How often do you have a "cheat" meal?

(Omar) #42

Why do not you have a party and invite us :joy:

(Bansaw) #43

@Allie - I’m not really wanting junk food, but maybe having a baked potato once every few weeks. Or an orange/apple now and again. Maybe a rice dish.
I am contemplating Intermittant fasting and I think that will help me have a treat now and again. (I’m not using cheat but “treat” now as one poster said above!)

(Allie) #44

I don’t see a problem with that if you’re adapted as you’ll have the metabolic flexibility to make it work, as long as doing so wouldn’t trigger any problems for you. There’s no rule to say you have to be 100% keto all the time, part of this lifestyle is making it work for you and your body.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #45

An alcoholic is not pursuing metabolic flexibility. I am not fighting an addiction. Others may need purity to achieve a healthier relationship with food. I find perfection a goal beyond my desire.

I’ve lost nearly 22% of my bodyweight since January.

(Bill Pletke) #46

Never on purpose

(Candy Lind) #47

Is that really what you miss? I don’t even think about them any more. I wouldn’t base a “cheat day” on them (NOT judging here, just saying).

I haven’t eaten non-keto in 18 months. There are great replacements for nearly anything, & the longer it’s been since I ate a certain “carbage,” the less I miss it.

I think I could go 2 months, maybe 3!

(Ken) #48

There is no virtue in fanaticism, especially when it involves Denial of Science and Evolution. With the people I’ve advised, at about the two month period when adaptation is fairly complete. I introduce periodic carbs for metabolic purposes. The two month period also appears to coincide with increasing fanaticism, as people have real results, and understand they’ve been lied to all their lives. Their ill health and fat gain was unnecessary.

Eating some carbs one or two times per week can keep you metabolically healthy and prevent stalls. Mankind evolved eating periodic carbs. Enjoy your life, you can live a little on the Weekends. There’s no need to flagellate yourself with nutrition.

Since I’m going to brunch tomorrow and may have dessert, no carbs yet this Weekend. I’ll probably end up skipping the carbs and have my usual Prime Rib, sausages, and BACON. I always get the fat that others have had the Carver trim off their pieces. The looks people give me are priceless when they load up my plate with it.

(Running from stupidity) #49

I was with that until I got to the “Drew Carey” bit…

(Bansaw) #50

@CandyLindTX The thing I miss the most I think is actually fresh bread. And fruit. I know I can have a handful of blueberries, but just getting my chops around a juicy orange would be nice. Maybe when my carb count goes down on when I start my I.F. I can calculate fruit in the equation infrequently.

(Brian) #51

Something I’ve noticed a couple of times now…

I’ve been in various places where most of the group was having ice cream, maybe at the end of a meal. And they ALWAYS seem to want me to have at least a little. Last time that happened, I had one spoonful, it was probably about a tablespoon (actual measure, not peanut butter jar measure). And it was good. It was very sweet. And after that one tablespoon, I was completely satisfied an didn’t want any more. It pleases me that things have turned out like that. What was at one time a huge temptation, not so much anymore.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #52

For many things, sure.
Artisanal bread? No. Fathead, Carlshead, whoever’s Head dough does not compare with levain breads.

(Ashley) #53

I agree with this, I did well for the first 4 months and then cheat meals turned into cheat weeks but now I’m back on track. Once I can handle cheats I will but it’s definetly key to not let it get to weeks of cheats.

(Allie) #54

This may sound odd but I live in my own little world and don’t watch TV (except things I seek out purposefully online) so actually have no idea what you mean… :joy:

(Running from stupidity) #55

Same here, as a rule. We have no FTA or cable TV here (in that it’s available, but we don’t even have an antenna hooked up). But he hosted a terrible American rip-off of an excellent UK comedy show that my wife watched many years ago :wink:

(Allie) #56

Sounds like something I’m doing well to miss out on :joy:

(Running from stupidity) #57

Very much so :slight_smile:

(Diane) #58

I agree completely. There are no substitutes for great bread/ bagels. But at about 5 months in, I discovered I wasn’t missing them or craving them them way I had up until that point.

I’ll probably keep trying to come up with a reasonably acceptable substitute, but I haven’t found one yet.

I have yet to cheat. Too scared. I’ve had too many nuts twice, and both times it made me hungry.

Oh and once I put a cheeto in my mouth by accident. I was able to spit that puppy out.

(Running from stupidity) #60

Same. I’m a million times better at abstention than moderation.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #61

I’m just going to make breads for holidays, have a few pieces over a few days, and give the rest away.