Humor :-)

(Doug) #803

Anglo-Saxons made good swear words, though. :sunglasses:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #804

“An our” is the standard pronunctiation on both sides of the Atlantic. But I know quite a few Americans who say “a our.” :frowning:

And I know plenty of Americans who say “fillet,” and several Britons who say “filet.” Go figure!

Even Her Majesty speaks differently from how she spoke seventy-five years ago. I well remember a grumpy opinion column in the Daily Telegraph (the royalist rag) many, many years ago, taking her to task for getting something wrong. But even the author eventually had to admit that the locution he detested (whatever it was) was, most literally, the Queen’s English.

(Ellen) #805

Because it’s a letter?? Honestly not sure, some dialects drop letters etc, as a Northerner I’ll say toad int’ thole (no idea how to properly transliterate it) rather than toad in the hole (British meal), herb or erb will differ depending on where in the UK you’re from.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #806

One thing I do notice, is that in England, the usage of the word extreme spoiler for Americans ■■■■ is far more liberal and seems to be regarded less harshly than it does here in America.

(Ellen) #807

Nope hour is silent h as is honour, #English is fun :wink:

(Ellen) #808

Happy birthday Doug :grin:

Oh, now you’re getting into regionalisms, which is pretty thin ice. There’s definitely a difference between a word that’s valid in dialect vs. just flat out mispronouncing things.

It drives me nuts when someone ax a question :wink:

Some of y’all would lose your minds if you grew up in the Appalachian region like I did. I was pressured in college to lose it, so people would take me seriously, because the Appalachian dialect (aka “hick”) is always considered an acceptable punch line. Mine wasn’t near as heavy as those found among the true Mountain Folk, but I spent literally months retraining myself, like dropping the “r” from “washing” and learning to stress my gerunds.

I’ll never get my accent back, but I still have some holdovers that tell people here in the PNW that I’m somewhere from that area: beyond “y’all,” there’s “might should,” “that’ll learn 'em,” or shoot even Appalachia itself (Appa-LATCH-uh).

For that reason, I enjoy poking fun at “prim” and “proper” dialects, like the Queen’s English.

Dialects and sociolects are are correct oral language. Sometimes people make mistakes when speaking, but many dialects have grammar which seems odd when compared to the standard written language.

In Norway, we have been very lucky to have once had a written law that said children in school should get their educationin their own spoken tongue. Means that the dialect can’t be too different from their own, the children have a right to understand their teacher. This was when teachers often came from Denmark, and thus spoke a completely unintelligible variation of Nordic (Norwegian, Swedish and Danish. They are linguistically dialects of the same language). People in Norway (mostly the rural) will often adapt their spoken language for the sake of communication, but we have gotten used to be taken seriously no matter what dialect we speak.

But you may correct written language as much as you want. A common standard is a good thing. In certain settings, there will also be words and phrases which should be used the correct way. Unfortunately, some words will eventually change pronunciation, just like most words in English. “i” should really be pronounced like modern “ee”, but at some point in time, a larger group of people just started saying it differently. The vowel shift in English, as well as the french words that came after 1066, is a big reason why people in Norway and England stopped being able to communicate fairly easily using their respective mother tongues.

Language is a wonderful thing. But the youth have never been able to use it correctly, in any part of the world or at any time in history. There’s a story that Cicero too complained about how the youth in his day used the word “penis” incorrectly, as it really meant ‘tail’. And nowadays, crazy old cat ladies can’t call their cats pussy just because younger generations ruined the word.

The last part will have to count for the humour in this post.

Aight to get this back to humor:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #814

You mean ford the stream or jump the crick?

Tell that to Twitter. Uff da.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #815

If they rule that a woman and her uterus are a business, he’s in real trouble.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #816

No pain, no gain.

Not to get Topical, but peak Millennial dark humor for us has been this exchange with Anti-Choicers:

“What if your mother had aborted you?”

“God I wish.”

Like that tactic isn’t going to work lol

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #818

I am a nerd not a geek. :grin:

Which one are you?

(Bunny) #819

That is unbelievable and I wonder if DAA members have any monetary interest in this (sugar pushers passing notes and lurking in the shadows) hmmmmm?

It is like a license to kill?

(Carl Keller) #820

Big Sugar’s sales was predicted at about $100 billion USD in 2017. The can certainly afford to buy some influence.

(Bunny) #821

Ooh! I could get into this deep but will refrain!

But yeah, definitely without question!

(Little Miss Scare-All) #822