How do poor people do carnivore?

carnivore
zero-carb-carnivore

Yup, of who we are and what works for carnivore and how ya wanna roll but the GF vs standard ol’ store is all about you in person and should never a rule ever on canivore.

but we do ‘very closely’ watch what made for us processed stuff like sausage and pepperoni and whatever thru labels of course :slight_smile: if we want to allow that as a personal choice.

My body always require a lot of food… And I don’t know why I do things backwards :smiley: But I started keto with higher carbs and lowered it later and I guess I ate 0.25-0.5 pounds of meat on carnivore first (with 1.5 on the most extermely meaty day) but I managed to reach 1.5-2 lbs, not every day, thankfully but I would do it all the time without my lots of non-meat food… I am a big mammal, I need my energy, it’s pretty normal. But it needn’t to be fancy meat. My body is happier with some simple cheap meat than the fanciest most organic or whatever carby plants (and those are super expensive when bought). It may be from my own garden, if it has sugar, that’s a problem, it’s nice to taste it carefully but that’s it. So no matter how much fruit I can grow and how poor I am (unless it’s really starvation or sugar), I can’t choose a way carbier lifestyle. Fortunately cheap carni food exists.

I will buy fresh pork from a farm in the near future. It will be more expensive but I rather eat more eggs if I must (from a good place so more expensive but so many people keeps hens here, it’s way cheaper than allegedly good eggs from a supermarket) but that stuff is good. As far as I know, pork is the meat where there are huge differences between countries and common factory meat and the best farm/home-raised meat, health-wise as well, not just taste. But I still think my body prefers any pork over lots of carbs. If someone has problem with the pork where they live, there are other cheaper options. Though I personally would be doomed without affordable (even for me!) pork…

If I can’t afford a super good quality carni woe where I am so sure I eat the best, I do the second best and eat some cheaper but still okay style… Giving up would be way worse (and more expensive too).
(But I do want to eat meat mostly from great sources in the not too far future… But for now I do the best for a healthy body that feels right.)

(Robin) #43

Great idea

yup you are feeding the body pure nutrition. It asks you and tells you what it requires mostly if we listen!

I am ‘ticked off if I planned’ a steak but hubby drags me out to some darn place and I have to eat ‘inferior to that steak I planned’ and I also find if I eat just meat and good fats from that meat I am fine…it suited my body and fed me.

Yet the mind some days LOL but in the end if we eat the meat and fat protein, any way we CAN get it we are nourished so yes, we change in our daily carnivore path and this is a great thing.

Carnivores always find ways to feed themselves :slight_smile:

(Robin) #45

I just read all the posts here. Short answer… you are fighting an uphill battle with little ammunition. Totally sucks. You are right, it is absolutely unfair. The best advice I read on here is to look for the marked down (soon to be outdated) meat. That will mean buying often and cooking immediately. But still, smart… if possible. I have always wished we had built in ways for people who are struggling to communicate and work together. Like single moms who live together and share childcare responsibilities, utilities, cars etc. I was only ever truly poor by choice and stupid decisions. I do not assume that about you. I hope you stay in touch and let us know how you are doing. Good luck.

(Polly) #46

Kelly Hogan is the long term carnivore with the McDonalds habit.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #47

One of my favorites is a Baconator double… No ketchup, no mayo and no bun…

Makes good one meal for the day… About $7

(Laurie) #48

Sometimes holiday foods can be on sale. Canadian Thanksgiving is coming up. I live in an isolated northern town. But the local stores have both ham and turkey for USD 1.50-2.00 per pound. (The ham is the basic, bone-in kind, with very low sugar/carbs.)

I’ve bought 2 whole hams, and am dividing them into meal-size packages. I have a normal size fridge; the freezer compartment holds a lot of meat.

Most chains and many independent stores have online flyers. It’s a good idea to check them regularly. You don’t have to go all over town to save a dollar here and a dollar there. But the flyers will give you an idea of which store is worth visiting this week/month. Eventually you’ll find yourself ignoring most of the stores, because their idea of a sale price will still be too expensive.

Some stores have membership programs. Although I’m single, I had a Costco membership that was definitely worthwhile. Where I am now, one of the stores offers free membership cards. You need a card in order to get the “sale” price. Worth it to me.

(Jane) #49

Either you didn’t read the OP… or just trying to help others out who are doing carnivore on a tight budget.

I don’t think 7 of these burgers would feed him for a month.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #50

I did read it. I was actually replying to the comment about McD’s.
I suppose I could have made that more clear.

What is your carnivore menu plan for $49 a month?
I really don’t have one, for carnivore or otherwise… ( For $49 )

(Jane) #51

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I don’t think I could do carnivore for $50/month with today’s food prices.

My heart goes out to the OP.

(Polly) #52

Tinned fish with eggs is nutritious and filling and if you pick the right tin of fish can be cheapish.

Tinned sardines are 40p per can here whereas tinned salmon or tuna can be ten times that amount.

I still think just feeding yourself on $50 a month is a big ask and may require some regular fasting.

