How do poor people do carnivore?

carnivore
zero-carb-carnivore

yea I went all in with fast food burgers til the day fast food burgers were a no go…I don’t know why, they sit so BAD with me now but in a pinch, on the road thru the year a few times, yes I will go there…but ya know I prefer a ‘Denny’s’ or ‘Applebee’s’ type burger way over McDs or some fast food ick chain…well ick to my guts HA and would rather go for a more higher end resturant burger on the road now. I say NOW but back in the day starting carnivore I was all over fast food burgers and did well, almost 5 yrs in and they hold 0 interest to me personally.

So flip around all as we need and want and how our bodies to react to what foods out there. It is fine to inhale a ton of fast food burgers or flip off them when the body says nope :slight_smile:

(BuckRimfire) #82

I hadn’t thought of that combination of different parts of the cow in ground beef. Interesting.

Here (Seattle) Kroger brand 75% lean ground beef is sometimes under $2 per pound, but that’s no help if you can’t get to a giant supermarket like that cheaply. You might also check Asian or Latino grocery stores. I’ve sometimes seen lower prices in those.

(Robin) #83

I just scored some nice fatty brisket at 4.99 a pound. Bought it all. Forgot I don’t have a freezer. Oops! Good friend to the rescue.

(Tim Cee) #84

That’s news to me. Can a H. Sapiens get to a level of acclimation so as to subsist entirely on lean meats like cervid animals?

oh one isn’t going to exist well on leaner meat all the time at all, truly we must have our fats for sure but as our bodies heal we can want leaner meats on some days.

But I just think of that show Alone on tv where that lady ate like 1 snowshoe hare per day and darn if she didn’t deteriorate fast thru having no fat mostly in her menu. She just couldn’t catch fish which would have been her great add to her meal to get some good fat into her.

So your meat fat ratio is very important in carnivore for sure. But we aren’t taking a wagon train across our country or building a log cabin by hand out in the wilderness in 5 ft of snow ya know, in other words, alot of us today have more easy lives when it comes to physical survival, therefore some of us longer term carnivores, our bodies at some point with good nutrition we get on a daily basis find that we can eat and want leaner eating days. Usually newer carnivores must have that fat but I am into year 5 now and usually around year 3 or so y9ou find alot of carnivores have a tendency to want leaner eating days but absolutely have their fatty eating days.

So I kinda meant it all like that. Fat is massively important to everyone, carnivores for sure and the thing is…as you eat well your body heals and changes and if one is drawn naturally to have a few eating leaner days then it is a normal process for that individual…but we all change on our own personal timeline on carnivore.

(Bob M) #86

Personally, I think rabbit starvation is a myth. The only way to get this is to (1) eat pounds of lean meat, caused by (2) extreme amounts of exercise.

Normal people, eating normal amounts of food, will not experience this.

I eat high protein, low fat meals all the time and feel perfectly fine. Not only fine, but lean meats tend to be more satisfying than meals with more fat.

Lately, I’ve been testing higher fat or leaner lunches, and the higher fat lunches make me no more sated, yet I eat more calories. (That’s the nature of fat, it’s easier to eat more calories.)

It exists in science truth against our physical bodies for sure

but like you mentioned Ctv, I don’t think anyone now, in today’s world and current lifestyles etc. —with the food available around will we ever have to deal with this issue.

It is one of those things that ‘was back in the day’ maybe an issue like some virus like polio and such…but a vaccine handled that and with our food supply the way it is now, yea rabbit starvation is just a thing of the past mostly I would think. I sure don’t fear it HA

(Tim Cee) #88

Try a strict diet of rabbits and see. Rabbit starvation isn’t a low fat scenario. It’s a LOW fat scenario over a long period of time. Symptoms include raging hunger and diarrhea. It’s not a myth but it would be hard to do on purpose with grocery store meat. Starvation generally occurs after fat stores are depleted. So you’d have to be underweight I speculate. A fat person can subsist on lean meat until they are too skinny to live on their own fat i hypothesize. That’s the pattern that appears to hold on that “alone’.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #89

Protein poisoning is no myth. As has been discussed many times on this forum and by many different posters, proteins are primarily building blocks. Our metabolism uses the amino acids for growth, repair and replacement. Using protein as an energy source - in lieu of carbs or fat - is a losing proposition. This because it takes more energy to get the energy out of protein than the energy contained in the protein. That’s why it’s a common recommendation to increase protein intake and muscle mass to help burn onboard fat faster and more efficiently. In addition, the ultimate breakdown product of amino acids is nitrogen in the form of uric acid and there’s a limit to how much and how fast you can eliminate it. So in the absence of carbs or fat even with ample protein intake one slowly starves to death in a uric acid toxic state.

