How do you cook liver the keto way?

Where do you usually find chicken livers? Maybe I can try those

(Katie) #63

A lot of people substitute crushed pork rines for breading flour.

I do not bread liver–I have it in bite-sized pieces and microwave it or poach it. If that is too strong of a flavor for you try mixing it with a blander meat, like chicken.

(bulkbiker) #64

I buy them in the supermarket (UK) or from my local butcher… Anyone that takes chickens apart (rather than just selling packs) should source them.

(Casey Crisler) #65

I could probably tolerate it mixed with hamburger. But you’re right about sardines. I have to smother them in mustard and practically swallow them whole. But they’re so healthy. Yeah, I’m sure the cat was in food heaven.
Liver and other organ meat is also too healthy to pass up. But one step at a time.

(Bob M) #66

I’ve been cooking and eating beef liver. I get mine locally, frozen. I defrost and cut it in thinner pieces, and if it’s slightly frozen or at least firm, that’s good, as it’s very slippery when totally thawed. I use a serrated blade to cut. I put the slices on paper towels, I heat up a pan with duck fat or ghee (used duck fat last night), then put the side down that’s been on the paper towels. Last night, I did not blot the top of the slices with paper towels, and it worked well. I cook over medium-high heat, using a very heavy pan, cast iron or similar. I cook only for a few minutes per side at most, leaving the inside rawer. You need to under cook (overcooked liver is the source of nightmares).

I think it’s delicious, even reheated via microwave.

Surprisingly, I noticed this too. But the slight green hue freaked me out a bit. (Oxidation, normal.)

Bet way to cook liver is cook it very little, fast sear and go.

Wonder if the green is the iron from the liver reacting with moisture.

A blender and a straw. Can’t let vegans have all the fun.

(Candii) #70

Pan fry in bacon fat was always the way we made it. With some onions if you can tolerate them in your carb count. :smiley:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #71

No one seems to have answered your question about “bacon nectar.” In case you’re still wondering, it’s the grease left over from frying a bunch of bacon. It’s great to use as a cooking fat, and some of us like to drink it, hence the term “nectar.”

I put some olive oil and add onions. Let the onions a little and then add liver and some spices. No flour.