(Bob M) #53

I don’t think $50/month is possible, even for high carb. Pasta is no longer cheap (I remember when it was something like 10 pounds for a dollar). Even rice and beans add up.

Anyone want to guess (let’s ignore the fact that NYC can be ridiculously expensive for pretty much everything) what a reasonable amount would be?

$50/week might be possible. Cheap eggs, ground beef, liver or other offal if you can find it, etc. The store I go to has chicken drumsticks, 0.99/pound; boneless pork loin, $1.79/pound, italian sausage links, $2.50/pound. That’s about it under $3/pound. I need about 2 pounds per day, so 14 pounds/week. $50/14 = $3.57/pound is the meat maximum.

(Edith) #54

I’m wondering if it is truly even possible to eat just healthy food in general, forget about keto and carnivore, for $12.50/week?

Costs as a carnivore: Where I live, cheap ground beef is $2.99/pound on sale. With a pound of ground beef a day plus some eggs to fill in extra, let’s say 1/2 dozen, that could already be costing about $4-5.00/day. We are talking $28-35/week. I can get chicken leg quarters pretty cheap, about $0.80/pound for a 10/lb bag. Let’s say 1.5 pounds of chicken a day and still the 1/2 dozen eggs. Now we’re talking about $3.20/day or $22.40 a week. Eating carnivore for $12.50/week is just not possible.

Canned meat and fish are not cheap. I live in Northern Virginia, a tin of sardines is pushing $3, I think. New York City is going to cost more than Northern VA. If you worked out the price per pound, I can’t imagine they would really be any cheaper than buying cheap ground beef and cheap chicken.

Keto would not be much better. The OP could possibly get away with lower protein, but for a normal person, who does not need therapeutic keto for medical issues, I think eating a tiny amount of protein and tiny amounts of vegetables a day plus tons of cheap fat would cause vitamin and mineral deficiencies over time. Plus, she is working full-time, would she really have time to go all over the place trying to find cheap sources of meat or fat?

So after all these ponderings, it brings me to the original question:

I would try eliminating the things that are known to be the most common allergenic foods: wheat and dairy. That could still leave plenty of foods, some protein, some cheaper food sources like rice and beans, less expensive fruits and veggies, and see if you notice any health benefits just from removing those foods. And then take it from there. If it makes difference, leave it out, if not, put it back in and try removing something else like eggs, nuts, soy…

Just removing gluten containing foods which are the foods that mostly tend to be junk and/or sugar filled would certainly put you in the right direction. Maybe you don’t need to go all the way to carnivore.

IDK about NY but here it’s very much possible, many people live from less, sure.
I am poor but even I don’t need to go THAT low.
But it’s surely possible in the US as well and surely people do it. Not a nice thing, that’s certain but some people have less money for food…

$50/week isn’t little at all. I see US prices here, they aren’t that far from the ones here and I never spent so much money on food unless I was on holiday.
$4/pound is my luxury meat (the cheapest beef I can get), a little every month or two. I prefer my meat costing half as much or less but if I ate chicken, it would be way cheaper (not the breast, though, not like I would pay any for that dry stuff, I am lucky I am not into lean meat).
Of course, we have no dollars here and it’s a different continent but as I read the comments, there aren’t so much difference in prices. But it’s for the US, not NY.

I probably wouldn’t lose fat at $50/month, I am creative like that. And I do want to lose fat… But maybe it would be a bit carby (I don’t count and figure it out now) and I would feel miserable. It’s truly very little money, it’s just possible, one may survive that way and I am still sure people live like that but it’s… Not good at all. It’s when you have your food and it screams at you “you are horribly poor”, I think.

(UsedToBeT2D) #56

Even harvesting your own meat is terribly expensive, when you add the cost of a license, fuel, gear, ammo, and sundries. I quit hunting years ago.

(Laurie) #57

How about dry soybeans? At an ethnic market or ethnic store you might be able to buy a big bag (20-50 pounds?) for a good price. Black soybeans have fewer net carbs. You could check a Korean market for those. Or buy online. In addition to boiling, etc., you can toast them in a dry frying pan and eat as a crunchy snack or topping.

All beans have pros and cons. There is info on the Internet. Some ketoers might look down on beans, but they can be much cheaper than meat, and probably better than grains.

I don’t think I’ve mentioned canned mackerel yet. I’ve seen the same can for a dollar in one store and $4-$5 in another. If you can find cheap canned mackerel, great. It is very fishy, but the mackerel in tomato sauce actually tastes good if you season it with curry powder, plus maybe a bit of cinnamon and hot pepper.

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #58

Not really compatible with a carnivore plan…

The mackerel is a good idea… Very nutritious…

(Laurie) #59

Sorry, I forgot OP was asking about carnivore. Curried mackerel without tomatoes then.

Wholesale clubs, most supermarkets sell meat at a pretty descent discount on it’s last couple days which you can then freeze, and of course the obvious, move out of that state and have a good life without a foot on your throat!