How do you cook liver the keto way?

(Clare) #41

Flash fry it in butter and have it on a salad. mmmmm.

(Todd Allen) #42

The carb content of liver is going to be variable depending on how recently fed the animal was prior to slaughter. And youā€™ll see that reflected in varying nutritional data from different sources. The data Iā€™m using shows roughly 6 grams of carbs in a 4 oz serving of beef liver. Which also has about 33 grams of protein and excellent vitamin and mineral content. I find liver in all varieties a good addition to my diet and well worth the carbs for a moderate portion but I wouldnā€™t try to make it my sole source of protein for the day.

However, Iā€™ve got a more liberal carb budget than many here and I count net carbs not total carbs. For someone wanting to be really strict on carbs they might exclude or restrict liver to a very small portion.

(Norma Laming) #43

I agree. My mother used to coat liver in a little flour, for a crisp coating, but itā€™s fine without. Slice thinly and fry in butter or ghee

(Mel Soule) #44

Pork rind ground down to a nuggety powder and Trader Joeā€™s organic coconut chips (unsweetened) ground down to a powder mixed in equal volumes makes a wonderful breading and BTW almond flour sub for fat head pizza. But an especially good breading. I have used plain pork rinds and recently bbq flavored to give it a little pop with lard fried chicken. IMHO fried pork rinds is the new flour for keto nirvana.

(Mary federico) #45

what is bacon nectar???

(Candy Lind) #46

This sounds great! I think Iā€™ll try @Fiorellaā€™s onion/celery/fennel side with this. :grin:

(Vladaar Malane) #47

Iā€™m intrigued never tried liver before. They say the organs are a forgotten part of animals and most healthy for people to eat. Does it taste close to steak or ā€˜like chickenā€™ as they say everything tastes like chicken? LoL.

I got a local farm around me that sells grassfed beef liver for $1.99 per pound. Thatā€™s loads cheaper than the ground beef or steak. Ground Beef that is grass fed is $6 a pound.

I soak the liver in milk first, it removes some of the bitterness. I donā€™t do any coating on the liver.
Then I cook up a butt load of bacon, with onions and mushrooms. I would use the cast iron skillet, but itā€™s not really big enough so I usually use an over-sized electric skillet.
You can season with ordinary black pepper or alternatively some paprika based seasoned salt.
When the bacon goop looks pretty good, and there is a fair amount of grease, I sear the liver on each side. For the love of Zeus, donā€™t overcook it! Eat it while itā€™s hot.

Sous vide 54DegC 45mins followed by quick toss in supper hot bacon fat or ghee for the outer crust ā€¦

(Allen Heishman) #50

What is the texture like after sous vide?

(Bunny) #52

Wrap in bacon mmmm!

(Tubeman) #53

I still have a bunch of fat that I was planning to make another confit withā€¦ might try the liver that way.

Once the weather gets nicer, Iā€™d like to try smoking one tooā€¦

Hey you could do those kabobs alternating bacon-wrapped chicken livers and bacon wrapped mushrooms! And bacon - wrapped scallops!

Just a warning re: raw liver. I remember seeing a post (on here? or maybe on Markā€™s Daily Apple?) of someone who was super careful with all the guidelines in eating raw (frozen) liver and did it for years but then one day got sick from it - really sick, took months for her gut to recover. Something in that particular batch of liver? I donā€™t know whether it was a bacteria or a parasite but it sounded miserable.
I had been interested in eating liver this way, and reading her post was sobering and I wonā€™t try it now.

(Garry (Canada)) #56

Iā€™m going out to find some calves liver today.
I havenā€™t eaten it in probably 10 years as Iā€™m not the biggest fan, but strangely enoughā€¦ I have a craving for it. :nerd_face::gun:??
The challenge will be whether I can get the wife to enjoy it tooā€¦

my favorite liver is Moose, always cuts with a fork, just fired in butter or bacon grease.

(Ken) #58

Try making Pate. Itā€™s delicious, and when kept in a dish and covered with a layer of butter it keeps a couple of weeks. That way you can make several batches at a time. Or freeze it. Julia Child to the rescue again! I use those crocks that cheese comes in, with the metal bail and rubber ring seal

(Casey Crisler) #59

Based on what Iā€™ve heard from the dudes and Nina T, Iā€™m going to try eating liver. I bought some individually wrapped frozen ones Saturday. But I feel, well, scared. Almost like Iā€™m ready to jump out of a plane to skydive for the first time. The one other time I had beef liver it made me nauseous. I was younger and immature which may have contributed. But I have to force myself to eat it for the health benefits. Like sardines. There are some good recipes here to try. No way am I eating it raw though. I do like chicken liver though.

Should it not work out, I will do the whole grind and mix with ground beef method.

(bulkbiker) #60

If you can try some chicken liversā€¦ delicious or lambs liver which has a less strong flavour. I had a pigs kidney yesterday but maybe should have rinsed it a bit better. Was pretty tasty though pan fried in butter with lots of salt and pepper but still had a wee aftertaste.

I tried to mix liver in with ground beef. I could definitely taste it. Maybe I should have used 1/2 the liver. I dunno. I really want to try it alone and tolerate itā€¦but I am a little hesitant after the ground beef. I also tried sardines. My bf asked if I was eating catfood. Indeed I wasā€¦sardines are nasty. The cat enjoyed them tho :slight_smile: