Bob Harper's Heart Attack

(Bunny) #34

Bob Harper Says the #1 Key to Weight Loss Isn’t Diet or Exercise — It’s This “…“What you’re doing is you’re getting your body to burn fat for fuel, so that means you have to eliminate any other natural fuel source like carbohydrates and make sure you’re not eating any of those things, because once you do, you’re throwing your body back into burning those carbs, and then all the fat you’re consuming, your body will store the fat.”…” “…I really [recommend] going more for a balance, and not for an extreme," he said…”

Now hold that thought? …and watch these videos:

Always Hungry with Dr. David Ludwig

…and here

When I hear the word “Paleo” it makes me cringe!

What does this have to do with Paleo?

(Bunny) #36

Paleo is not keto! (protocols are different)

(Bunny) #37

I wonder what the actual diagnosis was? Some are born with hereditary congenital heart deficits which can become comorbid?

No, paleo is not necessarily keto. That’s why it makes you cringe - because it’s not keto?

(Bunny) #39

No, not just “keto” too many carbohydrates converting into sugar\glucose and we all know what happens (arterial and organ calcification) when you mix that with high fat or low fat intake!

References:

1. Vitamin K and Diabetes
    “…If there is excess fat, vitamin K may not be readily available to cells that require it to process glucose…”
  1. How is EF different from Cambridge Diet? (Heart Question)

Right, but what does that have to do with paleo?

(Bunny) #41

I am guessing what ever perceptions or connotations of what exactly is a “paleo diet?” (there is no such thing as a paleo era, scientifically speaking of course)

I do eat similar to the so called Paleo diet (no general differences other than more organs meats) when eating higher carbs as I switch in monthly intervals from Ketosis to Sugar Burner or glucose tolerance factor GTF as a long-term experiment.

When you eat the natural sugar and/or additional carbs and how long you do this, is the deciding factor, not dietary definitions!

(Candy Lind) #42

Anyone familiar with Trim Healthy Mama? Those ladies have built an empire on the premise that high fat & high carbs shouldn’t be eaten at the same time. I haven’t read enough to know how their plan came to be, but that’s what it looked like to me. At least their minions are off sugar & grain.

It sucks this guy had a heart attack, I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. It’s great that he survived and is around to live another day. It’s only natural that he’d blame his heart attack on his diet. Pretty much everyone who’s ever had a heart attack blames their diet, but sometimes it has nothing to do with that. Heart attacks can also be caused by inherited family traits, maybe he is/was a smoker, had bad oral hygiene, and so on… Perhaps it was a combination of everything that led to his heart attack? …who knows?

(Carolus Holman) #44

I linked an article. I really wonder what kind of abuse he did previously to himself.

While family history is huge, I think it is family history of responses to inflammation or to a particular inflammatory diet.

I have been listening to the first episode of the Skinny on Fat. It starts with the history of low carb v low fat. One of the points is that before the existense of seed oils and crisco, physicians could go their entire careers without seeing a heart attack patient. The epidemic started in the 1950s when we started eating processed food and seed oils and trans fats. So there was no family history for almost anyone before 1900. Through most of time we ate a balanced meat, potato and veggie diet with bacon and eggs for breakfast rather than corn flakes. We had some desserts but it was as a treat not as a special k bar or sugared breakfast.

I cannot really evaluate this article because it gives no real details nor does it say what he was actually eating. Bob seems to be talking about keto in the abstract and not how he used it. It is not clear he used it at all

(Tessy M.) #46

My understanding: Your body can only use so much energy at once. If you’re slowing the uptake, you should be able to use more of the energy consumed because it’s being delivered at a slower pace. This is why certain diets call for slower burning carbs before a workout, so they don’t bonk during making the all the carbs usable for the duration.
As already stated: carbs can be slowed with fat also.
Not bonking can be related to general well-being/feeling in general: your after lunch crash is less of a crash and more of a float down if you mix fats with the carbs. (Haha don’t have the best descriptor)
I hope this might begin to answe what you’re asking.

Great article. Sucks how many typos name it seem unprofessional and unreliable as a whole

My guess would be electrolyte issues, such as not enough potassium. Some people can get away with skimping on their micronutrients for a long time, but some people can’t, so it’s not worth the gamble. Just like how some people have water fasted for 40-60 days and lived, while some people have died in under a month while water fasting. There are numerous variables, not all of which can be predetermined. There is no solid research to suggest that a high fat, low carb diet unto itself can cause a heart attack. However, there is plenty of solid research to suggest that a depletion in electrolytes can indeed cause heart struggles and even failure. It’s all about tweaking those micronutrients and finding your sweet spot, with whatever macros work best for your body, keto or otherwise.

(TJ Borden) #49

Who? I searched when I first started reading up on fasting to find examples, but couldn’t. I could understand issues at the 60 day mark if one was so lean that they had very little body fat, but I still haven’t heard of anyone actually dying from fasting.

(Brian) #50

In a way, I can see how examples would be slim. A more probable scenario would be someone is water fasting and has a major crises at 57 day into their water fast, winding up in the ER. The ER doc says, “It’s a good thing you got here when you did because in another 3 days, you’d have been dead!”

Because someone didn’t stick to their fast to the point of death doesn’t mean they wouldn’t have died if they’d continued. It’s a little harder to quantify that.

(TJ Borden) #51

So hypothetically, but no examples or science to support it?

According to my doctor, I should be dead already just from following the ketogenic diet…at least based on his hypothetical opinion.

I did not understand your comment. I did not see many glaring typos. It is a blog not a published article. He is Canadian so spells most things the British way

I have a knack.