous” level. This should get you to the right macro settings.

(Candy Lind) #8

@MoonBootz, a friend & I discovered that the Cronometer phone app will not save custom macros, so I wouldn’t trust it. Use the macro calculator HERE if you must, but you don’t need to when just starting out. Keep it simple. Under 20 grams carb, moderate protein (a nice serving per meal like a palm-size piece of chicken), fat until you are full. Add fat to the protein. Think of salads & green leafy’s as “fat carriers - put on extra dressing, a rich sauce or lots of butter. Eat some cheese on the side if you’re still hungry. If you count carbs & protein, you can ignore the rest for now.

(Ron) #9

Being unfamiliar with the phone app but on my PC the macro settings do save custom levels, although I don’t understand the need for custom as the Ketogenic Setting that I listed above meet the goals.
Please explain this (maybe something I should know :flushed:)

(Candy Lind) #10

I just have far more access to my phone than my computer, so I decided to not worry about the recorded macros and just make sure the little “wheel thingy” (:rofl:) is close to 70/25/5 at the end of the day. Yes, I could get on the computer & fix it, but I’m doing fine without it. So I don’t bother! It’s one of the few things I’m NOT obsessive about. :joy:

(Ron) #11

Understand :+1: Just freaked me out that I was directing others to something that was totally confusing them??? Good to know that it’s ok.:disappointed_relieved:

(Laurel Harrington) #12

Blockquote Your chicken should be doing the backstroke in butter or wallowing like a pig in the mayonnaise. :joy::rofl::joy:

My tummy doesn’t tolerate coffee or a lot of caffeine so I mostly drink decaffeinated black tea with Stevia. I was experimenting with drinking heavy whipping cream with Stevia ( SO FREAKING GOOD :yum:) but after yesterday I thought that wouldn’t work because of the fat content. YAY!!!

(Laurel Harrington) #13

I need to lose weight though, maybe this is where my confusion is? Like, what my intake grams should be for losing weight vs. maintaining? Idk.

(Alec) #14

This may sound weird, but I think you should be aiming for 130g fat, not 30g. Certainly closer to 130 than 30. Keto rule: if in doubt, eat more fat.

It is the reverse of what we’ve been taught, and therefore feels wrong. But it is right, and it works. Try it and see how you go.
Cheers
Alec

(Alec) #15

I love this… permission to plagiarise? :joy::joy:
Cheers
Alec

This!! I’ve always gone crazy trying to figure out how much meat/protein. Thank you!

(Ron) #17

Yes it is confusing in the beginning.
Until you are fat adapted your body is using glucose to function and when you restrict calories you are telling it to slow down your metabolism in an effort to conserve the glucose you have in your system, including what is being stored in your fat store. The body thinks you are starving and doing what it can to save you.
When you become fat adapted then the body doesn’t care anymore about glucose as it is using ketones as fuel. The glucose will decrease and what is being stored in storage will get burned away as well. This is when your body starts burning the fat away.
This thread might help-
Losing weight on a deficit/surplus?

(Diane) #18

When you’re starting out eating ketogenically, you’re forcing your body to switch from burning carbs to burning fat. It takes some time to get there. In the meantime, you need to provide the fat until your body becomes efficient at producing and then utilizing ketones from your own body fat. This happens over time until you become fat adapted.

If you’ve been a serial dieter (as many of us here have been) using the CICO model (calories in calories out, or eat less move more), you may have lowered your BMR (basal metabolic rate). Eating more fat will help you raise your basal metabolism and give your body the nutrients and energy it needs to heal any metabolic damage you might have that led to your weight gain in the first place.

@J_A-M gives great advice for beginners. See this link:

Here’s another link with useful information regarding ketosis and fat adaption:

Hope this helps! Good luck on your journey!

(Candy Lind) #19

Soitenly! LOL My steak was doing the backstroke in Kerrygold this evening. :smiling_imp:

(Candy Lind) #20

Add some high-quality cocoa powder to it and you’ve practically got a chocolate shake. And hot chocolate in winter! :slightly_smiling_face:

(Laurel Harrington) #21

:drooling_face::drooling_face::yum:

(Alec) #22

My lamb fat today was enjoying my home made mayo like a pig in shit!

(Jennifer ) #23

Hi Laurel!

First off, was it weird having everyone listening to a computer say your name this week?

Second, sounds like the folks above cleared up your confusion around fat. Fat is your fuel now. If you take away your glucose source AND your fat source…well let’s just say don’t sign me up for that diet. I also friggin love mayo…I would quickly suggest peeking on the back to make sure you have a kind without added sugar. Duke’s Mayo is sugar free, although it doesn’t have soybean oil which is ehhhh in terms of quality fats, but if the rest of your fats are healthy, then whatever. Mayo with avocado oil would be a better source of easy-to-use fats.

Weight loss on keto is the side effect, but the main event is healing your metabolism. Do not fear the fat, or the calories. I would do some reading on here about “eating fat to satiety”. Carl & Richard did a great recent podcast about that exact topic.

Moral of the story KEEP CALM AND MAYO ON. You got this.

(Jennifer ) #24

I’m fucking dying over here. Perhaps the breaststroke would be more suiting? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Laurel Harrington) #25

SO weird! It’s not a common name so when I hear it, 99.9% of the time, it’s directed towards me. So yeah, it was really weird to suddenly hear my name coming out of the TV repeatedly :grin:

(Alec) #26

This should be made illegal! But it’s the kind of stuff we can enjoy without fear. Oh joy!!!