How do poor people do carnivore?

carnivore
zero-carb-carnivore

(Robin) #101

Wow, Fangs! That made my day. I love people taking care of their neighbors. Nowadays so many don’t even know their neighbors. This is so heart warming. Just simple kindness.

yea for me when I lived up North in bigger cities this community didn’t exist to the level it does when I moved South to the ‘boonies’ and found we know all the neighbors and we hit into helping cause it ‘was easy’ with people we heard of thru others if we didn’t know them, but it was personal to all of us here.

I think the more high rise, who is your neighbor? rat race times we just have to isolate more from real people cause with SO many how can one help any or all in that community? Feeling more disconnected from our community I don’t feel is a great thing…but it is out there ya know, in the bigger cities where survival is more close to home but yet out in the rural areas like mine, survival is more your neigbors to come to aid and count on others if and when you need help. More personal interaction kinda thing?

I don’t know, just some thoughts on it :sunny:

(Jane) #103

Same here - I didn’t know my neighbors when I lived in Houston.

Out here in the boonies I know them all. Why? because we are so isolated we depend on each other to help. I don’t mind asking for help since we will also pitch in on their projects. My yurt would be a “cartoon pile of rubble” as my youngest said one time w/o my neighbors. On Monday my husband will be going to a neighbors to screed out the concrete he is having poured for a new pad.

A few years ago a tornado tore through a small town to the north of us (we weren’t living here yet but owned the property). They didn’t wait on FEMA to show up. They posted two lists in the high school gymnasium. One list was “Those who Need Help” and the other was “Those Who Can Help”. People took in families until their homes could be rebuilt, donated their time and skills. Made my heart soar.

THAT IS what it is all about.

Houston. Thriving and big and opportunity but so many left by the wayside just thru no personal interaction.

Smaller areas, we gossip about each other…we know ‘Joey bought a new tractor’ or ‘Suzie is having boyfriend troubles’ or more but not saying all, how big your community area becomes thru population increases takes alot of that way, but if smaller, like me and you, WE KNOW and hear ya know and if someone takes actions we do thrive.

If 2-3-4 families thrive near each other thru help then that goes a tad further to the next 2-3-4 familites that help and it spreads.

My DD is like thinking global all the time and I keep saying, I learned if one helps the local community wtih ‘stuff that is not huge on the global issue timeframe of crazy’ and just help someone you know, for something small…did you succeed? Darn right you did in giving to others.

I think when we ‘went global’ on issues it went out of whack and massive cities are massively out of whack too but I don’t know personally what changes it all but if one is close to home and does their part and helped when needed by others, darn something is going right :slight_smile:

Loved your post!

I love they hit that community who needs help before relying on some govt issue to come help…local people taking care of local neighbors is the best! Makes my heart soar hearing of your experiences also!

(Jane) #105

I gotta another story. We bought this property 16 years ago with the intention of building our retirement home here. We put up a yurt and camped out in it a couple of time a year in pretty rugged conditions until I got it insulated, then water to it then HOT water to it.

When we drilled our water well we needed an insulated shed to put the pressure tank in. I sketched up a simple plan, ordered the materials to be delivered and my neighbor came over to oversee the concrete pad pour so it was ready when we got here. My brother came with me and my husband to help build it so I assumed it would be the 3 of us. I thought we could knock it out in 2-1/2 days.

The first morning I heard someone driving onto our property (no gravel road back then - just a dirt trail). I looked up and there were 3 trucks. Turns out my 3 neighbors had come with all their tools (much better quality than ours) to help! I had only known them a couple of years and then only saw them a few times a year. One of my neighbors was a building contractor so he corrected the mistakes in my sketch and we ended up with a fine shed! And finished in a day.

(Robin) #106

Oh man, this is just so fantastic! I would have cried! Maybe we need a thread just for good news of humans being kind and generous. I could handle a dose of that every day, for sure! The most neighborly thing I do is buy books for the little 3 year old guy next door. Then I bring him over for a read. Those book stay at my house, so it’s not really so altruist. In fact, it’s selfish. My only grandkid is in Texas. And I really miss being a bookseller. So… this takes care of my all my needs in one “swell foop”! LOL

(Jane) #107

Awww… brings back memories. My kids found out early on that asking for a toy when it wasn’t their birthday or Christmas did no good, but I ALWAYS would buy books for them. Paid off.

(Jane) #108

Well, I choked up for sure. At first I thought maybe they stopped by for the entertainment value of watching their city-slicker neighbors who had little building skills put up the shed :laughing:

Until they started unpacking their saws and tools. You get better by doing and over the years we have learned through doing and making mistakes. All fun.

(Bob M) #109

Until phones came along. My oldest loved to read, and has read so many books. Since she got her phone, though, she rarely reads books.

(Robin) #110

@Janie @ctviggen Books are my refuge, my happy place. My folks always had a book in hand, so I come by it naturally.

(Robin) #111

The curse of cell phones. Don’t get me started.

(Robin) #112

Makes me think of barn raising. The true meaning of community. And honestly, this forum feels like that to me.

(Bob M) #113

My oldest is a teen, and sometimes it’s hard to get through to them. She keeps asking when she’s going to be using what she’s learning in English, which is a lot of analyzing stories. I’m sure to her it can feel useless.

But, I’m a patent attorney. All I do all day long is analyze things. Granted, there’s a bit of science, technology, and mathematics involved, but a lot of it is analysis of words. And putting to words technology.

As a teen or someone in school, you may not realize what you’re doing can have importance later.

Does it always have importance? If what you end up doing is only art-related, maybe not. But for many jobs and even situations in life, the ability to analyze the written word is a powerful tool.

