How is EF different from Cambridge Diet? (Heart Question)

(Auden) #1

Hi! I swear I am not a troll.

I am pro-fasting. Just to clarify. I am in the research phase. Does anyone remember the Cambridge Diet? Basically people drank shakes in the 1980s. Calories were 500-ish. People would sometimes have heart attacks and die from the diet.

Can someone please explain how fasting is different? My understanding with the Cambridge Diet is the problem was the high protein/low fat and being in ketosis. But shouldn’t that situation have been okay because the body can burn its own fat stores?

(Auden) #2

I guess, as a follow on question, why are bariatric patients not having heart attacks? It’s my understanding that while they are healing they eat 300-600 calories a day for about 2 months?

(Rob) #3

Not a complete answer but 3 million people took the Cambridge diet in it’s killing form (powder and milk equivalent) and 50+ died of complications. Very few if any were under medical supervision, many were likely desperate and metabolically challenged, needing little to tip them over the edge due to one physiological weakness or another. Bariatric patients are medically supervised, fully tested for issues before the process etc. CD takers often did this for many weeks at a time while most EF is <5 days.

Remember keto EF should only really happen after being fat adapted when the body’s reaction to it is very different and far less stressful than mere calorie restriction. It is not a front-line strategy nor is it focused on weightloss but a follow up approach to reduce insulin resistant set point and invoke autophagy. Keto EF is also typically properly supplemented, especially if it goes beyond a few days, primarily in the electrolytes area or else you do risk catastrophic heart complications etc., especially if you have a weakened heart.

Isn’t it strange how not eating at all can be so much safer than consuming some highly processed chemicals? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Bunny) #4

RE: Cambridge Diet 1980’s (even low fat will do this)

Just DON’T ADD SUGAR (esp. highly refined; bleached or HFCS) or higher carbs (until fully keto adapted) to a HIGH FAT or LOW FAT diet and everything will be fine!

A HIGH glucose/sugar diet calcifies all the internal organs when combined with fat (or higher fat intake) and time!

References:

1. Arterial calcification in diabetes

2. Fasting Glucose, Obesity, and Coronary Artery Calcification in Community-Based People Without Diabetes

3. Fasting plasma glucose levels and coronary artery calcification in subjects with impaired fasting glucose

4. Impaired Fasting Glucose and Diabetes as Predictors for Radial Artery Calcification in End Stage Renal Disease Patients

5. Relationship between the triglyceride glucose index and coronary artery calcication in Korean adults

6. Association of impaired fasting glucose and coronary artery calcification as a marker of subclinical atherosclerosis in a population-based cohort—results of the Heinz Nixdorf Recall Study

7. Increased risk for development of coronary artery calcification in insulin-resistant subjects who developed diabetes: 4-year longitudinal study

8. Triglyceride glucose index predicts coronary artery calcification better than other indices of insulin resistance in Korean adults: the Kangbuk Samsung Health Study

Personal Note:
Ketosis is historically a fasting homeostatic state to begin with, never could understand (unless for terminal medical reasons6, 8) how logically (extensive and critical examination of the research) any one would want to do EF (looks dangerous if already living a ketogenic lifestyle?) vs. IF (what I do) fasting on top of that? EF is great if you are a mild sugar burner and high carber?

References:

1. Intermittent fasting promotes adipose thermogenesis and metabolic homeostasis via VEGF-mediated alternative activation of macrophage

2. Hepatic adaptations to maintain metabolic homeostasis in response to fasting and refeeding in mice

3. Section 30.3 Food Intake and Starvation Induce Metabolic Changes

4. Fasted State and Glucagon

5. Energy metabolism in feasting and fasting.

6. Are There Different Types of Ketosis?

7. Types of Ketogenic Diets (SKD, TKD & CKD) and the KetoDiet Approach

8. High-Fat Ketogenic Diet is a Great Hope For Terminal Cancer Patients

Bob Harper's Heart Attack
(Auden) #5

Thank you for your reply! This makes a lot of sense to me. And thank you for pointing out about the set point!

(Auden) #6

A little technical for me, but hopefully as I learn more, I will understand! Thanks!