newly fasting need your help!

zm8996
9h
i am 20, male and have a few questions about getting in ketosis. I’m a skinny guy who just completed a mini 8 week bulk (don’t know if I should call a bulk)
starting weight at bulk 132lbs and ending weight is 138lbs. definitely gained muscle along with little fat. i made a mistake upping my calories a lot and consuming a lot of mass gainers. i bulk at 3300 calories.

now here’s the questions.

I’m fasting since yesterday on water only. I was advised this is most effective way getting your body in ketosis? true or false?

when body is in ketosis, does it lose muscle along with fat?

ketosis diet - here the foods that I have
Egg,natural peanut butter, cheese slices, olive oil, spinach, nuts, meats. is this enough?

my main concern is that I’ve gained some little fat on my arms and some in my quads. everything else is lean. i have a six pack. thanks

(Jay AM) #2

Well, ketosis is triggered by starvation and, since you aren’t fat adapted, that’s basically what you’re starting. The better way to get into ketosis? Eat under 20g of net carbs a day and actually eat real food. Ketosis is protein and muscle sparing as long as you are providing it enough energy with high fat and moderate protein while keeping carbs low. The goal is to control insulin spikes to allow ketone production from fat. You’d probably really like Jason Wittrock on YouTube. He’s a 5% body fat fitness model that does keto. There’s also Goody Beats who is a bodybuilder doing keto on YouTube. I’m also putting my general newbie recommendations below.

We have a few sayings here, “keep calm, keto on” and “trust the process.” Keto isn’t a quick weight loss diet. It’s a health gaining way of eating with fat loss as a side effect. If the scale is an unhealthy obsession, put it away for a couple of months or give it to a neighbor you don’t like. People like the idea of numbers because it feels like control. That’s an illusion. The only number that can potentially provide actionable information for most people is a blood glucose reading. While numbers might be interesting data to track, they aren’t something to chase. Everyone’s numbers are different, everyone changes in different ways.

There are two phases to ketosis and a ketogenic lifestyle.

Nutritional ketosis is phase one. Your body begins to produce and uptake some ketones while dumping the rest. It will still search for glucose to use as fuel. In this phase it’s not an efficient process. It has to work actively to get rid of stored glycogen, clean up excess blood sugar, and turn on the ability to use ketones.

Fat adaptation is phase two. Your body is efficiently producing ketones from intake and stored body fat and is also using them efficiently for energy. It takes around 6-8 weeks of strict keto to achieve for many but not all.

The basic “rules” I go by and many others can agree with especially for beginners are:

*20g net carbs max (you might tolerate more but, starting out, 20g net carbs or less will get you into ketosis.)

*Moderate protein (Moderate means eating different meats and eggs. Preferably meats with their own fat or meats you will add fat to. We aren’t trying to eat protein to be full, we want to add enough fat to our meals to be full with. If you are searching for a number, 1g-1.5g per kg of lean bodyweight is a good goal based on the 2 Dudes recommendations.)

*Fat to satiety (add fat to every meal and, if you are hungry, eat more fat. Don’t be afraid of fat. It is energy.)

*Do not restrict calories

*Do not exercise excessively in an effort to lose weight

*Drink plenty of water

*Get plenty of sodium and other electrolytes (Try homemade ketoaide)

I <3 Mayo