HIGHER dietary salt REDUCES mortality

(Steve Stephenson) #1

Part VII – Dietary Villains: Salt Scare, by Jason Fung, Sep 17, 2013:

An in-depth look at the controversy surrounding the low salt diet and whether salt reduction is beneficial leading to the surprising conclusion that salt is not nearly the dietary villain we all believed.

Dr Fung points out that reducing dietary salt increases hormones that have negative impacts on your health in much greater percentages than the percentage decrease in blood pressure, and that higher blood pressure has not been proven to be detrimental by itself. Especially, lowering dietary sodium INCREASES mortality in cardiac patients.

At the Feb 2015 Cape Town LCHF Convention, Dr Phinney discussed a new salt study at 56:55 in his presentation, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living and Performance. The study suggests that optimally we should all eat 5 g of sodium per day! (About 2.25 tsp of table salt.)

From the Background section of the Original Article, Urinary Sodium and Potassium Excretion, Mortality, and Cardiovascular Events:

Although clinical trials have shown a reduction in blood pressure with a reduced sodium intake, to our knowledge, no large randomized trial has been conducted to document reductions in the risk of cardiovascular disease with low sodium intake. Prospective cohort studies have shown inconsistent associations between sodium intake and rates of cardiovascular events and death. Several studies have shown an increased risk of cardiovascular disease or death among people consuming less than 3.0 g of sodium per day, as compared with average intake, but many of these studies included people at high cardiovascular risk, who were not representative of the general population. The association between sodium intake and cardiovascular disease is complex and may be modified by other dietary factors, such as potassium intake, which has also been associated with cardiovascular risk.

Because of the need for data from large studies examining the association between sodium intake and cardiovascular disease in general populations, we conducted a prospective cohort study that included 101,945 people from five continents. We examined the association of urinary sodium and potassium excretion with death and incident cardiovascular events.

Dr Phinney also discussed the new salt study at the beginning of ‘Interactive Workshop – Optimising LCHF for Weight Loss and Health’, Dec 16, 2016.

For comparison, “The 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend that Americans consume less than 2,300 milligrams (mg) of sodium per day.” That 2.3 g of sodium is only 46% of the new study recommended 5 g / day (N.B.: 2.25 tsp table salt has 5.23 g of sodium).

As a saltoholic, I say thanks for this!

(Steve Stephenson) #3

Just remember that mortality increases the further away from 5 g Na / day that you get. People in ketosis should err on the higher side.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #4

I wonder how much, if any, of the measured effect, has to do with iodine, rather than just sodium.

Doesn’t seem like Phinney says if the study was specific about the form or type of salt.

(Mike W.) #5

I get my Iodine from Nori.

(Richard Morris) #6

yeah me too.

(Jacquie) #7

Me, three. Nori plus local dulse. :slight_smile:

(Steve Stephenson) #8

The Original Article, Urinary Sodium and Potassium Excretion, Mortality, and Cardiovascular Events, explains that they measured sodium excretion in the urine as a proxy for sodium intake. Sodium was measured, NOT salt. So iodine had no part in this.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #9

Had no part? Or wasn’t measured?

If the source of the sodium for enough of the participants was iodized salt, the difference could be meaningful.

Not trying to be pedantic. But sometimes what’s measured isn’t necessarily what is causing the observed effect.

(Barbara Greenwood) #10

I’m pretty sure that my salt intake will have fallen since going keto, because I no longer eat the processed foods which used to be my major sauce. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t hold back with the salt mill when cooking… or making salad… and of course I eat bacon :slight_smile:

Yesterday, I was having some macadamias and found myself craving salt with them… so I added a couple of twists. Yum! Still not sure I’m getting anywhere near 2 teaspoons per day, though…

(Steve Stephenson) #11

That link no longer works, but the presentation is now on Diet Doctor: Low-Carb Living.

22 video presentations from Cape Town LCHF Conference 2015 are on Diet Doctor (membership is free for first month).

As an updated note, it seems our dear friends over at the American Heart Association have lately taken to recommending less than 1.5 grams of sodium a day now.

Gotta love their language on the advisory pages when “debunking” the idea that maybe the association between sodium and health risks isn’t there (actually, it is there, it’s just not the story they want). “Science clearly supports the link”, ‘the evidence is clear’, etc (without citing anything other than other AHA pages that do the same thing and don’t provide any backup). Oh, and I love this bit on their debunking myths about sodium science: “[AHA gudilines] that include advice for sodium consumption were developed after a review of 30 sodium sudies and endorsed by these organizations:…”. No citation of the studies to be found, and let’s go with argument from number of authorities I guess, though the handful of associations seem like just random groups mostly with “American” in front of them.

Dig deep enough and you may eventually come to this pdf: http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/circulationaha/129/25_suppl_2/S76.full.pdf
This finally has some citations at the bottom.

But, seems they are clear enough anyway that what they are really seeing in whatever evidence they are looking at is a link between lowering sodium intake and lowering blood pressure. We are expected to just accept that lowering blood pressure lowers risk of heart attack, just like we are expected to accept that lowering LDL levels lowers risk of heart attack (actually, seems these two factors are typically considered together, along with swapping saturated fats for carbohydrates, monounsaturated fats and polyunsaturated fats [not distinguished at least in the guideline itself in many places).

They are also the things doctors typically write prescriptions for together, blood pressure med and statin.

(Jane Reed) #14

Barbara, like you I doubt I’m getting near 2 teaspoons of salt per day. The amount of food I eat has dropped so I’m getting less there, and I’m not one of those people who can just pour some salt in her mouth and let it melt. It literally makes me gag.

I just love the systematic denial of the beautiful, elegant solution to the world’s health crisis.

YES, salt kills. YES, fat kills. BUT ONLY IF YOU’RE OVEREATING CARBS.

Eliminate the carbs, and salt and fat work as they should: To optimize our health and prolong life.

Thank goodness some of us have started catching on.

(Steve Stephenson) #16

You might try a pinch under your tongue occasionally but regularly and gradually increase it. It is, after all (per the study and the book The Salt Fix), life saving.

(Steve Stephenson) #17

I get my iodine from wild-caught Alaskan lox and canned bone-in wild North Pacific sardines.

(Kathy L) #18

Sorry-what’s Nori?

(Mike W.) #19

Dried seaweed. Can buy packs of it at Costco or most grocery stores.

I think this is essentially the same information, from LC Down Under last year (Breckenridge?). https://youtu.be/Qk0U006YZ2w?t=641

Tell me if I’m wrong and I’ll delete it. Or change it. Or something.