How many of you watch calories?

(Hermie) #181

Correction- I had high “calories” one day, without meeting any of the limits for carbs, fats, or proteins.

(LJ Christensen ) #182

I sorta do and sorta don’t. The days I do, I try to stay below 1400-1500 calories a day for weight loss, but sometimes counting calories just isn’t possible in every situation unless you keep a weight around or know exactly what restaurants put in your food. I used to only eat 1200 calories a day thinking I would lose weight, but that didn’t function for me. Instead, I try to be mindful of what I eat. If I’ve been tracking my food half the day, but then decide to go out to eat with a friend, I’ll just be mindful of what I order and how many calories “I have left”. Honestly, counting calories are more important if your trying to lose weight, but even so it can be tricky depending on how your body functions. Everyone is different. Eating too many calories one day in your diet won’t ruin it if you get back on track afterwards. Generally, eating the right fats will keep you full for longer than carbs will. If your still hungry after eating, you haven’t eaten enough and you should eat more. Just listen to your body and what it needs.

(Running from stupidity) #183

Keto is more a hormone control diet than a calorie control one. The worst thing you can do is to slow down your BMR.

(Wendy) #184

This is something I just read from Dr Boswell.
The number in this equation that changes the most is your metabolism, the BMR. Eat 700 calories a day for 3 weeks, you will cut metabolism (BMR) by almost half. Then increase your calories from 700 to 1800 and it will increase by 50%. Get cancer and you can triple your metabolism in weeks of cancer growth. Exercise accounts for only 5 percent of the game! Exercise never produces as much weight loss as we calculate. This is a fact. Proven again and again. Why? Because the human body is NOT a stable formula. We can only calculate the equation for today. But in a week, it will change. Living means adapting. We survive changes in our world because we keep up. Mammals are great at this! Our bodies work to keep things stable. If something in your energy formula changes, another area will shift to compensate. This is called homeostasis. Our system as a whole strives to remain stable. Not surprisingly, if we increase our daily exercise, we eat more. All the discipline in the world won’t stop us from consuming more calories. Period. Several studies have proven and validate this repeatedly.
She had a lot more to say about this in this chapter of Anyway You Can.
I really don’t think counting or controlling calories is a long term solution for weight loss.

(Amy Ramadan) #185

Love this!! Thanks for sharing!! :hibiscus:

(Empress of the Unexpected) #186

I go from 1200 to 1800 the next day. Not a problem yet. My body just seems to adapt. I just eat when I am hungry. It varies day to day.

(Pat) #187

When you say you eat a “pretty good amount of fat” how much is that? I love fat and I’m always worried I am going to overdo that part of keto life.

(Wendy) #188

Well as I’m one of those people who doesn’t count my macros I couldn’t tell you.
Yesterday I had about a half a sick of butter with some crab I ate. I had about 4 oz of cream cheese. I had a large chicken thigh with skin and a few ( maybe 8) pecans.
But it varies day by day. I was hungry at dinner time so I ate more than other days. Plus I love crab and don’t get to eat it very often! (Oh, I also had some chicken liver maybe 3 oz. Cooked in about a tablespoon of butter. Brecause I was still hungry shortly after eating the crab. )

(Pat) #189

That’s interesting. I just looked up a stick of butter and it’s 4 ounces, I thought I might be eating too much butter. When I have scrambled eggs I make them with pure cream and a knob of butter. Then when it’s cooked I put about half a tablespoon on top so in all I have about a tablespoon of butter. I think I shouldn’t be afraid to eat too much fat.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #190

I’m sorry; you switched languages there, and I don’t understand. Could you translate please? :grin: :grin: :grin:

(Troy) #191

Some added info from a recent post on Diet Doctor

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/calories

(Jake Burns) #193

I dont count calories at all. The only math I do is net carbs. I’m eating a lot on instinct.

(The amazing autoimmune 🦄) #194

I am entirely new to Keto but I try not to look at the calories, and just track carbs at this point.

(Brian) #195

Yup, if I’m gonna count anything, it’ll be carbs. Next would be protein. Beyond that, I have almost no interest. And since I eat pretty much the same group of food, varied but consistent, the carb, protein and fat numbers don’t keep changing. A cup of broccoli and a fillet of salmon is pretty much the same macros as it was six months ago, five months ago, four months ago, ettc.

How many calories? Don’t have a clue. Don’t care in the least.

(Kierron Campbell ) #196

Reason why I completely ignore calories on keto
The gym body breaks down fat and protein differently then sugar and carbs .

(Michelle isaacson) #197

Love this thread! I like to remind myself to “Trust the process.” I trust my taking a pill :pill: to treat an infection. I trust the science there and Here for Keto.

I don’t count a single calorie. I only count carbs! Under 20 and eat my fat and protein.

And a surprise 23# (10.5kg) down in 2 months.

It almost seemed too easy!
KCKO

(Erica) #198

This is a really interesting thought, and makes me feel better about the fact that I have been sitting here stressing about a 200 calorie surplus according to my app. When in fact, what I personally care about is my carbs, which were only 10 for the day! Yet I am letting an app make me feel like I failed…But I think you’re right. Somehow it is so hard to get past the calorie thing though. ugh.

(Erica) #199

After reading these comments, I am tempted to turn off the calorie counter on my macros app. YET…somehow that seems impossibly scary, even though I am not trying to lose weight!! “CALORIES IN CALORIES OUT” has been hammered into us all for years. It’s so hard to let go of!!

(Running from stupidity) #200

I leave mine on because it motivates me to eat enough on days when the depression tells me I don’t want to eat. #edgecase

(Thurston ) #201

I really don’t understand the issue here. If someone is tracking calories and it’s working for them and they’re attaining their goals kudos to them. Likewise if you don’t.

Why does everyone have to find fault with the way others do things?

I personally tracked calories religiously for the first 5-6 months. I had goals and hit them and lost weight. Now, the past few months I haven’t been tracking calories as diligently and I’ve plateaued.
Not gaining either, so I can see both sides of the equation. However, I feel I need to track to lose weight and I’m strictly speaking for myself here.