How many of you watch calories?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #41

I ate 2000 today, up from 1300. Let’s see what happens!!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #42

I keep carbs under tight control. I eat protein to a minimum. I let the protein and the fat signal satiety. This tends to work to a caloric deficit. I dunno that I’m watching calories more closely than it’s something that MFP tracks and scolds you about.

I don’t eat frequently and let my insulin stay low. That seems to be what it takes for my body to get to its “ideal weight”
Every single day I eat until I am “Thanksgiving day” full. This is one of the main reasons why this lifestyle is sustainable for me. I LOVE BEING FULL, and I get to do it every day.

Counting stuff does my head in. I do it all day at work. Not going to waste the rest of my life on it too.
So I just avoid carbs.
The satiety thing doesn’t really work for me, so I tend to go by hunger, and know immediately when I didn’t get enough fat to stop the ravening.
So then I eat more.

I am still seriously obese, but would rather be obese than gnawing my own arm off, while my stomach eats my spine. But hey, each to their own. I just find food stats mind numbingly boring. And kind of OCD.

(Allie) #45

I don’t.

(Melis Jansen ) #46

I don’t count calories or carbs. I usually do one or two meals a day. I walk a lot and I work out at the gym with heavy weights. I started keto last January at around 230 pounds, now I am 195 and have developed some nice looking muscles.

My highest weight was around 265 in 2016. Before I did keto I was doing intermittent fasting and a lot of walking. I was still eating sugar and lots of junk. When I started Keto nothing really happened for the first month or so and then that next month I started seeing some very dramatic results.

(Lindsey) #47

My calories are never over 2000 but the app tells me I should be on 1400, I only eat OMAD through the week (eat more on weekends), but I can easily go over that in one keto meal, I don’t see how anyone can keep it low when adding in butter, cream etc. I also fast two days a week, but I’m still not losing weight.

Seems most people on here ignore calories which is good to know, I won’t stress when it goes over what the app recommends then. Definitely want to phase out the app when I can, but not losing means I’m too wary atm.

(Pete A) #48

I am Keto for a year and in “maintenance” since April, and every day I log and count up to 2000 calories, along with keeping gross carbs under 20, and 70% fat. This methodology works for me, and always with wiggle room! :grinning:

Absolutely, I count calories. If you consume too many, you won’t lose weight.
How many is too many…well, that’s up to you :grin:

What are your stats? Weight height exercise etc?
Unfortunately, no matter which way of eating you follow, if you want to lose weight, you have to consume less calories than you burn. There is no magic diet that makes you lose weight when you eat more.

(Lindsey) #51

It’s not really about that, I was just curious what everyone else was doing since some people militantly track and some people militantly don’t. :slightly_smiling_face:

Carbs, meal frequency and how much bacon I have in the fridge is all I think about.

(TJ Borden) #53

That one is important. I had to buy some today because I ran out of my last batch while the current batch is curing.

(Running from stupidity) #54

I buy mine in 2.5kg packs. Makes life easier :slight_smile:

I’ve run out of bacon … Have to stop by the store on the way home

(Wendy) #56

I have to disagree. Though it’s not magic. I’m convinced weightloss is hormone controlled. But that’s just me and Gary Taubes speaking. :laughing:

(Running from stupidity) #57

No, plenty of others who work this stuff through are also saying it :slight_smile:

(Lindsey) #58

That was my impression as well…

(Allie) #59

Mine too.
CICO is inaccurate and outdated.

I disagree with you all.

I do of course, accept that due to hormones, natural metabolism etc, some of us will burn calories…lose weight…whatever you want to call it, faster than some others. However, if you take ANY one of those people in isolation, and increase their calorific intake, they WILL NOT lose weight as fast and, if the threshold is met, they will put on weight.

There are an extremely minute amount of people who have a medical condition, which means the above may not be true for them.

I will say it again, the keto WOE is not magic. If you eat too much compared to your activity, you will put on weight.