(Edith) #90

We have a pet rabbit that would probably provide us a much fat as a walrus. He is quite the tub. He certainly looks like a walrus compared to a wild rabbit. Unless we are living in the wild and truly using wild rabbits for our main source of meat, I can’t imagine rabbit starvation would ever be a problem. I bet that even rabbits sold in grocery stores are pretty fatty compared to their wild cousins.

(Tim Cee) #91

It’s interesting that the most popular domesticated meats are relatively fat. I’ve wondered if the inventors of pasturalism made a deliberate decision to domesticate cattle species with tasty fat. Cervid fat is considered unappealing because of the texture. It has a smell and a waxiness to it. Perhaps that is learned. Deer in my area can get fat but everybody trims the fat off to avoid the flavor. Sheep, cows, pigs, ducks and chickens have very pleasant fat. But perhaps this is an acquired preference?

(Bob M) #92

@VirginiaEdie I’ve always wanted to make rabbit, as they have it at I store we go to.

@Tim_Cee I still dislike pig fat, unless it’s “hidden” in pork butt, or it’s been manipulated as in bacon. I can eat the fat from Fire in a Bottle’s pigs, but he selects the breed and feed to get high saturated fat in the pig fat.

I don’t know enough about deer fat to comment.

We buy a few home-raised young rabbits every year. They have visible fat, they aren’t super lean at all . Rabbit starvation requires eating as lean meat as wild, lean rabbits :smiley: It doesn’t happen under normal circumstances. Living on chicken breast probably would work too… Just eating some leaner meat isn’t enough, our very necessery fat need is smallish. When eating lean meat on carnivore, problems from too much protein would happen first…
But most of us can’t even reach that. I for one like my fat but my body just stops wanting meat if I eat too much protein as far as I can tell. I tried to focus on protein a few times and I just couldn’t go too high, no matter if I tried to keep my fat low or not.
But rabbit starvation exists, it’s just not a real concern for normal people under not super extreme circumstances…

We will make rabbit in 2 days :wink: I think it’s the leanest meat I like. Except the breast, that’s like chicken breast, dry, ew.
Rabbit is nice, we always make a stew of it.

:scream_cat::clown_face::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

you had me cracking up on your heavy bunny!

Now if that bunny heard how you talked about him to others…judging his poor little carrot riddled body…VE if you ever get a chance, post of pic of your Bugs for us!! Now I am thinking of KetoDaisy’s little pot belly we thought she ate… :face_with_raised_eyebrow: too funny.

(Bob M) #95

This is really a relevant topic. I’m glad someone brought it up.

I’ve lived in quite a few places where the people are relatively poor (Florida; nowhere, Pennsylvania). And even someone like my mother, who lives on a fixed income, can be considered to be poor. When I think about this topic, I think about her: what could she afford to eat?

yea but poor areas also do thrive more on hunting vs. a city type bringing in bucks with no ‘bucks’ in their back 40 for meat :slight_smile:

I am rural. We donated a few hogs every year to the food banks in our area, my hubby hunts and has alot of tags so when my mail lady’s hubby got sick and couldn’t hunt she stopped and asked if my hubby could score a deer for their freezer, hubby was so happy to oblige. My best friend owns a dairy but wanted a goat for her son’s engagement party on the BBQ so I just said, pick one of my Boer goats, there is our meat…and yes, this is VERY personal stuff, but there are people everywhere who can help people afford food, food in general ya know, I am not just chatting being carnivore here at all.

BUT these are just my local issues/experiences ya know.

But communities do take care of communities but one has to be in that right one to score more meat than mac n cheese in a box in a food pantry box given out by the local churches etc. for food drives etc.

Poverty has massive issues for sure.

(Jane) #97

So true.

I used to feel good about donating food to a food pantry but 3 years ago I actually felt guilty cleaning out my pantry of all the rice, beans and pasta and donating it. But food banks do what they do and many can’t take in anything that would spoil and carbs are better than going hungry.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #98

It may soon be getting harder for all of us - not just carnivores. I can confirm that here in North Vancouver food prices have steadily increased (even at Walmart! where I buy lots) during the past several months with no end in sight.

That is it. Food is good in the body, no food and starving can’t be an option so I get you on that donation feeling you are giving less than but in full truth you are giving hope to others things can get better and change.

My daughter has that food drive at school and I buy flats of corn, green beans, taters and made sure I put in alot of flats of beans for protein and send in those for donation. But to donate meat stuffs or perishables is not allowed, so canned we go and veg being cheaper to cover more donation than meat stuff in can, I choose that route, at least that, to me, is a way forward for many.

So you are doing a good thing, never think else on that :sunny:

So agree Michael
It is going to get friggin’ scary as heck out there on prices soaring.
Many are bowing to it now, my area is feeling it, global it is going to be a train wreck.