(Robin) #115

It’s a double edged sword. Love my cell phone and asking Siri the answer to some obscure question. And I know our language will never be the same, it just won’t. Typos are a given and run-on sentences are no big deal. There’s nothing wrong with relaxing our grammatical rules. It has happened over the years, anyway. But there will always be a need for some form over function, especially in professions like yours. However, it’s possible that the average person may not need to “learn” a lot of grammar and sentence structure in the future. Our technology already auto-corrects for us. Heck, we don’t need to know much math these days. It’s all at our finger tips. I’d be interested to know, for instance, how much a job like architect will change to accommodate new technology. Way off topic here. Oh well… interesting to me.

Math isn’t about calculations at all. It’s logic to me… I was very good at maths so I never could count :smiley: It’s a common saying that someone good at maths can’t add and multiply, I’ve read that really good ones can’t even do integral as that’s too level :smiley: Whatever is the case, some of the best ones in the school did things like 2+2=2 and 2*2=2 at the final exam :smiley: We were good at logic, not these things…

And logic is very useful :slight_smile: And there are various kinds of logic in life, I suppose but the ones used when solving math problems (the ones where logic must be used as there are various ones…? it was so long ago solving maths problems was my hobby… I should do it again, those were nice times) felt nice and surely did good things to my brain…

I would think talking and writing properly and not extremely depending on some software for it will be important in the near future as well… :slight_smile: Autocorrect almost never helps me nowadays either (I may notice some misspelled words, that’s it) but we know that technology can do more than that… But I don’t want to think deeper now, I am sleepy and can’t afford to get sad anyway…

(Carnivore for the win) #117

I found cheap bacon ends. They are from local pigs, processed and cured locally. Normal packs of their bacon go for $12 CAD per pound. I got the bacon ends for $4.54 CAD per pound. Super filling and reasonably priced. Could be pretty happy and sustainable, eating half a pound of the bacon ends, a few eggs, and a pound of ground beef for $6 or $7 CAD per day.

(Jane) #118

:flushed:

Sorry. I am a chemical engineer and if my calculations are wrong chemical plants blow up. Be thankful engineers still believe math is about calculations. We take it very seriously. Those who don’t affect public safety can be casual about it when they only need to balance their checkbook.

(Jane) #119

It’s fine to use computers to do the complex calculations but they are only as good as the programmers and a human still needs to verify.

On one test in college I did a long engineering calculation and wrote down my answer. Then realized it was way off but had run out of time to recalculate. So I wrote a note that I knew the answer wasn’t right and estimated the correct answer.

When I got my test back the prof gave me 80% credit on a wrong answer for recognizing it was wrong and my estimate wasn’t far off. :slightly_smiling_face:

(Robin) #120

Smart. I am by no means a math person. But one of my favorite side jobs when I worked in the schools was helping 6th graders who had gotten left behind early on with math. I could almost always get them up to at least the concept of algebra. (Which is about as far as I ever got myself!) Now that I think of it, that might be a good volunteer opportunity for me. I still have connection in the school district. Hmmmm… But I bet my methods are no longer the accepted methods. Dang!

Well I am not so great at writing and I do write so much so I can’t be exact with my sentences, sadly I can’t change that even if I try.
Being exact is very important in maths but I am not a maths entity or something.

Of course calculation is an important part of maths but people usually consider maths as a subject involving JUST that. And it isn’t. We almost never calculated in maths classes in special math class. We proved the Pythagoras theorem 6 different ways, that’s what we did, it was great fun.
We don’t learn maths just to learn to count… That’s what I wanted to say. Maths never was about calculations for me as that isn’t fun and we have calculators. Some basic things are there, one learn that in primary school - and then the fun with logic begins. I was weaker with theorems, better with pure logic. We never calculated anything in maths camps either. (We had to figure out how to make surgeries between 2 patients and 2 surgents, 2x2 surgeries, 4 different infectious disease and only 2 pairs of gloves :smiley: Both hands were used of course. It was one of my favs :smiley: The other was hearing and writing down numbers on a paper, it should be clear which numbers were there but we only could use a machine with 10 keys, 0-9, no space or other special character. We were little and so happy we could do it with 3 keys too when we realized how it can be done with 10… Do it with 2, the teacher said. We went away and thought some time more… Okay, do it with 1, said the teacher… One of my best times… Of course real mathematicians must do way more boring things as well - unless if they love maths more than I did and find even those exciting… It must be if one is great and solves some old unproved theorem…)
The maths problems in competitions weren’t that super high level of fun, the camps were epic, I have some great books too… But they still were very exciting :slight_smile: I wanted to be a mathematician but I realized it’s not the best for me and went for computer science… Almost no math was needed there, at least for what I did. Maybe a little trigonometry and similar basic things for certain problems involving physics…? But logic, that was vital. Oh yeah, another misconception that programmers must be good at maths. No, I saw people good and bad at maths being good at programming. Though it’s possible the logic part is needed and the others not? But what is hard in the other parts of primary and secondary school maths? I can’t get it, I liked the subject partially due to no studying was needed except a few definitions… I can understand many things a bit foreign for me but not this one. Oh well.

So I dislike when people think maths is just numbers and calculations. It’s part of it but it’s way more than that.

TL;DR: Of course calculations are extremely important, I can’t imagine anyone not knowing bad calculations can be fatal - but mathematics is so, so, so much more than mere calculations!!! Even the very practical part of it.

And anyway, even my unfortunate sentence said nothing about calculations wouldn’t be important. It would just suggest calculations aren’t maths. They are a part, though. Just not the whole thing, far from it.

I think I effectively overexplained this.