HWC question

Anyone use Horizon Organic HWC? I don’t know if I am being punished for still consuming dairy or what lol, but it tastes overwhelmingly like butter - I just learned that I wouldn’t be a butter in my coffee person…not sure if it’s the brand or if it’s a sign it’s gone bad? Love butter, love hwc, do not love butter flavored hwc :nauseated_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

If you shake a pint of heavy cream for about half an hour it will be butter. I remember our class taking turns in kindergarten half a century ago! :cowboy_hat_face:

Maybe it got churned on the ride to the store from the factory :upside_down_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #4

I usually cut my cartons open when they’re empty, I love the fat hunks that are stuck on the top of the carton sometimes. It goes right in my cup. I don’t like Kerrygold and Coconut oil coffee like some people but I like the fat in cream. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #5

Graci’s idea makes sense. Try a different container of the same brand, and if it still tastes buttery, then the cows’ milk they use must have a higher butterfat content than most brands do. So in that case, try a different brand and see if that makes a difference.

(John) #6

I like the Horizon Organic brand, but I rarely use heavy whipping cream. When I do buy it, that’s the brand I get. It’s also the main brand of butter we buy.

I don’t care for HWC in coffee. I only use it if I am cooking something and it is an ingredient. I drink coffee black, or sometimes use a coconut/almond based non-dairy creamer.

Do you notice a butter flavor to their hwc when you buy it?

(Carl Keller) #8

I use Horizon organic HWC in my coffee and sometimes I notice the contents feel a little chunky or even sludge-like, especially when the carton is near empty. But it doesn’t have a buttery taste to me.

Thank you, I think something was off with the quality of mine, it was a new little carton with an expiration date in June, but I’ve never had hwc taste that buttery flavor before…

(Ethan) #10

Are you drinking the HWC in containers that have the screw cap or the old-fashioned rip-open cartons?

It has the screw cap, I actually bought two small cartons, one was Horizon Organic and I believe the other one is Organic Valley (this brand tasted like I expected hwc to taste).

(Ethan) #12

The screw caps have a thickening agent in them… could affect taste, too.

Oh wow, thank you for the info, I had no idea…maybe I can find the cartons without next time :blush:

(John) #14

I have not noticed a particularly buttery taste to it, but I am in general not a connoisseur of heavy whipping cream. I bought some in my early keto days because it’s kind of on the assigned grocery list they give you of “stuff you didn’t ever buy before but now you need to because keto.” I never find myself buying it now. If I need it for a recipe, I buy it then.

(Ethan) #15

We have a brand here Trickling Springs that comes in a glass bottle. It’s $7.29, but you get $2 back for returning the bottle. It’s been the most pure I’ve seen.

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #16

I kinda wanna do this now!!!

(Steaks b4 cakes! 🥩🥂) #17

Same here!! Don’t do butter coffee (anymore) or coconut oil but I’ll take a creamy coffee anytime!!!

(Jody) #18

I buy it sometimes, I never thought it tasted like butter, but I do often get those chunks. love it!

(Full Metal KETO AF) #19

Not organic cream. Commercial whipping cream often has carrageenan or some type of gum, and carb content because they’re not to thorough with the separation and use the gum to get the proper viscosity and I imagine to help it whip with the additional milk content. I usually use Humbolt Creamery, sometimes Clover or Horizon. I avoid non organic cream as much as I can. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Ethan) #20

Organic creams absolutely use carageenan or guar gum. You find it in the ones with screw caps.