Humor :-)

Well I don’t have any trash in my car. So their!

(Jane) #784

lol

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #785

Next Febuary, go to the libary and ask for some books on the effect average tempature conditions have on infastructure. You can also find books on the terrist threat and what to do about it.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #786

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

(Stickin' with mammoth) #787

It’s a Brazilian word. I’m going with the Brazilians.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #789

But I think we can all agree that it’s NOT pronounced Jag-wire. I watch a lot of football during football season, and if I have the misfortune of having a Jaguars game on, I want to stick nails in my ears because most of the announcers say “Jag-wire”. It’s like an infectious verbal disease.

(Diane) #791

Nope.

Just kidding, but you baited me!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #792

I’ve actually never heard anyone say jag-wire, that’s punishable, but then I’ve always been in a city large enough to have a significant Hispanic population, so when in doubt I just tap one of my Spanish speaking buddies on the shoulder and ask.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #793

Same. Manhattan (NYC) is easily visible from my apartment. I’ve only ever heard people on TV pronounce it stupidly.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #794

In Spanish, it’s ha-gwar. In American, it’s jag-warr. In English, its jag-you-are. :bacon:

(Doug) #795

They’re pretty good with those bikini things too.

Jew-ler-ree for ‘jewelry,’ chimley, they went acrosst the creek… :rage::pleading_face::scream::nauseated_face::face_with_head_bandage::woozy_face::face_vomiting::cold_face::cry:

(Diane) #796

I’ve heard this one- the carpet needs vacuumed.

Sigh…

(Stickin' with mammoth) #797

“Windowshield wipers! Glove department! Oranch juice!”

–Me, ten years old.

(Ellen) #798

Yep, and the Jaguar ads Cumberbatch did were pretty lovely to listen to.

Alright real controversy time: why do Brits pronounce the h in herb? I’m just sitting here watching a British cooking show and hearing “hherb” and it’s like nails on a chalkboard.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #800

Is it The Great British Baking Show?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #801

They just do. The pronunciation of the letter ‘h’ is a linguistic marker. I have noticed that, in general, American pronunciation tends to hew closer to the French (the ‘h’ is silent in herbe), whereas the English pronunciation is strongly influence by other factors, such as the basic iambic pentameter that English words tend to fall into, and the history of how the word entered English in the first place.

Not only that, but the pronunciation of ‘h’ used to be one of the shibboleths that distinguished between different social classes. (Take, for example, the dropping of aspirated ‘h’ in Cockney dialect. It took me a bit of research to figure out the correct spelling of the London borough of Hockston, which figured prominently in an episode of Upstairs, Downstairs—the Downton Abbey of its day—since the Cockney characters pronounced it “Oxton” with great conviction.) “An history” and “an hotel” used to be considered proper educated and upper-class English up till fairly recently, despite the fact that Fowler thought it bogus a century ago (but he was weird; he also preferred the simplified spellings of “programme” and “honour,” even though he was the editor of the Oxford English Dictionary).

I spent a year in London many years ago (my ex is British), and even these many years later, “erb” and “bayzil” sound wrong. It’s “herb” and “bazzil”!

ETA: Everyone pronounces the ‘h’ in “Herb,” btw! It’s not that weird a pronunciation.

Do they also say “a hhour” too? I’ll be damned if I restructure the language to the Queen’s English just because a bunch of posh dudes hated The Poors. This is true American-French solidarity. And god I didn’t even touch “fillet.” FILL-et, really?