HIGHER dietary salt REDUCES mortality

(Steve Stephenson) #21

Yes, but your link was published on Jan 14, 2017 on YouTube whereas my link was for a presentation given almost 2 years prior.

I already know about not restricting salt thanks to listening to Stephen Phinney and Gary Taubes, but The Salt Fix book was an exceptional read. Two revelation from the book was that low carber lose electrolytes faster and need more salt than the average person, not in the grand scheme, but in the sense that high carb processed foods causes their retention, and that salt help with satiety. So I’m using salt even more liberally now, of course I also balance sodium intake with potassium.

(Steve Stephenson) #23

Phinney and the cited study are not clear as to what constitutes an optimal potassium intake, and somewhere I read that we should be careful about too much potassium. So I’ve taken to using ancient sea salts (first Himalayan Pink and now Redmond Real) on the theory that we evolved in those ancient seas so their salts are probably best.

I’m less sophisticated, I take a kelp pill with the rest of my pile. I gotta eat more seafood.

(Clare) #25

Not sure if it’s available in the USA but if I need salt I have a cup of Bovril. It’s a beef tea concentrate (also available in chicken). It has a couple of g of carbs per cup but it’s delicious and it’s salty. Also, once you adjust your palette, you can add extra salt to the cup. It’s designed to be a drink rather than a bouillon cube which is designed to be incorporated into other things. I always take a cup of it with me into a hot bath because it stops the slight light headedness I get in the heat. It comes in a wee glass jar and is easy to carry with you.

(Steve Stephenson) #26

I’m now wondering if this is a good model given that the body stores salt as shown in an MRI in this TED talk:

12:31 … if you are on a diet please do not go home tonight and eat more salt and hope that you will lose more weight …
first of all, you will be powerfully hungry …
second, the hormonal changes … induce[d] are really not … healthy, and
third, … you won’t take the calories from the fat you will lose muscle mass and that’s not the kind of weight loss you’ve been dreaming of …

Peer reviewed paper: https://www.jci.org/articles/view/88532

A most important study, I consume a teaspoon of salt + potassium in two cups of warm water first thing every morning it keeps muscle spasms away and the heart is a muscle. Mmmmmm!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

The Low Carb Down Under YouTube channel also has several versions of that talk, given by Dr. Phinney at various LCDU events in Australia and the U.S.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #29

The pilot study done by the researchers at McGill, whose papers Dr. Phinney is referring to in the lecture you linked to, seemed to indicate that the first urine of the day provided a reliable indicator of salt intake over the previous 24 hours. I don’t remember all the theory behind it, but I do remember that they compared the urine with the actual salt intake in order to find a simple way of getting an indication of how much salt the participants in the main study would be consuming.

I wouldn’t say that just any urine sample would necessarily track like that; it was the first urine of the day that they decided could be used in place of locking up thousands of people to get an idea of how much salt they were eating. It sounded convincing when I read it; I just wish I could remember the whole article. (argh)