How to up my fat and fibre, but not protein?

(Jacqui) #1

Hi all, this is my first post and I’m on day 4 of my keto journey.

I am 35, female, and have been overweight or obese since I was about 12. Currently around 96-97kg.

I understand that to begin with I should just focus on very low carb and getting nearly all my calories from fat and protein, but I want to start thinking about the best foods now so I can plan.

What I have noticed, while tracking, is that I am eating a lot of protein. In the first podcast and the one on protein it is recommended to eat only 1g per lean kg body weight. According to my scale that would only be 55g protein (I’m over 40% fat). I’m eating more like 100-150g per day, but alongside a similar amount of fat.

I have also noticed my fibre is not very high, maybe 10-15g.

So my question is, aside from eating actual fat (coconut oil, butter, double cream, etc), what is the best way to get more fat into my diet, but without extra protein. Is it just adding these fats to my food, or are there foods high in fat but not protein?

Also, I know non starchy veggies are good for fibre, but are any particularly good, and is there anything aside from veggies that is a good source of fibre, but not protein.

Many thanks in advance,
CoderGirl

(Garry (Canada)) #2

Avocados.

(Jacqui) #3

Thanks @BeavertonGarry
My app says the green ones, which we get in the UK, have 7g carbs for a whole one. Do you know if that is correct as I think I have read differently elsewhere. Maybe the black ones are better?

(Garry (Canada)) #4

I’m not familiar with the ones in the UK, (I think you guys have green skins) but I believe they are the same nutrition as a standard avocado like Hass etc in North America which = 4net carbs per avocado. We each (wife and I both lchf) usually eat 1/2 avocado a day - every other day without any concern. Great side with eggs. Salt them! :wink:

(Carl Keller) #5

Hello Jacqui.

I’m short on time but I wanted to respond to the fibre aspect of your post:

I agree that fiber is very important in a diet rich in processed foods. In his book The Obesity Code , Jason Fung likens the relationship between processed foods and fiber as poison is to antidote and says that without the poison, the antidote in unnecesary .

Futhermore, he says, It is no coincidence that virtually all plant foods, in their natural, unrefined state, contain fiber. Mother Nature has pre-packaged the “antidote” with the "poison . Processed foods remove fiber for palatability and profit.

Dr. Zoe Harcombe says that fiber is a subset of carbohydrate and she describes carbohydrate as a non-essential nutrient.

The lower limit of dietary carbohydrate compatible with life apprently is zero, provided that adequate protein and fat are consumed.

(Consensus is Politics) #6

^^^^THIS^^^^

Keto Vitae!

Are you trying to eat for fat just because of numbers you read or are you still hungry? The more fat you eat the less weight you will lose. Don’t just eat fat for the sake of hitting macros goals. If you’re not hungry, don’t eat.

(Brian) #8

I agree with Kris86, I wouldn’t eat more fat just to hit a macro. And I generally don’t go out of my way to add fat to stuff. But I do eat fatty foods and I don’t skimp on the real butter.

Avocados are good. If they were cheaper, I’d probably have them more often but they tend to be a little pricey here. Fresh homemade guacamole is good eats. :slight_smile:

Just eating real food… when you buy hamburger, get fattier grinds. When you get steak or roast, get ones that have plenty of fat on them (and eat the fat. I use the sous vide a lot and the fat nearly melts… so good.) When you get chicken, get the dark meat, thighs are usually cheap. Fish like salmon is usually pretty fatty. And when you’re making things like meats or veggies, you can always add extra butter. (Browned or burned butter is quite tasty on a lot of different meats and veggies.)

I tend to ignore fiber. I get some with the veggies I eat but have no worries about it whatsoever. I do take some magnesium citrate in the evenings before bed and don’t notice things being “loose”. But I’ve not had any issue with the other extreme either. Small fiber intake usually means small “output” but it’s not difficult when it comes.

FWIW…

(Allie) #9

We get two types, green skinned which I avoid, and black skinned.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #10

I don’t think protein is an issue, I am eating about the same as you are and I weigh 165 lbs. So I am eating about 1.5x the protein that a macro calculator says that I should and I still am loosing weight. Lots of controversy around protein amounts and delirious effects from too much. Eat till you’re satisfied, keep carbs under 20 net and don’t stress about adding extra fat. If you want fat put some butter on your vegetables. Eat some bacon and relax!:bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::bacon::cowboy_hat_face:

(Miro) #11

Take a look at macadamia nuts and wallnuts and pecans.

Some simple sprinkle of some of them raises fat considerably vs protein increase.

(George) #12

Do they stay green?

I buy mine green from the market and leave them out for a 2 or 3 days to ripen/turn black.

(Allie) #13

Yes they stay green and have softer skins than the black ones.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #14

There are dozens of different avocado varieties depending on where you live. The thick bumpy skinned black ones are haas from Guatemala, Fuertes are Mexican/Caribbean hybrids and like Alie describes. Those are the most common. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Jacqui) #15

Wow, thank you everyone for the advice. I will try to relax more and just eat until satiated. Interesting about the fibre and protein amounts. I don’t think I need worry then.

Avocado and macadamia nuts are on the shopping list. I’ve been taking magnesium citrate too, I have powder and put it in a pint of water in the evening. I drink water during the day, but the pint helps to make sure I’m drinking enough. I have been enjoying double cream in my coffee, and have also tried bullet proof coffee just with butter. I have some coconut oil now so will try it with that too.

Thank you again all!

(Miro) #16

Sesame seed oil,. Avocado oil, coconut oil, nuts, avocado oil, make ur own Avocado mayo with oil, ghee butter.

I also make bone broth to add as gravy to stuff to add a bit more fat to food. I rotate meats around like ground pork, salmon, chicken thighs. I save all the fat from cooking meats and add it to the top of foods as well.

It took me about 3-4 weeks to work out a system to add fats more easily to food without it looking like a soup on the bottom of the plate.

It takes time.

(Ethan) #17

Shortest, best answer:

Don’t worry about these things.
You don’t need fiber.
Keep carbs as low as possible.
Eat enough protein.
Don’t worry about too much protein until you have a reason (e.g., if you feel different with more vs. less)
Eat fat.
If hungry, eat.
If not hungry, don’t eat.

(Jacqui) #18

Thank you @MiroBeero and @EZB, I take all that on board.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #19

Excess protein WILL up your blood glucose. But what that daily amt is, is entirely up to your own personal body.

This whole Keto woe is so personal. What macro ratio that works for one person, will not be the best for another person. What I suggest at first is food journal yourself, ad nauseum. Track the amt youre eating, what youre eating, grams of fat, protein and calories per meal, per day. This isnt a permanent thing. But its a great way to show you what works best for YOU. Once you learn this, it becomes automatic. But at first, I find it worth doing.

(Chris) #20

What’s your advice on length of time? Like I’m sitting at 120g of protein 120g of fat and 20g net carb. It makes my rations 30% protein, 60% fat, 10% carbs. I feel decently well but not great great and I’m losing weight. Some macro calculator tells me less protein. Some say more. How long do I stick to a macro to let it effect me the change? Week? Month?