conversationstarters

(chris.coote) #1

Cast Iron Pan?
Baking Sheet w/ Parchment Paper?
On a wire Rack?
On a Griddle?
Cook my Bacon?

(chris.coote) #2

Back in the old days I used to cook the bacon itself on a wire rack to let the fat drip off (I did collect it for cooking, so I was at least thinking ahead…). Nowaday’s it tends to be bathing in a pool of bacon grease on parchment paper for easy collection.

Baked in the oven.

(Ben) #4

Fry in butter :heart_eyes:

(Jacquie) #5

I’ll bake a pound in the oven to have on hand. If I’m having bacon and eggs, I’ll cook it all in butter. :slight_smile:

(AnnaLeeThal) #6

I have deep fried it in lard the last two times.

(matt ) #7

We usually just cook it in a pan on the stove and then save the fat in a ramekin on the counter to pour over leaner meats…

Bacon pan with the ridges that help keep the bacon from curling. I also start it off with some saved bacon drippings and slow fry in the oil.

(Bart) #9

I fry it in a pan on low heat. Takes a bit longer but cuts down on the mess and seems to hold on to more of the fat, I am not the biggest fan of crispy bacon.

(I want abs... olutely all the bacon) #10

I do all of these depending on what I’m doing with the bacon and how much time I have. Lately I’ve been cooking large batches (5-10 lbs) in the oven to 2/3 done, and then freezing in portions for quick cooking and cooking at work.

375F oven, on commercial sized cookie sheet, between two sheets of parchment with a second cookie sheet on top. This eliminates splatter, makes for easy cleanup and keeps the bacon from curling so it’s evenly cooked.

(migorstmarseille) #12

Baked on parchment paper in the oven at 400 for 20 minutes. I either save the grease in my bacon grease container, which goes in the freezer, or I put it in a pan and cook over-easy eggs for my wife and scrambled eggs or an omelette for myself.

If you like bacon, try smoked jowl. I’ve been using that a lot lately. It’s the candy of pork. It’s cheap, too.

I think trying some of this is in my future.

(I like to post memes!) #14

This weekend, I folded each piece of bacon in half and had some lovely strong bacon chips for dipping or topping.

(Crow T. Robot) #15

I saw this for the first time in my local supermarket about a week ago and I love it. It was like less than $3 for a whole pound and it tastes fantastic. The only “drawback” is that you have to slice it yourself, but I prefer that cos I can control the thickness.

(Fernando Aramburo) #16

Cooked in the oven at 325 (low temperature at attempt to minimize the denaturing of the fat and proteins which happens at higher temperatures) in cookie pans covered in aluminum foil for about 40 minutes. If you like to collect the grease, you simply pour into your favorite container, then throw away the foil making for a super fast cleanup.

The first time you use this method, I would check the doneness of your bacon starting at 35 minutes every 5 minutes until you get to your ideal “crispness.” The more crispy you like it, the more damaged are the fats and proteins, but damn, its soo good!

This by the way, after you get the timing down to your version of perfection, is so easy and repeatable, you set it and forget it. Once you get it down, you’ll never go back to the mess of pan frying!

(Guardian of the bacon) #17

Should make this a poll question.

(Mark) #18

I normally cook my Bacon with a great big smile

(Stephanie Hanson) #19

Baked on a rack in the oven. Collect the grease for later use.

@Chris_W and @migorstmarseille

Thought I should share this link, since you mentioned pork jowls…I made this a couple of days ago:

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/matchstick-bacon-an-alternative-for-purse-bacon/5467